What would it take this year for you to be open to the idea that we're on the right track?

What will it take for you to have hope?

• I am a full-fledged believer

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • Currently open to the idea / in wait and see

Votes: 33 14.2%
  • Win x# of games this year

Votes: 96 41.4%
  • Fire xyz coach

Votes: 11 4.7%
  • Beat Georgia, or another statement game

Votes: 29 12.5%
  • Finish with a top # recruiting class

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • There is nothing CGC can do for me to have hope

Votes: 38 16.4%
  • Other

Votes: 18 7.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I think many people still underestimate the damage that MBob did to the football program in a passive-aggressive attempt to get rid of CPJ. Since he wanted CPJ gone, and since he had some money guys urging him to get rid of CPJ, he should have just manned up and fired him instead of trying to tank the program and get him to quit. CPJ would have probably had some words to say about it, but I imagine he would have respected that more than the dumpster fire that situation turned into.
And the word that was being put out was that replacing CPJ would be easy-peasy. Anybody could do a better job.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I’m really starting to believe that was overhyped. I bought it for awhile but things are just not adding up. Lots of teams have changed offensive schemes including changing to or from spread option type schemes and it didn’t take 7 years, CPJ changed an entire offensive scheme in one year.

It's far easier to take recruits for "normal" offenses and utilize them in a flexbone 3O. It's far more difficult to go the other way. I loathe the constant reminder of the "transition" but that doesn't mean it wasn't, and still will be, a difficult process.

IMO the biggest disservice to the fan base was the used car sales approach. Now, we all know he couldn't come out and say we were going to straight up lose a lot of games, but when you keep using the word "elite" to describe things that aren't, you start to build mistrust. Dialing back the all charisma all the time approach would probably have helped us weather this a bit better. Instead, we allowed unreasonable expectations to settle in.

Just my opinion on this one.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
That was always the problem with the hype machine. I remember asking Tori at the Athletic to try to get a question into CGC about whether the hype could boomerang when the results didn’t come in (at least in the beginning). Don’t know if she ever asked that question but her response was basically “this is the plan and he’s sticking with the plan”. That’s worked well…..

Jmonty71

Banned
There is a lot that I need to see... I really don't even know where to begin. First, CGC needs to learn how to perform some game management. He looks like he doesn't have a clue, at times. That's where we can start. Next to that? We're making so many mistakes..... so many... It's like 11 kids playing yard ball, at times. You can tell that the players are not on the same page. Whether it be the miscommunication on defense or WRs running wrong routes. This lack of preparedness has to lie on the coaches. The missed blocking assignments was pretty evident, also. I guess if there is a good take away? We had very few penalties. I have seen 0 improvement from year 1... I have no faith in Collins, whatsoever. I think he's a fraud. He rode the coat tails of a lot of coaches to get where he is. I want to see less yap out of his mouth and more actions coming from him. Frankly, I am tired of his BS marketing gimmicks. He sounds like a used car salesman, at this point.... More wins, less practiced excuses.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
It's far easier to take recruits for "normal" offenses and utilize them in a flexbone 3O. It's far more difficult to go the other way. I loathe the constant reminder of the "transition" but that doesn't mean it wasn't, and still will be, a difficult process.

IMO the biggest disservice to the fan base was the used car sales approach. Now, we all know he couldn't come out and say we were going to straight up lose a lot of games, but when you keep using the word "elite" to describe things that aren't, you start to build mistrust. Dialing back the all charisma all the time approach would probably have helped us weather this a bit better. Instead, we allowed unreasonable expectations to settle in.

Just my opinion on this one.
Agree with 99% of this. I’m just wondering why players who grew up playing in a CGC type offense, especially in high school, and only briefly played in a CPJ style offense, end up being “damaged goods.” I understand the argument, I just don’t buy it anymore. Year 3 you should see a difference. In several areas of the game this team is doing worse now than it did under CPJ. Not trying to be argumentative. Just being honest about how it looks to me.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'm in a wait and see mode. I'll judge where CGC and his program are at the end of the season. "Wait until the book is done before judging how good it is".

Even though the first chapter was really bad, l'll wait to see how it plays out.

My thought going into this season was the following
There were three games that are just about must win - NIU, KSU and @Duke.
There were three games that are extremely unlikely to be wins - @Clemson, @ND, UGA.

The key would be the other 6 games
UNC(MBS), Pitt, @UVA, VT, @Miami, BC.
Needed to win 3 of those imo.

At this point the team absolutely has to win KSU and Duke - a loss in either would suggest to me we are truly heading in the wrong direction.
Need to win 3 of those middle six. Anything less than that and i'm going to be seriously concerned heading to season 4.

I need to see a win or two against a team with a winning record. I need to see no more slipups to lesser teams.
Frankly I need to see better coaching from the HC on down. i'm not convinced either coordinator is ACC quality yet, and both the decision making and time mangement of the HC has been suspent over the first couple of years. it's hard to say any position coach has done well with the exception of Choice.

You have to "walk before you can run", well i need to start seeing some walking.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
We are all comparing Tech to the 110th rated team in nation -for this game stats,etc. WE were HORRIBLE in almost every aspect compared to what 18 pt favorite should play.The "Havoc rate" (def causing havoc) was WORST than last yr.Think about that.
The Off scored 21 pts on a team that gave up 35+ last yr. Pitiful.

But we did KO into the EZ--which smart teams want to get the ball on 25.We also punted into the EZ which smart teams DON'T want to do.
The best-only 2 penalties.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Agree with 99% of this. I’m just wondering why players who grew up playing in a CGC type offense, especially in high school, and only briefly played in a CPJ style offense, end up being “damaged goods.” I understand the argument, I just don’t buy it anymore. Year 3 you should see a difference. In several areas of the game this team is doing worse now than it did under CPJ. Not trying to be argumentative. Just being honest about how it looks to me.

In HS, for the most part, you don't get to choose your team or your offense. You're kind of stuck with what the coach runs unless your family wants to move. Just because a player played in a CGC style offense in HS doesn't mean they would have played it in college, and vice versa for the HS teams that run 3O and Veer. At the end of the day, CPJs recruiting classes were heavier on the ATH position and smaller RBs/WRs to play AB. Our OL build was very different than what we currently recruit.

As for year 3, I am in total agreement with you. The difference is that I think we saw some improvement already. Yates played well. The OL has issues still, but a lot of it is due to depth. There were times out there that they were simply gassed. The WRs were getting separation, but not a reliable throw to catch. The RBs did very well, and as has been said, 2/3rds of our kicking game was majorly improved. All those are areas that give me hope.

The reason I still struggle is the D. Sure, we only had 4 series that NIU had any success at all, but 3 of the 4 went for TDs. My biggest issue is the confusion on our D that is evident to even defensive novices like me. That's a coaching issue. Not sure how much lies with DC vs PCs vs HC, but it needs addressing soon.

As always, I appreciate your input. Nice to be able to debate without throwing insults.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm in the wait and see camp. Hopefully, this game has opened the staff's and maybe the players' eyes and sparked some sort of change. They're obviously doing something wrong, and this might be the catalyst for change. We have the talent to compete.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
In HS, for the most part, you don't get to choose your team or your offense. You're kind of stuck with what the coach runs unless your family wants to move. Just because a player played in a CGC style offense in HS doesn't mean they would have played it in college, and vice versa for the HS teams that run 3O and Veer. At the end of the day, CPJs recruiting classes were heavier on the ATH position and smaller RBs/WRs to play AB. Our OL build was very different than what we currently recruit.

As for year 3, I am in total agreement with you. The difference is that I think we saw some improvement already. Yates played well. The OL has issues still, but a lot of it is due to depth. There were times out there that they were simply gassed. The WRs were getting separation, but not a reliable throw to catch. The RBs did very well, and as has been said, 2/3rds of our kicking game was majorly improved. All those are areas that give me hope.

The reason I still struggle is the D. Sure, we only had 4 series that NIU had any success at all, but 3 of the 4 went for TDs. My biggest issue is the confusion on our D that is evident to even defensive novices like me. That's a coaching issue. Not sure how much lies with DC vs PCs vs HC, but it needs addressing soon.

As always, I appreciate your input. Nice to be able to debate without throwing insults.
Yep, I think I am arguing for a more nuanced take. The “it will take 7 years to get over a triple option offense” was just way over the top to me. And I agree with your earlier statement about this and (my words) CGC may have destroyed any good will that was left by his “propaganda” campaign around how his approach was going to make us so much more elite.

I have no doubt that a CPJ team would hang 60 points on a team like Kennesaw State. If CGC can do that next Saturday then his hype gets a little more credible.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I have no doubt that a CPJ team would hang 60 points on a team like Kennesaw State. If CGC can do that next Saturday then his hype gets a little more credible.
If CPJ were still at GT when playing KSU, there might only be 4 offensive possessions per team, so 60 would he difficult to reach.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
If CPJ were still at GT when playing KSU, there might only be 4 offensive possessions per team, so 60 would he difficult to reach.
If NAIA level Rhinehart can score 25 on KSU then a CPJ team would score 60 easily. It’s not like we are playing Army who can burn the clock on almost any P5 school.

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck
Yep, I think I am arguing for a more nuanced take. The “it will take 7 years to get over a triple option offense” was just way over the top to me. And I agree with your earlier statement about this and (my words) CGC may have destroyed any good will that was left by his “propaganda” campaign around how his approach was going to make us so much more elite.

I have little doubt CPJ would have hung 50 on NIU.

At this point, my only hope for this season s that the light comes on for one of the QBs and we get an average offense. That should get us to 3 or 4 wins this season.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
One of the things that has crossed my mind today is that football teams need to learn how to win if they are not in the habit. Otherwise every game is like starting over in one sense. Anyway it occurred to me that if CGC’s team could win 3 games in a row it might turn the program around. This obviously doesn’t happen in a vacuum but in addition to all the game day issues that have been pointed out there is no muscle memory for winning.

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
One of the things that has crossed my mind today is that football teams need to learn how to win if they are not in the habit. Otherwise every game is like starting over in one sense. Anyway it occurred to me that if CGC’s team could win 3 games in a row it might turn the program around. This obviously doesn’t happen in a vacuum but in addition to all the game day issues that have been pointed out there is no muscle memory for winning.
CGC's GT teams have not won back to back wins yet. NIU and Kennesaw St was a missed opportunity in that regard

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
We must win six. Winning and hatred of losing needs to be the culture. After Saturday this team should still be running. I don't think Collins hates losing enough. I also think Thacker is barely treading water in the deep end. An experienced secondary should not look lost on defensive calls.