What's he doing??

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
I apologize. I thought I'd posted a sarcastic emoji at the end of my response. I honestly didn't intend for it to be taken seriously. (the one about practicing against the TO)

re:Offense change - PJ's retirement forced us to make the change. Hiring another TO guy would've kept us in the 7-win malaise of 2017-18 for the foreseeable future. It was time for a change. I just hope we find a different OC. I'm not impressed with this P-nut guy so far.
No worries! We can agree to disagree.

You could be right or I could be right, at the end of the day, we both care because we want Tech to be successful.

Last edited:

Scubapro

Banned
I remember Spurrier saying something to the effect of not staying in one place more than ten years because people will be sick of you no matter what.
PJ was a great ambassador for Tech but his time had passed. He was more of a Tech man that many graduates I know.
People talk sheet about him 'quitting' but realize this. He left several million dollars on the table by resigning. How many people love Tech enough to basically give away a few million dollars. Chan certainly didn't. Paul Hewitt didn't. O'leary still owes us a million or two if I'm not mistaken.
Love him or hate him...doesn't matter. He was a Tech statesman.
Now...let's hope GeeHoff leads the best coaching turnaround in history.
Go Jackets

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Then you’ve got to manage the expectations. I’m guessing we expected a much bigger splash. I say that because we dissuaded some of those we had been recruiting. You only do that if you think you’re trading up. When you start getting rambunctious in your proclamations, well the expectations get raised.

Many on here seem like they never had a “new hire” Leader that got off to a bad start. It’s not easy to repair/recover, but many a man has done just that. Time will tell on coach.

Obviously this is all just my opinion.

Insightful post but honestly expectations really weren't raised outside of the GT fans who did so based on their own reasons and/or biases. I think the outside predictions...people removed enough to see the forest from the trees...were on target. Those of the fans weren't, because we are fans. (Yes, many will reply that the experts have been wrong before...and that is correct). Why do I trust the external vs. internal predictions? It's easy to explan...when we evaluate our team, I am willing to bet that most of us on this board could not name 5 starters on any other ACC team (I know I couldn't). So we make predictions in a vacuum. I participated in the weekly FB prediction contest and picked Tech. I have seen 0 seconds of UNC and know nothing about them outside of knowing who their HC is.

As far as relating to our work experience, I would venture to say most of us over 40 on this board have hired and fired managers. Some of them recover from a bad start, others don't. The ones who don't usually come in with a fixed idea of how things "should be done" based on their prior work experiences.If they don't have a very broad tool kit they usually die as they keep repeating the same things over and again but just yell louder and push harder. They cannot or will not adapt to the realities of their new situations. As I overheard once about a so-called superstar guy who came into our company (different location) with allegedly impeccable credentials and left just over a year later with his tail tucked between his legs..."his only tool was a hammer so every problem looked like a nail". Summed up the guy and situation nicely. It will be interesting to see the adaptations CGC makes short term but he has some very severe constraints at the moment that in my mind justify a multi-year commitment. As you say, time will tell...I agree wholeheartedly with this,

99in99

Georgia Tech Fan
We didn't agree on much, other than the current QB carousel is ineffective.

You said TO would be starting out of PJ's loyalty to his QB's. Those were your words, and I do not agree with that. I think PJ plays whoever is best at QB. That is where our disagreement is.

I did NOT say that. I did not say "would be starting".

Please quote me correctly or not at all.

What I did say, pasted from my exact post:

me said:
Given PJ's loyalty to QBs, it's more likely and realistic to assume that either TO or LJ would've won the starting job, with the other being backup...

I stand behind that and do not believe JG would've seen meaningful snaps in 2019 had PJ stayed. Who knows though.

I also think that the offense in 2018 absolutely ran better with TO back there. Ratliffe isn't a part of the conversation, sadly. I'm glad PJ honored his scholly.

I still don't see any inconsistencies in anything I typed. I don't see any consistencies out of P-nut's offense either. Let's hope that changes ASAP.

