What would you most like to see tomorrow night (other than a win)?

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Thought this might be fun.

• Sims protecting the ball well when in a crowd and seeing his progressions even when looking to run
  • Penalty yards well less than 40
  • Placekicks hit so they get up quickly (and of course, we make them)
  • No wasted timeouts due to confusion
  • Run the ball, run the ball, run the ball (also, passes to our talented RB's)
  • 2 or more sacks from our D (hurries and pressures up as well)
  • Better coverage (help) from safeties on downfield passes
  • And, of course, 100% red zone TD's, and we get there at least 4 times
  • At least one of the top 2 TE's available even though not listed on the ATL (also, be good if one more DL is available not showing)
  • No further "scratches" between now and tomorrow due to covid
I know, it is a young team, and I am asking for a lot - oh well, we can ask for anything. :) I could have gone on and on, but wanted to leave some for others.

Win. Literally nothing else matters. This game is pivotal for both teams, which is one reason why it is intriguing. For one team, the new season starts the second the game ends. For the other, it may well be the start of a downward spiral to a really bad season mitigated only by the COVID *

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Need to contain the run, not allow explosive plays for TD, tighten up in the RZ defensively. I don't think we need to be lights out there, but we can't let them keep us on our heels.

Offensively, I expect Sims to have to do some work. They are attacking the gaps on D, but at the same time they are trying to be discipline sound instead of creating havoc/turnovers. I think we can exploit some matchups here, but if we end up trying to force something that's not working it will be rough. Sims will have time to make some reads on several plays, and he'll have space to step up on others. But if he tries to take off too soon when the play is still developing or tries to hold on to the ball when someone up front gets beat, we'll be in trouble.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
If we cut our penalties down by half, we'll have a chance.

We have a frosh QB; he's going to turn the ball over. I mean, that's what they do.

Oh, and a 100% improvement in place-kicking would sure help. True, that would only get us to 40%, but at this point, I'll take anything.

roedeo

Jolly Good Fellow
Not watching #6 get tossed around by OLs and not watching him fall behind RBs coming out of the backfield for short passes.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
- Adjustments in Nickel and Dime personnel so we have better matchups (so no slot receiver vs Charlie Thomas), Tre Swilling's presence should help with that.
- New red zone packages, since we have with only 2 TE's being in the ATL chart again, although this could be gamesmaship by Collins.
- Jeff Sims making some pre-snap protection adjustments or audibles to avoid free blitzers
- More Dontae Smith
- How Antoneous Clayton looks after being able to practice normally for 2 weeks
- A better screen game, relative to what the D shows/allows
Some UoL pundits have said that Syracuse and UCF went after our bigger corners with the deep ball. Couldnt react to turn fast enough and they got separation. I haven't watched a replay so not sure. We do have some big guys in our secondary that are more LB sized. If true we will see more of that.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, #1 and #2 on defense have been MIA this year. We have a lot of holes that can only be fixed thru recruiting on the defensive side.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Some UoL pundits have said that Syracuse and UCF went after our bigger corners with the deep ball. Couldnt react to turn fast enough and they got separation. I haven't watched a replay so not sure. We do have some big guys in our secondary that are more LB sized. If true we will see more of that.

I don't think that would be smart because the weakest part of their team is probably the offensive line. Can they hold up in pass blocking? Cunningham got hit so often against Pitt its a wonder he was able to walk off the field after 7 sacks.

