What would it take this year for you to be open to the idea that we're on the right track?

What will it take for you to have hope?

• I am a full-fledged believer

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • Currently open to the idea / in wait and see

Votes: 33 14.2%
  • Win x# of games this year

Votes: 96 41.4%
  • Fire xyz coach

Votes: 11 4.7%
  • Beat Georgia, or another statement game

Votes: 29 12.5%
  • Finish with a top # recruiting class

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • There is nothing CGC can do for me to have hope

Votes: 38 16.4%
  • Other

Votes: 18 7.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I am starting to feel as though GT is dah U but with lesser talent. I am hoping that they can take that image away from me before I actually start to believe that.
Well, I suppose on a superficial level but Da U has one of the most unforgiving fan bases to be found. Do you think they would tolerate this rubbish? Actually they did when Manny managed to lose to FIU a couple of years ago but they blistered him every which way but loose. With nothing to do I wandered on Canes Insight after that fiasco and it was something else. They even said Manny got the job because his father was a Cuban politician among other unsavory things. The language would not have been tolerated on this site but I guess they are used to it.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I don't see how Geoff Collins is so high and mighty that he wouldn't have taken a 5-year contract. If he refused that Stansbury should have told him to pound salt. We should be so lucky...

I think it is making a large leap of faith to assume we would have gotten better if CGC had declined the job.Even with the way things are now. Hiring is not an exact science as anyone who has ever hired other people knows. We were not selecting from a group of candidates with proven track records. heck, even Dr. rice made a colossal screw up in this department and he is/was well respected an AD as you could hope to find. In fact, I sure hope Tstan is using Dr. Rice as a sounding board

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Listen, Collins actively sought out Todd for this job. There is no way he would not have accepted a 5 year deal (with some type of school option after 3 of extending). He knew that he was not going to be able to maintain the level of success at Temple his predecessor had created, so he was "jumping at the chance" to get the GT offer. Now, who knows what he actually said, but this is what I believe was the case. Maybe he convinced Todd of the longer contract, but that doesn't mean he wasn't willing to come to GT for less guaranteed years.

He wasn't. He negotiated to 7 years. He wasn't about to come here for less.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I think it is making a large leap of faith to assume we would have gotten better if CGC had declined the job.Even with the way things are now.
Really? A "huge leap of faith"? Even the way things are now? And a seven-year contract to boot? And in all this, there is no indication that Eliot was even contacted. Amazing.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I've said many times before on this board that I have a friend who works for the GTAA. He has never led me wrong. When we were talking shortly after the hire, I expressed my dismay for the 7 year contract. I was assured that even GT did not want to offer a 7 year contract, but EVERY candidate that showed serious interest demanded between 7-8 years based on the understanding that they would likely have to undergo several losing seasons in order to churn the roster and get us back to winning football. The reality is that without a long contract, we would have hamstrung the new coach to the point where they couldn't rebuild the program. I don't like it any more than you do, but IIWII. Collins and his agents demanded a long contract. You can listen to all his talk about coming home and dream job and think maybe, just maybe, he'd have taken 5, but he wouldn't. Remember, this is the same man who continually calls us "elite." We had no leverage to get a shorter contract or a lessened buyout.
We had no leverage? What about Collins' record led anyone to believe he was such a hot commodity that he could demand a seven-year contract?

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
We had no leverage? What about Collins' record led anyone to believe he was such a hot commodity that he could demand a seven-year contract?
From Augusta Jackets comment we didn’t think we had any. I’m doubtful but IIWII. In the end unless CGC turns it around, it will likely take down TS as well.

Techfan02

Ramblin' Wreck
Voted Fire XYZ Thacker needs to go you can't have the same things bite your *** the up tempo trying to sub players out is not gonna work. Patenaude Either has to mix more play calling cause we had so many slow developing plays that We just had no chance. keep collins let him take a back seat role and let the OC AND DC coach the game.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I have no confidence in the coaching staff. To feel like we are on the right path means sacking all of them. If we can't do that, Geoff needs to shake up his staff and start taking blame for the product he is putting on the field.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
From Augusta Jackets comment we didn’t think we had any. I’m doubtful but IIWII. In the end unless CGC turns it around, it will likely take down TS as well.
Uh huh. But how much leverage did Geoff Collins have? You have to factor that in, too. From his record, I don't see a lot there. He wouldn't take 15 million dollars for 5 years? Sounds ridiculous to me.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Really? A "huge leap of faith"? Even the way things are now? And a seven-year contract to boot? And in all this, there is no indication that Eliot was even contacted. Amazing.