LibertyTurns

Banned
@4shotB Interesting observation from where I live but the consensus was GT would immediately ratchet up a level because CGC’s UF pedigree & Key’s UCF/Bammer, etc.Then there’s Choice, Coleman, etc and many cited, GT’s back. I was the one saying not so fast but they’d see the helicopter, they’d hear the proclamations, catch snippets of interviews like the soccer deal & the Waffle House plugs plus the 404 junk, etc. In today’s world results and track record matter less than a bunch of sound bites so they all started doing like the mutts do proclaiming themselves pre-season Nat’l Champs except applying it to GT. Very odd, but just as soon as they bit now it’s all WTF? I never envisioned us plummeting, because I thought we’d improve greatly on D & offense would struggle some but be serviceable. I’m hopeful I’m not wrong about the D, but I have to say my thoughts on the O have been wildly wrong. I guess our WRs would outperform, thought we’d have a running game, was concerned the QBs could not stretch the field. I did think we’d could run dink & dunk, screen passes, quick stuff, etc. I still think we can if we can stop the merry go round.

Let’s turn a page today & make some good news!

Go Jackets!!!!

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
I did NOT say that. I did not say "would be starting".

Please quote me correctly or not at all.

What I did say, pasted from my exact post:

I stand behind that and do not believe JG would've seen meaningful snaps in 2019 had PJ stayed. Who knows though.

I also think that the offense in 2018 absolutely ran better with TO back there. Ratliffe isn't a part of the conversation, sadly. I'm glad PJ honored his scholly.

I still don't see any inconsistencies in anything I typed. I don't see any consistencies out of P-nut's offense either. Let's hope that changes ASAP.
Obviously I was paraphrasing you, but what's the difference between "would be starting" or "would have won the starting job"?

Also what TO ran was around 1/4 of the actual offense, you can go back and look at the film. Besides I'd take a proven coaches decision over yours.

I also said let's agree to disagree, but you have some vendetta that you must pursue, so there's no dealing with you.

Go Jackets!

99in99

Georgia Tech Fan
Obviously I was paraphrasing you, but what's the difference between "would be starting" or "would have won the starting job"?

Also what TO ran was around 1/4 of the actual offense, you can go back and look at the film. Besides I'd take a proven coaches decision over yours.

I also said let's agree to disagree, but you have some vendetta that you must pursue, so there's no dealing with you.

Go Jackets!

you misquoted me. That's the issue. Your refusal to own that doesn't change the fact that I clearly did NOT say what you continue to falsely attribute to me even after I self-quoted. In this very thread, I admitted I erroneously left off a sarcasm emoji on a response and directly, immediately apologized to you for that failure.

The difference between what you claim I said and what I actually said was that I never stated that TO would've 100% won the job, as you continue to wrongly, falsely insist. I clearly said that he or LJ would've won the job.

I doubt I have to explain the difference between the statements "John Doe WILL start" and "Either John Doe or Joe Blow will start" to you and I doubt you'll apologize for falsely quoting me due to the vendetta I'm seeing as it pertains to certain topics.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
re: CGC - ask me again at the end of the season. Trying to project his possibility of success thru a mere 4 games with us is dumb stuff.

I think Woody was in over his head because at the end of season 1 of Woody, we were still missing open-field tackles, taking awful lines towards ball carriers, and playing that stupid soft coverage yards off the LOS. This, at the end of the season. I saw no real improvement nor player development. We had 11 straight years of terrible D under PJ. It's a statistically anomalous to assume that suddenly would've changed in year 12. Dumb stuff.

I've not commented on CGC here so am not guilty of anything resembling "logical hypocrisy". What I said isn't "dumb stuff" either but based on an entire season of observation. Opining that JG might've transferred is just that - an opinion. It's no worse than the complete speculation that, had PJ stayed we would've been awesome or "likely would've won 9+ games" or other nonsensical predictions I've read. Given PJ's loyalty to QBs, it's more likely and realistic to assume that either TO or LJ would've won the starting job, with the other being backup...than it is to think PJ takes the plunge and goes with the guy 3rd on the depth chart. Literally, he never did that so assuming he'd suddenly change his coaching ways in year 12 is also dumb stuff.

There was no illogical criticism of PJ in my response so I guess that comment was directed elsewhere.
So, here are what I read as your arguments:
1. CPJ had 11 straight years of terrible D. CNW had 1 bad year of D (in year 1) and 8 straight years of great D afterward. So, you choose to go with calling a prediction of better D under CNW from his second year forward "statistically anomalous".
Here's the thing. The other DC's CPJ was allowed (and was given the money) to hire put up numbers that weren't statistically anomalous to their own records as DC's. So, 11 straight years of terrible D would be somewhat expected from the resources we put into it. However, CPJ didn't accept the status quo. Rather he found a guy he COULD afford that was also the best hire possible from an objective, stats-based standpoint. If CNW had continued to have bad defenses at GT after the first year, that would seem to be more "statistically anomalous" than your argument.

