What would it take this year for you to be open to the idea that we're on the right track?

What will it take for you to have hope?

• I am a full-fledged believer

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • Currently open to the idea / in wait and see

Votes: 33 14.2%
  • Win x# of games this year

Votes: 96 41.4%
  • Fire xyz coach

Votes: 11 4.7%
  • Beat Georgia, or another statement game

Votes: 29 12.5%
  • Finish with a top # recruiting class

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • There is nothing CGC can do for me to have hope

Votes: 38 16.4%
  • Other

Votes: 18 7.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bonaire41

Jolly Good Fellow
I don’t know but they better figure it out fast Bc you think our schedule is hard this year just look at nexts years. Clemson Ole Miss and at Central Florida within first 4 weeks of season and also got to go fla state

slugboy

Staff member
I did not record the game. Is there a replay somewhere I can watch?
The ACC Network will post a condensed (no ads, no breaks) version on YouTube—it’s probably there already. Just go to the ACC Network web page and look.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
CGC has built his entire platform on the fact that he can recruit and inherited an empty cupboard. And has proceeded to lose to three teams that don’t even have a house in which to keep a cupboard. At this point I don’t think any amount of realistic recruiting improvement is gonna make much of a difference. He objectively is a terrible gameday coach. So he needs to surround himself with good gameday coaches. So yeah, I think people need to be fired. Patenaude is the likely victim.

So if CGC steps up and makes changes to address what is obviously a problem then he buys some time with me.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
CGC has built his entire platform on the fact that he can recruit and inherited an empty cupboard. And has proceeded to lose to three teams that don’t even have a house in which to keep a cupboard. At this point I don’t think any amount of realistic recruiting improvement is gonna make much of a difference. He objectively is a terrible gameday coach. So he needs to surround himself with good gameday coaches. So yeah, I think people need to be fired. Patenaude is the likely victim.

So if CGC steps up and makes changes to address what is obviously a problem then he buys some time with me.
I believe I would start on the defense when they can see one tight end formation vs a 2 tight end formation with a fullback in the back field.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I don’t think there’s much hope. A statement win over Clemson or Georgia couples with a bunch of other wins to get to 6 would do it probably, but I put that under the “there’s nothing Collins can do” category

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
@CuseJacket I put other, and I'd like to expound on that for a bit. Probably TLDR for some.

Like others on this board was a big fan of CPJ and option football. While I have been a GT fan all my life, thanks to a die hard grandfather who refused to let my dad pollute my mind with uga football on Saturdays when I was growing up. Although I am a sidewalk fan, I am a devoted fan. Prior to CPJ, I had attended a handful of games. Starting in 2008, I began to attend more frequently, as the excitement the program had built infected me. In 2012, I became a full fledged Season ticket holder and started donating to the GTAA. (Note, my STs do not require an A-T donation. I donate anyways)

When CPJ retired, I was disappointed, but as I said, I was a fan prior to CPJ, and I will remain a fan following him. Unlike other CPJ fans, I was not a proponent for hiring Monken or Bohannen. I felt, and still feel, that the drop off from CPJ and any other coaches on his tree is steep, and CPJ struggled at times with the recruiting restrictions that are inherent with running his offense. Moving away from the offense seemed logical to me, but it meant coming to terms with the fact that we would likely enter a wilderness of 3-5 years of losing football.

Enter Collins. My initial impression of him was that he reminded me too much of Butch Jones. Fair or not, the man gives off serious used car salesman vibes. Everything about his first few months here screamed style over substance. Then came the seemingly unending digs at his predecessor in interviews. You can argue that he didn't intend them as insults, but considering how laser focused he is on "brand" and saying the right things, I find that hard to believe. In the end, however, I tend towards pragmatism. CGC is our coach, whether I like him or not, and his success is my success as a fan. Initial recruiting wins were promising, and the first full recruiting class in '20 gave me solid hope for the future. While the sideline schtick and money down crap wear thin, if it leads to recruiting in the top 25, I can endure.

Over the last two years I have been a consistent voice in giving him and his coordinators time to assemble their team. I appreciate that transitioning away from the CPJ system to his was going to be much harder than many thought. Unlike most new hires, he didn't inherit a team with traditional players on offense. We were loaded with OL who weren't the right size and didn't have the right skillset, and our ABs and QBs were nowhere near what we needed to run his offense. We can argue semantics about "football is football," but the reality is that we didn't have the right players in our system to run the offense. Getting them in is going to take time. The transfer portal helps some, but in our biggest area of need, OL, it doesn't help enough. I contend that we are leaning heavily on it right now so that he can build class separation on OL instead of having to spend all of his slots in 1-2 years on OL and start over every 3-4 years. While this gets us some proven OL individuals, the reality is that OL is an evolving organism. It takes a while for a line to gel and learn to work with each other. Simply plugging in a more talented OG or OT doesn't necessarily make the OL better. We are going to continue to see struggles here for at least another year or two. We are seeing definite progress, but it's going to take more time to get it to where it needs to be.