Elliot was contacted, but big money donors were after others. Believe it or not, many of the big money guys really wanted Whisenhunt, and had he been willing, he'd most likely be our coach now. He turned TStan down flat and only took the interview out of courtesy. By the time we cot through that nonsense, Elliott had enough time to see the writing on the wall and make the smart decision to stay at Clemson for now. The only people actively pursuing the job that would have taken a 5 year deal was Monken and Bohannon. Neither of those were ever seriously considered. I've heard that we also reached out to Mike Norvell but were rebuffed immediately. Cannot confirm through my GTAA source on that one though.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Uh huh. But how much leverage did Geoff Collins have? You have to factor that in, too. From his record, I don't see a lot there. He wouldn't take 15 million dollars for 5 years? Sounds ridiculous to me.

The leverage was that he was willing to take the job. Even with a 7 year contract we had people actively saying no thanks to even being considered for the job.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
He wasn't. He negotiated to 7 years. He wasn't about to come here for less.
Well, I do understand that is what you were told, and I also believe that TStan was playing some high stakes poker with Collin's agent, but it is my understanding that Collins sought out TStan very quickly after the PJ announcement. I believe if TStan would have ran the "bluff" a little longer, Collins would have folded for the 5 years. But, of course, that is JUST AN OPINION, no inside info here.

Also, you can always create a 7 year contract that requires meeting some lower end goals so that the last 2 years will "click in". Heck, you could have said that by year 3, you win 4 games, and by year 4, you win 5 games. There is creativity that could be used. But, I do agree that Collins was probably one of the few, if any, that were extremely excited about our opportunity.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
The leverage was that he was willing to take the job. Even with a 7 year contract we had people actively saying no thanks to even being considered for the job.
This is when I hate being a Jacket fan.

Six or seven years ago there was a strong movement on social media to get rid of CPJ. A few of us asked who would be willing to come to Tech for that salary who can actually win games. We were lambasted with the line that Tech was a great job that a lot of good coaches would want and we were just acting like losers.

My point is that if you like a current coach at Tech you can always argue “who would want this job who is any better?” If you don’t like a current coach then you argue that there are lots of better choices out there and we are just being a defeatist to stick with this guy a moment longer. People switch which narrative they use depending on who’s ox is getting gored.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

Six or seven years ago there was a strong movement on social media to get rid of CPJ. A few of us asked who would be willing to come to Tech for that salary who can actually win games. We were lambasted with the line that Tech was a great job that a lot of good coaches would want and we were just acting like losers.

My point is that if you like a current coach at Tech you can always argue “who would want this job who is any better?” If you don’t like a current coach then you argue that there are lots of better choices out there and we are just being a defeatist to stick with this guy a moment longer. People switch which narrative they use depending on who’s ox is getting gored.
I would imagine the truth is somewhere in between, but there I go imagining again.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
GT has always been a difficult job, but I would say that during PJ's tenure, the growth of difficulty began to be exponential. That is the problem, and GT is not the only school having to deal with the current state of "big boy, big $$" CF. But, we already had some built-in handicaps (like being STEM) before this exponential difficulty began.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

The issue wasn't GT, but rather replacing CPJ and his offense. Every CFB expert predicted that it would entail several years of losing while churning the roster. Some of our faithful fans refused to believe it. IF we fire CGC, we will have a much easier time finding a replacement because he has successfully restocked the roster with players almost anyone can build a program with.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
GT has always been a difficult job, but I would say that during PJ's tenure, the growth of difficulty began to be exponential. That is the problem, and GT is not the only school having to deal with the current state of "big boy, big $$" CF. But, we already had some built-in handicaps (like being STEM) before this exponential difficulty began.
I think many people still underestimate the damage that MBob did to the football program in a passive-aggressive attempt to get rid of CPJ. Since he wanted CPJ gone, and since he had some money guys urging him to get rid of CPJ, he should have just manned up and fired him instead of trying to tank the program and get him to quit. CPJ would have probably had some words to say about it, but I imagine he would have respected that more than the dumpster fire that situation turned into.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
The issue wasn't GT, but rather replacing CPJ and his offense. Every CFB expert predicted that it would entail several years of losing while churning the roster. Some of our faithful fans refused to believe it. IF we fire CGC, we will have a much easier time finding a replacement because he has successfully restocked the roster with players almost anyone can build a program with.
I’m really starting to believe that was overhyped. I bought it for awhile but things are just not adding up. Lots of teams have changed offensive schemes including changing to or from spread option type schemes and it didn’t take 7 years, CPJ changed an entire offensive scheme in one year.