2. You say that CPJ is loyal to the elder statesman at QB even if someone else is better.
This is complete rubbish. In fact, our last QB, Taquan Marshall was at best 3rd string going into the Spring. It was fully expected that Matthew Jordan would win the job. But, instead, an AB moves positions and wins the job ... because he was the best QB and won the job in practice. He wasn't the best QB we ever had, but it was obvious he was the best QB we had at the time, which is why CPJ chose him.

3. You assume here and in a later post we would be stuck in a malaise of mediocrity with 6-7 win seasons with CPJ or another option coach.
The historical facts don't support that assumption at all either. We certainly didn't have a malaise of mediocrity with those types of seasons. Here are our win totals over the 11 years: 9, 11, 6, 8, 7, 7, 11, 3, 9, 5, 7. I don't see a predictable pattern, do you? What I do see is a team who was usually good and could be very (even ridiculously) good with just a couple of key pieces. I don't see how you could predict 7-win seasons from that previous record. If we get a couple of key pieces ... like a Graham/Yates/Knight QB, a Malachi Carter WR, a Kenny Cooper/Jahaziel Lee/Parker Braun/Connor Hansen/Zach Quinney OL, a 3-headed JP Mason/Jerry Howard/Kirvonte Benson BB, and a Dontae Smith/Tobias Oliver/Omahri Jarrett/Christian Malloy AB ... that's a squad that could be as good as any we've had on offense. I think there's a good chance we're looking at 9-11 wins again. And, that's with the offense carrying everything ... Now, imagine that with a defense that is top 20. CAN YOU IMAGINE THAT??? We're talking a team that can win the Coastal, beat Ugag at its pinnacle, and compete with Clemson (ON OUR BUDGET!).

Now, our only hope of that kind of team (one where we are competitive on the national stage) is that we have to recruit top 5 classes AND hope that our coaches are at least as good as the other top 10 programs (who pour in LOT more money, have way bigger stadiums, and way less academic rigor).

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
I remember Spurrier saying something to the effect of not staying in one place more than ten years because people will be sick of you no matter what.
PJ was a great ambassador for Tech but his time had passed. He was more of a Tech man that many graduates I know.
People talk sheet about him 'quitting' but realize this. He left several million dollars on the table by resigning. How many people love Tech enough to basically give away a few million dollars. Chan certainly didn't. Paul Hewitt didn't. O'leary still owes us a million or two if I'm not mistaken.
Love him or hate him...doesn't matter. He was a Tech statesman.
Now...let's hope GeeHoff leads the best coaching turnaround in history.
Go Jackets
Why had his time passed? I just don't see any logic to this kind of statement. If he'd taken a very loaded squad (from an option standpoint) and a defense that was expected to make a big jump in year 2 and won a bunch of games, would people still be making that statement? If we went to another Orange Bowl, would his time have passed? I seriously doubt it. I imagine folks would be on the bandwagon and clamoring for him to stay or if he chose to retire then clamoring for the hiring of one of his proteges. It just seems like short-memory-syndrome.

Animal02

Banned
So, here are what I read as your arguments:
1. CPJ had 11 straight years of terrible D. CNW had 1 bad year of D (in year 1) and 8 straight years of great D afterward. So, you choose to go with calling a prediction of better D under CNW from his second year forward "statistically anomalous".
Here's the thing. The other DC's CPJ was allowed (and was given the money) to hire put up numbers that weren't statistically anomalous to their own records as DC's. So, 11 straight years of terrible D would be somewhat expected from the resources we put into it. However, CPJ didn't accept the status quo. Rather he found a guy he COULD afford that was also the best hire possible from an objective, stats-based standpoint. If CNW had continued to have bad defenses at GT after the first year, that would seem to be more "statistically anomalous" than your argument.

2. You say that CPJ is loyal to the elder statesman at QB even if someone else is better.
This is complete rubbish. In fact, our last QB, Taquan Marshall was at best 3rd string going into the Spring. It was fully expected that Matthew Jordan would win the job. But, instead, an AB moves positions and wins the job ... because he was the best QB and won the job in practice. He wasn't the best QB we ever had, but it was obvious he was the best QB we had at the time, which is why CPJ chose him.

