What would it take this year for you to be open to the idea that we're on the right track?

What will it take for you to have hope?

• I am a full-fledged believer

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • Currently open to the idea / in wait and see

Votes: 33 14.2%
  • Win x# of games this year

Votes: 96 41.4%
  • Fire xyz coach

Votes: 11 4.7%
  • Beat Georgia, or another statement game

Votes: 29 12.5%
  • Finish with a top # recruiting class

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • There is nothing CGC can do for me to have hope

Votes: 38 16.4%
  • Other

Votes: 18 7.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
For the 19 (16.5%) thus far in the “There’s nothing CGC can do for me to have hope” category, is anyone willing to elaborate on your thoughts?

Wondering if it’s a matter of interpretation of the question. For example, 10 wins wouldn’t give you hope? There’s no requirement to believe in the odds of that happening to choose that option.

I anticipated reasons why some would choose the “nothing CGC can do” category (e.g., off the field stuff), however even with that in mind I am surprised about the volume of early votes for that option.
I’ll chime in. I do think there is a level of interpretation here. Sure, if he runs the table and wins out - or somehow wins 8-9 games then I’ll certainly say wait and see, but from what I have seen in the 2+ seasons, I’m done. Beating middling teams on our schedule like Duke, Pitt, BC, etc.. would tell me nothing other than we are going to be mediocre at best and more likely worse, but I have zero confidence at all that we are heading for better than a 2-3 win season (and we could be in the 0-1 win zone after Saturday). Sure VT recovered from the game 1 loss two years ago but I don’t think anyone would compare our staff with that.

I will admit to not being overly excited about the hire, but hey, he’s our guy so I was in. I followed recruiting - was excited when we convinced Griffin to come over NCSU (bet he regrets that move now), and I really wanted to see what he could do with a different approach. I liked the coaching staff he was asseembling, but I was dubious about his DC backgound - that MSU Defense was not real great and we steamrolled them in the Orange Bowl, and was not impressed by what I saw from his record at Temple. He never stuck anywhere and no one really seemed torn when he left for a new job.

Then came year 1. The weightlifting on the field was embarrassing and I think that is a reason why Clemson keeps looking to roll the score on us. The constant social media drumbeat was tiring (yes, I know it wasn’t for me), and then the back handed comments about the previous regime - we can agree or disagree on the level or tone, but there was for sure a passive aggressive bit of “now we‘ll show you how we’re going to be elite” followed by the thud against Citadel. I was at the Duke game in 2019 (the only game I’ve made it to in the CGC era) and we were completely outclassed. By a not good Duke team. Everything since then, save a couple of great plays against Miami, reasonably played games against not great FSU, Louisville and Duke teams, has been pathetic. We’re no longer relevant in CFB and I cannot see a path to return there with CGC at the helm.

The fans are going to lose interest - most GT fans aren’t on message boards, the recruiting game will start to turn away from him (hell, at best we were going to be mid tier of the ACC anyway in recruiting for reasons that have been rehashed over and over) and we will be in a death spiral. As a result, there is almost nothing he can do to make me a believer. He’s overmatched and over his head and we are going to face a very difficult financial decision because buying him out will become less painful than keeping him. His body language and facial expressions in moments like he 3rd and goal are very telling and I’m pretty sure any team playing us will come in very very confident. Teams did not look forward to playing us under CPJ, or COL. I think they will look at playing GT as being a scrimmage. That stinks and the earlier we take some drastic action to move forward the better. Replacing both OC and DC this week would be a reasonable step.

I will say (it was suggested by someone else) that an honest communication about the programs state and his own errors would carry some weight for me - right now he seems completely tone deaf an clueless. Admitting the state of the program and none of this we are getting better every day BS would at least buy some time for me.

It ain’t about me though. You just asked for some detail from someone who selected that poll option. There you go.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Specifically for this season and including anything that could happen postseason, what would it take for you to have hope that CGC as HC can lead the program and meet your expectations going into the future?

Poll included and will close prior to the Clemson game. If you select 'Other' please include your thoughts in this thread.

Note: This is not a question of whether you will be confident that CGC is the right guy, rather it's about renewed hope that he can be the guy. Despite the premise of the question, the goal is to take this thread in a more positive, productive direction than the 'Fire CGC' thread.
There was a time not so long ago, I would have just marked winning (X) number of games. I have seen enough to dispel any notion of him turning this mess around.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
There was a time not so long ago, I would have just marked winning (X) number of games. I have seen enough to dispel any notion of him turning this mess around.

I think there is a bit of a disconnect in the question and how people are readiing/responding to it.

For example, if we were to win out, meaning wins against Uga, Clemson, etc. then I think we would all say it was a great year for us, the first game notwithstanding. So winning out would move the needle a lot. (I am not saying this is likely or even possible). It would change my current outlook on things. Outcomes can change my perspective.

