What's he doing??

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Unfortunately he's not coaching what would have been a pretty loaded GT team, and that apparently has a good defense this year... Oliver, Kirvonte Benson, Jordan Mason, Dontae Smith, Jerry Howard, Parker Braun, etc.
A loaded GT team? Have you seen the roster? It already has the least amount of returning production in the country. An OLine that would’ve struggled to produce even in a TO scheme, and probably would’ve lost 2 huge pieces of GTs future in recruiting in Griffin and Yates. Would a CPJ coached team be better than 1-3? Probably. But they would have probably struggled to win 6, just like they struggled to win 7 last year, and then got embarrassed by Minnesota in the bowl game last year. Is CGC the right man for the job? I don’t know and can’t really form an answer until at least halfway through next season after we see what kind of adjustments he’s capable of. But if CPJ hung around for a few more years, we would probably win a few more games, in the 5-8 range, but it would that be worth further decreasing excitement around the program? That’s for you to answer

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I’m glad for him that he no longer has to suffer idiots making false statements about his scheme. I’m glad for him that he no longer has to fight for resources that were never gonna come.

I’m glad for myself that it’s no longer necessary to point out the fallacies CPJ haters spewed. I never want to see the 3O back at Tech myself. I’d rather see us fail with everything else than listen to the BS blaming Institutional failures on his scheme.

It’s a new era. Time for new excuses thank the Lord.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
A loaded GT team? Have you seen the roster? It already has the least amount of returning production in the country. An OLine that would’ve struggled to produce even in a TO scheme, and probably would’ve lost 2 huge pieces of GTs future in recruiting in Griffin and Yates. Would a CPJ coached team be better than 1-3? Probably. But they would have probably struggled to win 6, just like they struggled to win 7 last year, and then got embarrassed by Minnesota in the bowl game last year. Is CGC the right man for the job? I don’t know and can’t really form an answer until at least halfway through next season after we see what kind of adjustments he’s capable of. But if CPJ hung around for a few more years, we would probably win a few more games, in the 5-8 range, but it would that be worth further decreasing excitement around the program? That’s for you to answer
You do know that it was CPJ who roped in Yates, right? But, to the question.

I don't know what he is doing, but if Collins turns out to be B*** L**** (mark 2), I hope he'll be willing to advise whoever the AD is on who to pick next to run the program. And, yes, that does mean that I anticipate that both Collins and TStan could be gone within three years. I doubt it, but I remember the L**** years and their aftermath. That could happen again.

But let's hope not.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
photos.medleyphoto.6464730.jpg

This. He is still hates uga which makes him a great man in my book.

slugboy

Staff member
You do know that it was CPJ who roped in Yates, right? But, to the question.

I don't know what he is doing, but if Collins turns out to be B*** L**** (mark 2), I hope he'll be willing to advise whoever the AD is on who to pick next to run the program. And, yes, that does mean that I anticipate that both Collins and TStan could be gone within three years. I doubt it, but I remember the L**** years and their aftermath. That could happen again.

But let's hope not.

I was around in grad school when Lewis was a coach. I knew players on the team.

Whether or not Collins succeeds, he’s not Bill Lewis (It’s been long enough, I can spell it out). He was always uncomfortable in his own skin; Collins is the opposite. The current coaches seem to have a good relationship with the players; Lewis didn’t. There have been objections about the offensive scheme and hype, both of which have zero to do with Lewis.

Way back to the original “loaded team”, Kirvonte Benson wasn’t coming back. Braun was going whether or not Johnson stayed (and his father said so on this board). We did lose a ton of production off of both sides. I suspect we’d be 2-2 or 1-3 if he’d come back (win against Citadel and maybe USF)

I’ve said that Johnson is a hall of fame coach (and gotten flak for it). But the last few years have been in decline and the moving average gets rid of the cherry picking of picking 3 years vs 4 years vs 5 years:

Bill Connelly (@ESPN_BillC) Tweeted:
Georgia Tech’s S&P+ history, from divorces to titles to the triple option. The Wreck are unique, I’ll say that much. https://t.co/6xQecPWXoA

The trend line for our team, overall, is down over the last decade, even if there are high points.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer

Whether or not Collins succeeds, he’s not Bill Lewis (It’s been long enough, I can spell it out). He was always uncomfortable in his own skin; Collins is the opposite. The current coaches seem to have a good relationship with the players; Lewis didn’t. There have been objections about the offensive scheme and hype, both of which have zero to do with Lewis.
I don't doubt that all this is true.