3. You assume here and in a later post we would be stuck in a malaise of mediocrity with 6-7 win seasons with CPJ or another option coach.
The historical facts don't support that assumption at all either. We certainly didn't have a malaise of mediocrity with those types of seasons. Here are our win totals over the 11 years: 9, 11, 6, 8, 7, 7, 11, 3, 9, 5, 7. I don't see a predictable pattern, do you? What I do see is a team who was usually good and could be very (even ridiculously) good with just a couple of key pieces. I don't see how you could predict 7-win seasons from that previous record. If we get a couple of key pieces ... like a Graham/Yates/Knight QB, a Malachi Carter WR, a Kenny Cooper/Jahaziel Lee/Parker Braun/Connor Hansen/Zach Quinney OL, a 3-headed JP Mason/Jerry Howard/Kirvonte Benson BB, and a Dontae Smith/Tobias Oliver/Omahri Jarrett/Christian Malloy AB ... that's a squad that could be as good as any we've had on offense. I think there's a good chance we're looking at 9-11 wins again. And, that's with the offense carrying everything ... Now, imagine that with a defense that is top 20. CAN YOU IMAGINE THAT??? We're talking a team that can win the Coastal, beat Ugag at its pinnacle, and compete with Clemson (ON OUR BUDGET!).

Now, our only hope of that kind of team (one where we are competitive on the national stage) is that we have to recruit top 5 classes AND hope that our coaches are at least as good as the other top 10 programs (who pour in LOT more money, have way bigger stadiums, and way less academic rigor).
Yes, yes,and yes.......we also have to hope to keep the future top 5 classes academically eligible as well as trouble free.....which has NOT been a given in the past.

Scubapro

Banned
Why had his time passed? I just don't see any logic to this kind of statement. If he'd taken a very loaded squad (from an option standpoint) and a defense that was expected to make a big jump in year 2 and won a bunch of games, would people still be making that statement? If we went to another Orange Bowl, would his time have passed? I seriously doubt it. I imagine folks would be on the bandwagon and clamoring for him to stay or if he chose to retire then clamoring for the hiring of one of his proteges. It just seems like short-memory-syndrome.
I will preface this with saying some of this is just conjecture.
After the 2nd orange bowl and after beating Kerrbea out of the gate he realized the press and local high school coaches were NEVER going to give him his due.
PJ was LOVED by high school coaches when he was at Southern. They clamored to point him to 2nd tier players.
But when he showed up wearing Tech gold most of them gave him the middle finger because you know...dis be dawg cuntry.
He realized no matter how hard he recruited it wouldn't matter. You would have *** hats like David PoeLock all chirping that you are running a high school offense that plays dirty and cant get you to the NFL.
The bad part is I witnessed people, that couldnt tell you the difference between a zone and man to man coverage, parrot that narrative.
His time had passed because he knew nothing short of winning back to back national championships was going to change the attitude of most of the state.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Because he decided for himself that his time had passed?

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
Because he decided for himself that his time had passed?
His time coaching, because he was 62 and had coached for 40 years. Not because he had been at Tech for 11 of those ... which, I think you probably know, is what people are saying when they say that. People who make this statement are stating that his time at GT had passed, not that he was ready to retire.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
So many excellent points in this post. This is the highlight. People assume you get a good recruiting class and that's it. You still have to develope and put that talent in a position to be effective.

The thing is that this recruiting class is not much different recruiting ranking wise from previous classes.

And I will say that the last coaching staff had a nack for picking under the radar fans.

I will preface this with saying some of this is just conjecture.
After the 2nd orange bowl and after beating Kerrbea out of the gate he realized the press and local high school coaches were NEVER going to give him his due.
PJ was LOVED by high school coaches when he was at Southern. They clamored to point him to 2nd tier players.
But when he showed up wearing Tech gold most of them gave him the middle finger because you know...dis be dawg cuntry.
He realized no matter how hard he recruited it wouldn't matter. You would have *** hats like David PoeLock all chirping that you are running a high school offense that plays dirty and cant get you to the NFL.
The bad part is I witnessed people, that couldnt tell you the difference between a zone and man to man coverage, parrot that narrative.
His time had passed because he knew nothing short of winning back to back national championships was going to change the attitude of most of the state.

He was chastised because he could beat Georgia and that was just wrong in the state with 80% mutt fans.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
I think Paul’s decline has more to do with the NFL than anything. If NFL teams were run-heavy then more recruits would’ve been interested in a run-heavy offense in college. Since that’s not the case, NFL seeking recruits looked elsewhere. Love it or hate it, the TO works. I can only imagine what kind of havoc we could’ve caused given a fair amount of 4-stars.

I wish him luck and I really enjoyed his time on the Flats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk