What would it take this year for you to be open to the idea that we're on the right track?

What will it take for you to have hope?

• I am a full-fledged believer

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • Currently open to the idea / in wait and see

Votes: 33 14.2%
  • Win x# of games this year

Votes: 96 41.4%
  • Fire xyz coach

Votes: 11 4.7%
  • Beat Georgia, or another statement game

Votes: 29 12.5%
  • Finish with a top # recruiting class

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • There is nothing CGC can do for me to have hope

Votes: 38 16.4%
  • Other

Votes: 18 7.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TruckStick

Ramblin' Wreck
I think our offense has consistently sputtered in the red zone. That relates to play calling and preparedness by the offensive coordinator.

The lack of explosive plays and a defined offensive personality (not multiple) has me blaming Patenaude.

Hire an extreme tempo run and gun like Josh Huepel or let Brent Key take over as offensive coordinator for the rest of the season until that hire.

IslandsofGaunilo

Georgia Tech Fan
If we win six, I think this past weekend’s debacle can be absolved. Right now, I’m thinking Kennesaw State and, perhaps, Duke are the only wins we should expect. That’s two, one of which is dubious. Whence come the other four?

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
We need to beat teams like KSU Duke Pitt UVA BC like a drum. These bull**** losses can’t happen ever again. It’s sorta Pastner-esq. Josh was able to fix his glaring issues. It’s time for Geoff to do the same! We need to reach a bowl game now. That loss was worse in my eyes than the citadel. As bad as that was, everyone bought into “the transition”. Now the fans, players, incoming recruits and kids we’re trying to land saw a team unprepared and a staff that looked like Bishop Sycamore….. We need to be 4-2 no worse than 3-3 this first half of the season.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
If we win six, I think this past weekend’s debacle can be absolved. Right now, I’m thinking Kennesaw State and, perhaps, Duke are the only wins we should expect. That’s two, one of which is dubious. Whence come the other four?

After watching ND play FSU last night, I'll go ahead and say ND will be climbing a mountain to win. Their OL is flat out nasty...it's the kind of OL I thought we would see with Key. Just big guys beating the ever living sh!t out of the DL. On one drive, I saw one of ND's OL drive the DE into the dirt the entire way down to the goal line. Just absolute disregard for the other guy...and you could tell the other guy wanted no part of it. The best thing was, after driving that guy into the dirt after every play, the OL helped him up. That's just boss.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I’ve been one of the people preaching patience for Collins since he was hired, but my patience has worn thin. We need to go to a bowl game this season for me to forgive this loss. It’s incredibly concerning because if I had been asked before the season to pick the one game we had the best chance of winning, it would have been NIU. You didn’t misread that. I would have picked NIU as a more likely win than KSU. Washington lost to an FCS team, and still I feel like we embarrassed ourselves worse. NIU came into our house and took our manhood; it’s going to take at least 6 wins to begin to recover it.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
A week ago my answer would've been 5 wins as part of the "transition" still but our issues are far beyond transition at this point. The clock mismanagement, confusion, indecisiveness, lack of preparation, etc. are things that shouldn't be happening at this point.

We don't even remotely look confident on the field in ANY aspect of the game. This entire team is mentally weak. You can feel the lack of confidence they have to make the plays needed in key situations to win a game.

Besides Gibbs and Mason looking like their usual selves, I can think of one play where we looked like we belonged on that field and it was Wesley Walker making that strip.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Sometimes I feel like our program has become an ad campaign for a product "Not sold in stores." The flashing signs and sideline weightlifting and Waffle House cups have not aged well with a lot of longtime fans. Something positive needed to happen this year and instead we got a train wreck loss to a team winless in 2020.

Tech fans are used to being 2nd fiddle to uga in spite of hating the feeling. But, we can't continue to hold our heads up without a valid sense of near equity. CGC says he loves GT. If he is not up to the task, will he stick around while hurting the institution? That is the question for me.

2014 had an almost loss to Ga Southern and ended well. One win against KSU is not going repair what happened Saturday. It will take a genuine turnaround.

Last edited:

MidtownJacket

Staff member
It’s not about a specific win total for me. When we moved away from the option as a core identity we all knew it would take some time. CGC is a different breed of Coach than what we had with CPJ. There is a lot of attention put on external things that we didn’t previously focus on. I often fight the feeling that we are not spending enough of the limited time the kids have with staff being coached to focus on the game as much as the extracurriculars of branding, talk etc.

When you see the team show up and look lost, it only pushes people that share this concern to affirm their bias that we aren’t coaching the players to play the actual game. We are attempting to build the apparatus of a successful program without taking care of the base premise of actually being a successful program.

I voted that I am wait and see because I refuse to believe that ADTS, CBK, CTC and others in the program could possibly be ignorant enough to not see this if it is the actual case. This isn’t the parable of the emperor who doesn’t have on any clothes (I hope) and think it’s possible we have gotten better but just didn’t show it. That we read our own press too much and came ou flat against an opponent who has been living in the wilderness of a winless season and came hungry for a win.

I need to see better in-game management from our coaching staff and better execution by the players when it matters. This next week is pretty important. The coaching staff has to keep the players united and bought in to the belief that we are better than we showed. Then they need to bow up and stomp KSU, early and often without any capacity for mercy. We have got to come in with a chip on the shoulder and the mentality of having been embarrassed by our past performance.