QB is the next project, and Sims could be the answer. He needs a lot of work though, and we need to continue to develop him and Yates while seeking to replace both, as every other program is doing with their QBs. If the OL gets fixed in a year or two, and we can develop Sims/Yates, we stand a real good chance of having a successful season in the next year or two. our Rbs are probably the deepest in the nation, and WRs are talented but young and raw. We need time, and some degree of patience from the fan base, for all of this to develop.

Defense is another story altogether. CGC is billed as a three time Broyles award nominee on defense, and yet GT is regressing here. I expected 2019 to be bad simply because of how bad our offense was going to be, leaving the D on the field to get gassed. The continued regression in 2020 is harder to understand. The secondary, which is supposedly a CGC strongpoint, is a major weakness for us in spite of considerable talent on the field. I am not a defensive mastermind, so I will leave it for others to diagnose, but the impression right now is that our defense is vastly underperforming considering talent and the pedigree of the HC, as well as the fact that, unlike the offense, it did not require a major transition.

With all this being said, in spite of all the antics and lack of success, I still believe that CGC can redeem this. As I stated earlier on this board, I saw enough in the last game to give me hope that CDP as OC can work here. My confidence in the DC is somewhat lessened though, especially since the 22 formation seemed to stump them.

So, what would it take for me? A combination of things:

1. Progress on the field. I need to see a QB that can run an offense and hit short open passes reliably, not just take off and get 15-20 yards as a RB.
2. Wins against KSU and Duke this year. After NIU, I don't know that I can reasonably expect our team to beat anyone else on our schedule.
3. A change in tone. I don't need CGC to all of a sudden become the curmudgeon that CPJ was, but I would like to see less "elite" and more "real" in his press conferences.
4. An upset win that has to do with our progress, not the other teams regression.
5. Continued recruiting success, not just transfers.
6. Reconfiguring of staff to upgrade assistants.

Any three of those 6 will give me hope. I have lost a lot of faith in CGC as a coach, but not all faith.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
@CuseJacket I put other, and I'd like to expound on that for a bit. Probably TLDR for some.

Like others on this board was a big fan of CPJ and option football. While I have been a GT fan all my life, thanks to a die hard grandfather who refused to let my dad pollute my mind with uga football on Saturdays when I was growing up. Although I am a sidewalk fan, I am a devoted fan. Prior to CPJ, I had attended a handful of games. Starting in 2008, I began to attend more frequently, as the excitement the program had built infected me. In 2012, I became a full fledged Season ticket holder and started donating to the GTAA. (Note, my STs do not require an A-T donation. I donate anyways)

When CPJ retired, I was disappointed, but as I said, I was a fan prior to CPJ, and I will remain a fan following him. Unlike other CPJ fans, I was not a proponent for hiring Monken or Bohannen. I felt, and still feel, that the drop off from CPJ and any other coaches on his tree is steep, and CPJ struggled at times with the recruiting restrictions that are inherent with running his offense. Moving away from the offense seemed logical to me, but it meant coming to terms with the fact that we would likely enter a wilderness of 3-5 years of losing football.

Enter Collins. My initial impression of him was that he reminded me too much of Butch Jones. Fair or not, the man gives off serious used car salesman vibes. Everything about his first few months here screamed style over substance. Then came the seemingly unending digs at his predecessor in interviews. You can argue that he didn't intend them as insults, but considering how laser focused he is on "brand" and saying the right things, I find that hard to believe. In the end, however, I tend towards pragmatism. CGC is our coach, whether I like him or not, and his success is my success as a fan. Initial recruiting wins were promising, and the first full recruiting class in '20 gave me solid hope for the future. While the sideline schtick and money down crap wear thin, if it leads to recruiting in the top 25, I can endure.

Over the last two years I have been a consistent voice in giving him and his coordinators time to assemble their team. I appreciate that transitioning away from the CPJ system to his was going to be much harder than many thought. Unlike most new hires, he didn't inherit a team with traditional players on offense. We were loaded with OL who weren't the right size and didn't have the right skillset, and our ABs and QBs were nowhere near what we needed to run his offense. We can argue semantics about "football is football," but the reality is that we didn't have the right players in our system to run the offense. Getting them in is going to take time. The transfer portal helps some, but in our biggest area of need, OL, it doesn't help enough. I contend that we are leaning heavily on it right now so that he can build class separation on OL instead of having to spend all of his slots in 1-2 years on OL and start over every 3-4 years. While this gets us some proven OL individuals, the reality is that OL is an evolving organism. It takes a while for a line to gel and learn to work with each other. Simply plugging in a more talented OG or OT doesn't necessarily make the OL better. We are going to continue to see struggles here for at least another year or two. We are seeing definite progress, but it's going to take more time to get it to where it needs to be.

QB is the next project, and Sims could be the answer. He needs a lot of work though, and we need to continue to develop him and Yates while seeking to replace both, as every other program is doing with their QBs. If the OL gets fixed in a year or two, and we can develop Sims/Yates, we stand a real good chance of having a successful season in the next year or two. our Rbs are probably the deepest in the nation, and WRs are talented but young and raw. We need time, and some degree of patience from the fan base, for all of this to develop.