slugboy

Staff member
Special Teams:
  • On kickoff returns, players keep their lanes and don't let a free player run through to the return man
  • On kickoff coverage, maintain gaps/lanes (don't leave a huge hole for the other team to run through)
  • On field goals and extra points, get the ball up. Also, maintain blocks, especially on the left side on the edge
  • Kick it deep on kickoffs
  • Punts: Hope I don't see you guys. Otherwise, maintain discipline.
Offense
  • Solid pocket on passing plays
  • Smart checkdowns to "pressure relief" options out of the backfield (i.e. if there's a free RB running out of the backfield, get them the ball).
  • Receiver separation, like we saw at FSU
  • Patenaude: Set up a mismatch--a speed guy covered by a linebacker or a tall TE against a short nickel/cornerback.
  • Two of our running backs involved; one on the dive, with the other getting the pitch out of the slot; make their defense make a choice
  • Sims/QB pulling the ball if there are no other options.
  • QB: Make quick reads, including seeing where the other team is. FSU had a couple of bad ones.
  • RBs: On passes, on your way out, chip anyone you see. No free passes to the QB.
  • Receivers: If you're not the motion man, you're set. No movement until the snap.
  • Overall: line up correctly, do your assignment (right route, right block), and know the snap count.
Defense
  • CBs: If you're in tight coverage, stick your guy on the line and prevent a quick release. Get your hips and feet right. Don't let him cross you.
  • Safeties: Don't let anyone past you.
  • Overall defense: 1) make the tackle; 2) If you can't do "1)", hold on long enough for the rest of the guys to pile on.
  • LBs: If we're in a 4-2-5, hit your hole fast and not someone else's.
  • EDGE: You've been really good. Get in there and make a tackle in the backfield.
  • DT: PUSH! Stay low and play fierce. Swap in as many guys as we can. Keep your spot.
  • DBs/LBs: If we blitz, GET THERE. Go all out.
  • Thacker: Show your stuff. Attack Satterfield's guys.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Special Teams:
  • On kickoff returns, players keep their lanes and don't let a free player run through to the return man
  • On kickoff coverage, maintain gaps/lanes (don't leave a huge hole for the other team to run through)
  • On field goals and extra points, get the ball up. Also, maintain blocks, especially on the left side on the edge
  • Kick it deep on kickoffs
  • Punts: Hope I don't see you guys. Otherwise, maintain discipline.
Offense
  • Solid pocket on passing plays
  • Smart checkdowns to "pressure relief" options out of the backfield (i.e. if there's a free RB running out of the backfield, get them the ball).
  • Receiver separation, like we saw at FSU
  • Patenaude: Set up a mismatch--a speed guy covered by a linebacker or a tall TE against a short nickel/cornerback.
  • Two of our running backs involved; one on the dive, with the other getting the pitch out of the slot; make their defense make a choice
  • Sims/QB pulling the ball if there are no other options.
  • QB: Make quick reads, including seeing where the other team is. FSU had a couple of bad ones.
  • RBs: On passes, on your way out, chip anyone you see. No free passes to the QB.
  • Receivers: If you're not the motion man, you're set. No movement until the snap.
  • Overall: line up correctly, do your assignment (right route, right block), and know the snap count.
Defense
  • CBs: If you're in tight coverage, stick your guy on the line and prevent a quick release. Get your hips and feet right. Don't let him cross you.
  • Safeties: Don't let anyone past you.
  • Overall defense: 1) make the tackle; 2) If you can't do "1)", hold on long enough for the rest of the guys to pile on.
  • LBs: If we're in a 4-2-5, hit your hole fast and not someone else's.
  • EDGE: You've been really good. Get in there and make a tackle in the backfield.
  • DT: PUSH! Stay low and play fierce. Swap in as many guys as we can. Keep your spot.
  • DBs/LBs: If we blitz, GET THERE. Go all out.
  • Thacker: Show your stuff. Attack Satterfield's guys.
Good, someone created a much longer list than mine. :)

slugboy

Staff member
Good, someone created a much longer list than mine. :)
Bill Murray Drink GIF

Josh H

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm going simple:

On defense - I have just two requests. #1 - get lined up especially against no huddle. #2 - Avoid the game-breaking big plays in a tight game.

On offense - Limit the mistakes. We're getting the yards. Limit the mistakes and we'll get the points.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
I don't think that would be smart because the weakest part of their team is probably the offensive line. Can they hold up in pass blocking? Cunningham got hit so often against Pitt its a wonder he was able to walk off the field after 7 sacks.

Unless you blow an assignment or have a blocker straight-up whiff, you don't need to have a lot of time to get a deep ball in the air with max protection or moving the pocket.