The good news about sports is that in season, if you just take care of business, you don’t need to say anything else. Let the game play speak for us. Put the ball down, and GATA.

LibertyTurns

Banned
@TromboneJacket @jeffgt14 The weak thing is what bothers me more than anything. We’re physically weak after 2.5 yrs of having a stud S&C coach. We’re mentally weak & not just the players, our coaches as well. We have this hubris and can’t back it up on the field.

I heard all the practice reports, comments on here from people at practices & none of that matched what I saw with my own eyes Saturday night. I bought into the BS and thought we were ready to launch this program on the kind of trajectory we’ve been waiting 3 years to see. I was patient despite my better judgment that all the shenanigans was just eye candy, not what our practices and preparations were all about. I still want this guy to win, but I just don’t know how he’s going to do it without an extreme gut check.

It’s sad because it may be 6-7 years before we may have a positive outlook. We’re going to take 2-3 years to end this experiment, then it will take another guy 2-3 years to disassemble and rebuild.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
A week ago my answer would've been 5 wins as part of the "transition" still but our issues are far beyond transition at this point. The clock mismanagement, confusion, indecisiveness, lack of preparation, etc. are things that shouldn't be happening at this point.

We don't even remotely look confident on the field in ANY aspect of the game. This entire team is mentally weak. You can feel the lack of confidence they have to make the plays needed in key situations to win a game.

Besides Gibbs and Mason looking like their usual selves, I can think of one play where we looked like we belonged on that field and it was Wesley Walker making that strip.
Charlie Thomas is playing his game well. Besides Walker I will give Quez a shout. Major disappointment with the DEs where I had more expectations than with the DTs..

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
After watching ND play FSU last night, I'll go ahead and say ND will be climbing a mountain to win. Their OL is flat out nasty...it's the kind of OL I thought we would see with Key. Just big guys beating the ever living sh!t out of the DL. On one drive, I saw one of ND's OL drive the DE into the dirt the entire way down to the goal line. Just absolute disregard for the other guy...and you could tell the other guy wanted no part of it. The best thing was, after driving that guy into the dirt after every play, the OL helped him up. That's just boss.
Was that ever in question, though ?

GTBlaze

Banned
Specifically for this season and including anything that could happen postseason, what would it take for you to have hope that CGC as HC can lead the program and meet your expectations going into the future?

Poll included and will close prior to the Clemson game. If you select 'Other' please include your thoughts in this thread.

Note: This is not a question of whether you will be confident that CGC is the right guy, rather it's about renewed hope that he can be the guy. Despite the premise of the question, the goal is to take this thread in a more positive, productive direction than the 'Fire CGC' thread.

this season is over. Stick a fork in it.
They had how many weeks/months to prepare for NIU and got curb stomped by them.

that little high school team was manhandling our team

not 1 single sack the entire game. Let that sink in

ND or FSU would have beaten us 70-0 at half after watching that emotional game last night

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
this season is over. Stick a fork in it.
They had how many weeks/months to prepare for NIU and got curb stomped by them.

that little high school team was manhandling our team

not 1 single sack the entire game. Let that sink in

ND or FSU would have beaten us 70-0 at half after watching that emotional game last night
Any opinion relevant to this thread or are you just here to flame?

Jimd99

Georgia Tech Fan
We need to stop the "fire Collins" rants and support the team. I've watched Jackets football for 70 years and remember the calls for Coach Dodd's firing because he was only 7-3 against tough competition. I'm sure not pleased with Saturday's performance, but we can support the team better by not talking trash about them. We are fickle fans, but now is the time to step up our game the way we're asking Collins and our team to step it up. We have better talent than 3 years ago, drastically reduced penalties, improved kicking...but we didn't look ready to play, didn't have sense of urgency, still need to improve tackling, and coaches need to find the best O and D player combos and stick with them. I'm optimistic because the problems I saw can be fixed, the coaches need to coach and the players need to forget hype and kick ***! It could be much worse, we could be UGA alums.....THWG!

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
For the 19 (16.5%) thus far in the “There’s nothing CGC can do for me to have hope” category, is anyone willing to elaborate on your thoughts?

Wondering if it’s a matter of interpretation of the question. For example, 10 wins wouldn’t give you hope? There’s no requirement to believe in the odds of that happening to choose that option.

I anticipated reasons why some would choose the “nothing CGC can do” category (e.g., off the field stuff), however even with that in mind I am surprised about the volume of early votes for that option.

georgytech

Georgia Tech Fan
Any opinion relevant to this thread or are you just here to flame?
His opinion seemed relevant to me. Are you saying once we beat KSU the ship has righted? This is a sinking ship & what intrigues me is how Collins will react once the media really starts attacking him because up to now the media has treated him more than fairly. Will he put up a wall between him & the media? I mean some of his comments in the post game presser were sounding like a guy in denial don't you think?
That's a stretch.
Did we make any of the field goals we tried? LOL

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
For the 19 (16.5%) thus far in the “There’s nothing CGC can do for me to have hope” category, is anyone willing to elaborate on your thoughts?

Wondering if it’s a matter of interpretation of the question. For example, 10 wins wouldn’t give you hope? There’s no requirement to believe in the odds of that happening to choose that option.

I anticipated reasons why some would choose the “nothing CGC can do” category (e.g., off the field stuff), however even with that in mind I am surprised about the volume of early votes for that option.

Would also like to hear from the 2 true believers. I have been on the Collins train all along, and I can't even say that I am there right now.