Defense is another story altogether. CGC is billed as a three time Broyles award nominee on defense, and yet GT is regressing here. I expected 2019 to be bad simply because of how bad our offense was going to be, leaving the D on the field to get gassed. The continued regression in 2020 is harder to understand. The secondary, which is supposedly a CGC strongpoint, is a major weakness for us in spite of considerable talent on the field. I am not a defensive mastermind, so I will leave it for others to diagnose, but the impression right now is that our defense is vastly underperforming considering talent and the pedigree of the HC, as well as the fact that, unlike the offense, it did not require a major transition.

With all this being said, in spite of all the antics and lack of success, I still believe that CGC can redeem this. As I stated earlier on this board, I saw enough in the last game to give me hope that CDP as OC can work here. My confidence in the DC is somewhat lessened though, especially since the 22 formation seemed to stump them.

1. Progress on the field. I need to see a QB that can run an offense and hit short open passes reliably, not just take off and get 15-20 yards as a RB.
2. Wins against KSU and Duke this year. After NIU, I don't know that I can reasonably expect our team to beat anyone else on our schedule.
3. A change in tone. I don't need CGC to all of a sudden become the curmudgeon that CPJ was, but I would like to see less "elite" and more "real" in his press conferences.
4. An upset win that has to do with our progress, not the other teams regression.

Any three of those 6 will give me hope. I have lost a lot of faith in CGC as a coach, but not all faith.
Thoughtful and reasonable. Thank you for that.

In your list of six things happening, three of which have to happen for you to have hope, I confess I need a little more. Say, from your list, Collins changes his tone slightly, continues to recruit reasonably well, and wins 2 games this year. I would feel like I had been had and would probably give up watching Tech football for the foreseeable future.

But that’s just me. I do appreciate the thought, effort and perspective in your post.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer

This is so well written, and I can tell you are a bit more of an optimist than me. I would need all 6 of your list to occur including #4, the upset win.

Honestly, it is possible for CGC to lose this team if we have a bad result this weekend - I know "they love him". Some things are "fun" until you realize you are being embarrassed on the field.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
This is so well written, and I can tell you are a bit more of an optimist than me. I would need all 6 of your list to occur including #4, the upset win.

Honestly, it is possible for CGC to lose this team if we have a bad result this weekend - I know "they love him". Some things are "fun" until you realize you are being embarrassed on the field.

It's not so much that I am an optimist as that I have no agency in this. My only path forward as a fan is to either continue in misery or search for hope in the meantime. I am about 60% certain that CGC will be fired shortly after year 5 of this experiment, having not returned us to a bowl game. Part of me wonders if CGC isn't considered by TStan as a placeholder coach to rebuild the talent base and leave the program better suited for the next coach we hire. The other 40% says maybe we can somehow pull this all together and start winning sooner rather than later.

My biggest issue is the defense. I truly expected the offense to struggle. I did NOT expect defensive regression considering the HC we hired...

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
It's not so much that I am an optimist as that I have no agency in this. My only path forward as a fan is to either continue in misery or search for hope in the meantime. I am about 60% certain that CGC will be fired shortly after year 5 of this experiment, having not returned us to a bowl game. Part of me wonders if CGC isn't considered by TStan as a placeholder coach to rebuild the talent base and leave the program better suited for the next coach we hire. The other 40% says maybe we can somehow pull this all together and start winning sooner rather than later.

My biggest issue is the defense. I truly expected the offense to struggle. I did NOT expect defensive regression considering the HC we hired...
Understood.

I have wondered about CGC's "success" as a D-coordinator myself. As you know, he has never stayed anywhere for more than about 2-3 years. And, if you remember, he got "out of Dodge" before he had to face the flexbone in 2014 at MSU. I have seen guys because of other factors have short term success that really was just more about "luck" and circumstances. I wonder if this is the case with CGC. The only thing we really know about him is that he is an excellent recruiter - other than that, I still believe he is unproven, and for sure unproven as a HC. If he was going to learn on the job, I wish he would have stayed at Temple longer to do that. P5 is not where you learn on the job.

Scubapro

Banned

This is a good take IMO. It summarizes many of my feelings as being a sidewalk fan as well.
The only difference for me is CDP...after watching his past film at Temple and CC I just don't think he is up to the task. (of course someone is sure to post one obscure play of his when we are down by 30 to show what a genius CDP is)
However, Thack has me worried...esp after reading the NIU article and the multiple WTF moments last year.
Collins, being the experienced DC, should have seen what was happening and called for adjustments.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

Seems to me you wouldn't give a placeholder coach a 7-year contract, and I imagine the recruiting successes thus far have come to an end unless this team can turn it around fast.

Yes, the defensive regression is a head scratcher.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
Win 6 games and get a bowl bid and the season is still a success. Gonna be tougher now, since NIU should've been a cupcake.