I think others say that this is not very likely, so they vote with that in mind. Humor me, just for the sake of discussion, would winning out (put aside the probability of such) NOT move the needle for you regarding the state of affairs?

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
I think there is a bit of a disconnect in the question and how people are readiing/responding to it.

For example, if we were to win out, meaning wins against Uga, Clemson, etc. then I think we would all say it was a great year for us, the first game notwithstanding. So winning out would move the needle a lot. (I am not saying this is likely or even possible). It would change my current outlook on things. Outcomes can change my perspective.

I think others say that this is not very likely, so they vote with that in mind. Humor me, just for the sake of discussion, would winning out (put aside the probability of such) NOT move the needle for you regarding the state of affairs?
Of course it would. But you’re in the “monkeys flying out of butts” zone so the question is kind of pointless

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
In my opinion, he just made his task ahead a lot more difficult. While there was positives Saturday night. especially the reduced penalties, there is no way in hell he should have lost that game with a whole offseason to prepare. Particularly after losing to the Citadel. Previously, I thought 5-6 wins might have been an indicator of hope. Now I think we have to win 6 of the 9 (of course assuming a win this weekend) after KSU and avoid getting beatdown in the 3 losses. That is a tall task. While I am hoping that he does it I am not confident. There is something that just doesn't pass the eyeball test with me and it is hard to quantify. And I was optimistic about things until Saturday. ETA - voted for x games, That number is 7 imo, although I suspect 5 or 6 buys him more time given our $ situation.
It is hard to "quantify" as you put it. What Geoff does not seem to realize is that he is very close to making this program a nonentity along the lines of Vanderbilt, Rice, Tulane, and others that are either scoffed at or simply ignored. It is that precarious.

Jophish17

Jolly Good Fellow
I get the challenge of the transition from 3O. I get that we have severe recruiting disadvantages. That said, we are in year 3: .500 in-conference should be the floor. We’ll likely lose to Clemson most years but we should be competitive in all other games (preferably with a blow out or two with the likes of Duke/Wake/Cuse/BC)

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I think our offense has consistently sputtered in the red zone. That relates to play calling and preparedness by the offensive coordinator.

The lack of explosive plays and a defined offensive personality (not multiple) has me blaming Patenaude.

Hire an extreme tempo run and gun like Josh Huepel or let Brent Key take over as offensive coordinator for the rest of the season until that hire.
For the 19 (16.5%) thus far in the “There’s nothing CGC can do for me to have hope” category, is anyone willing to elaborate on your thoughts?

Wondering if it’s a matter of interpretation of the question. For example, 10 wins wouldn’t give you hope? There’s no requirement to believe in the odds of that happening to choose that option.

I anticipated reasons why some would choose the “nothing CGC can do” category (e.g., off the field stuff), however even with that in mind I am surprised about the volume of early votes for that option.

I was looking at some of the stats from the game and they are revealing and also explain in small part why I am in the "nothing CGC can do category"
We led in virtually every significant category over Northern Illinois
We had 25 first downs to their 15.
We led in both rushing yardage and passing yardage. In fact we nearly had two 100 yard rushers and managed a respectable 273 yards to their 165.
We completed 15 passes out of 26 which is acceptable.
Our total yards were 429 to their 301. We had over 400 yards of offense and scored three touchdowns.
Time of possession was ever so slightly in their favor.
Field goals were forgettable for both teams with a combined 0 for 5.
They did have 4 sacks to none for us and put more pressure consistently on our quarterbacks. The much hyped transfer talent was a non factor.

I don't know what to make of it but paying a G-5 opponent a million dollars to come into our house and embarrass our team is no way to run a railroad.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I haven't voted because I don't know how to honestly answer. At the moment I feel as if there is no chance of turning things around. I can give some insights as to what kinds of things it would take for me to not feel as if there is zero chance:

• Being able to substitute players at least as effectively as a high school team.
  • Having the defensive play call to the players before the ball is snapped.
  • Having the offensive play call in to the huddled offense before the play clock reaches 10 seconds.
  • Discussing the clock with players on the sidelines before the offense goes in so they have it in mind not to run out of bounds when we need the clock running, or stay in bounds when we need the clock stopped.
If the team starts to look like they actually practice, and the coaches stop looking like they don't have a clue what they are doing, then I will start thinking about how many wins or what types of wins will bring me to have faith in the coaches. If we don't do that, I don't think winning every game would help very much. (and if we don't do that, we wouldn't have a chance of winning every game anyway.)

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer

"Winning out, you say?" The moon falling out of the sky would be of similar interest and more likely to actually occur.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Unfortunately we can only selection one option in the poll.