I also doubt if it will mean as much as a bucket of warm spit if we have two or three 1 - 11 seasons. Lewis isn't disdained for his lack of rapport with the players; that is seldom something that makes a huge difference with coaching success (See Saban, Lou or Devine, Dan). He was and is a measure of coaching incompetence at Tech because of how poorly coached his teams obviously were on the field and because he lost too boot. So far the present regime is not encouraging on either count.

Jacketman

Jolly Good Fellow

Way back to the original “loaded team”, Kirvonte Benson wasn’t coming back. Braun was going whether or not Johnson stayed (and his father said so on this board). We did lose a ton of production off of both sides. I suspect we’d be 2-2 or 1-3 if he’d come back (win against Citadel and maybe USF)

I’ve said that Johnson is a hall of fame coach (and gotten flak for it). But the last few years have been in decline and the moving average gets rid of the cherry picking of picking 3 years vs 4 years vs 5 years:

Georgia Tech’s S&P+ history, from divorces to titles to the triple option. The Wreck are unique, I’ll say that much. https://t.co/6xQecPWXoA

The trend line for our team, overall, is down over the last decade, even if there are high points.

Any idea what Kirvonte is up to now? Was he just done with football?

Animal02

Banned

And the downward trend follows the same path as does the spending on football in relation to the rest of the ACC. You spend like Wake Forest....you get Wake Forest like results.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
I’m glad for him that he no longer has to suffer idiots making false statements about his scheme. I’m glad for him that he no longer has to fight for resources that were never gonna come.

I’m glad for myself that it’s no longer necessary to point out the fallacies CPJ haters spewed. I never want to see the 3O back at Tech myself. I’d rather see us fail with everything else than listen to the BS blaming Institutional failures on his scheme.

It’s a new era. Time for new excuses thank the Lord.

Unfortunately, right now it’s still time for the poor recruiting angle on Johnson.

slugboy

Staff member
And the downward trend follows the same path as does the spending on football in relation to the rest of the ACC. You spend like Wake Forest....you get Wake Forest like results.

He was having recruiting challenges even in his first two seasons, when he was the hottest coach around. The downward trend started before the spending gap emerged.

Animal02

Banned
He was having recruiting challenges even in his first two seasons, when he was the hottest coach around. The downward trend started before the spending gap emerged.

I said early on, he made the mistake of thinking he could out recruit in the south. I knew from day one that wasn't going to work out. Tech needs a nation / international recruiting program to bring in the needles in the haystack have the academic creds and want to major in something TEch offers. (Or course recruiting nationally takes money.....and that was a dwindling resource over the CPJ years)

GTjunkie

Jolly Good Fellow
I would take that in a heartbeat. Especially, the competent offense.

Old South Stands

Jolly Good Fellow
I said early on, he made the mistake of thinking he could out recruit in the south. I knew from day one that wasn't going to work out. Tech needs a nation / international recruiting program to bring in the needles in the haystack have the academic creds and want to major in something TEch offers. (Or course recruiting nationally takes money.....and that was a dwindling resource over the CPJ years)
I like this idea a lot. One of the things that made Ross and O'Leary as successful as they were was the more 'national' scope of their recruiting. Between them and Friedgen, they had the whole Atlantic Seaboard to work with because of where they'd come from. At the same time, the Tech brand already had a degree of recognition outside the Southeast because of Bobby Cremins. A prospective player up in New York may have heard of Tech because of the basketball program and decided to give the football recruiters a listen.