Getting to X (6) win for sure,
Dumping a coordinator seems appropriate,
Getting a top# recruiting class won't happen until December/February... and would be only a part of the proverbial pie,
And of course, wait and see...
So many things, so I am selecting "other".

stech81

Helluva Engineer
@CuseJacket in reference to your query about why choose "There's nothing CGC can do..." I have to say the @cthenrys was very eloquent and put into words most of my feelings. My gut reaction to CGC has been from the beginning "used car salesman" and I just can't shake that feeling when I see/hear him.
I'm with you
Sometimes I wonder with no much money to work with if Stansbury picked CGC cause he was a salesman and wanted to get more season ticket holders. And 7 years it would put him at 64 or 65 and then he could retire . Then CGC could move to AD. And how did CGC talk CBK into coming to Tech , CBK wants to be a head coach and he could have told him when Stansbury retires he would be the next AD and he would pick CBK as the next head coach. ( I really know this is make up but does sound good for reason he picked CGC it wasn't cause of his coaching record )

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm with you
Sometimes I wonder with no much money to work with if Stansbury picked CGC cause he was a salesman and wanted to get more season ticket holders. And 7 years it would put him at 64 or 65 and then he could retire . Then CGC could move to AD. And how did CGC talk CBK into coming to Tech , CBK wants to be a head coach and he could have told him when Stansbury retires he would be the next AD and he would pick CBK as the next head coach. ( I really know this is make up but does sound good for reason he picked CGC it wasn't cause of his coaching record )
Whatever the debates about CGCs hire and other candidates, there is NO reason why giving him a 7 year contract was a good idea. I mean let’s say CGCs agent asks for it and ADTS says nope - 5 is all you get. Does CGC really not take it ? Of course he does. He’s betting on himself. TS negotiated against himself and it’ll cost us (and very likely him as well)

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
Whatever the debates about CGCs hire and other candidates, there is NO reason why giving him a 7 year contract was a good idea. I mean let’s say CGCs agent asks for it and ADTS says nope - 5 is all you get. Does CGC really not take it ? Of course he does. He’s betting on himself. TS negotiated against himself and it’ll cost us (and very likely him as well)

bingo

/

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
We are not beating UGAG right now, but I did vote for statement game. I don't have any illusions that we will win a "statement" game, but it would probably give me hope.

Truthfully, I should have voted for "other", because I just want us not to look like a clown show (i.e. the fg/no fg decision).
I don’t think we could play uga within 30 pts now in a good day

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
I'm with you
I don't think there would be much excitement in CBK being HC, let alone OC. Not to say there wouldn't be some supporters, but overall, it would be a dud.

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer

I will admit that I was one few people that didn’t like the hire from day one, but if if he is coaching GT I have to give him a chance. So, I started off in the wait and see category season 1. Then came all the off the field crap, the WH stuff, ATL chart, development team…. Its not my cup of tea, but ha if they win it doesn’t really matter. Then came the pot shots at the former staff and players (I know some don’t think he did and that’s ok, but if that had been said when about my team when I was play in college I wouldn’t have been happy). Then come the CU game and they bust out the weights pre game and the TV crew is busting out jokes. Then comes all the bad losses and blow outs, can’t even kick a FG, looking lose on the sideline, post game press conference calling Temple D a top 10 D. I thought he might tone down some of the clownish off the field stuff, but no he kept right on. Then the second season was same as the first and third season has begun with the same trend. In your 10 win statement, yes I would very happy with 10 wins, but we both know that’s not happening. He is not going to wake up one morning and suddenly better game day coach and out coach anybody, we are not suddenly going to get players to out jimmies and joes the other teams running similar schemes. I can appreciate those that hold out hope that he can turn this ship around, but I‘m more of a realist or (you are what your record says you are) and right now you’re a 6-17. The ship has hit the iceberg and is taking on water and some are putting in song request at the piano bar. Just like when a horse is injured, you can let it suffer or you can end the pain and put a bullet to its head. I know he has a long contract, but I hope there was some understanding between ts and which ever one or group of big $ guys that really was pushing for him will have to step in and buy him out If it doesn’t work. I know most held onto hope with recruiting, but if KSU wins or is even close you can kiss that goodbye as well as you have to worry about a couple of transfers out. If we go to a bowl game this year I will say I was wrong. I think TS knows where this is heading when he set the really high bar at “looking like we belong”. The program will be set back for years if this continues for another two seasons.

WrongShadeOfGold

Jolly Good Fellow
Gotta make a change at OC to get me back in believer mode. CDP has been a coach for 30 years and had only risen to OC at Temple before we hired him. There is a reason he never got a shot anywhere good. His play calling is so unimaginative. A good OC would have no trouble getting us to be a top 30 offense with the talent we have on offense.