What to do with Bruce Swilling?

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I think CNW (from the offers I’ve seen the D give out) is trying to get ultra athletic guys inside and the same outside except the outside need to be bigger guys with good length. 6’1-6’2 and 220-240 at ILB and 6’2-6’4 at OLB around 240-250 at OLB. He could play either 2 OLB’s like that, depending on who we are playing, or a guy at stinger in the mold of Thomas or Oliver.

Campbell is the rover.
Henderson was OLB but Thomas took his spot
Jackson is still a ILB

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
I don't understand what is going on with BJS. He looked to be set to be a starting inside linebacker at the end of last year. I know he injured his self by falling off a motor scooter but he should be healed up by now but is getting very little playing time. Perhaps we don't need him at linebacker. I think he could help out at defensive end. He is big and strong and has some quickness. Maybe work him in the rotation with Branch and St. Amore.

Perhaps he just is not as good as the hype? I don't know but if has the level of talent he is projected to have, we need to get him on the field more than we are.

Go Jackets!

Play him!

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Campbell is the rover.
Henderson was OLB but Thomas took his spot
Jackson is still a ILB
That’s because it’s whats best for the team right now. What I’m saying is If you look at the offers on D you can see what CNW would like at those positions. Campbell and Thomas at Stinger is probably fine for CNW and Jackson at ILB. I think Thomas is just playing OLB out of necessity.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
"The best part about it is that the coaches have said that they haven't even finished installing the whole defense yet."

Same can be said of our offense. :)

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

incognito

Georgia Tech Fan
I think CNW (from the offers I’ve seen the D give out) is trying to get ultra athletic guys inside and the same outside except the outside need to be bigger guys with good length. 6’1-6’2 and 220-240 at ILB and 6’2-6’4 at OLB around 240-250 at OLB. He could play either 2 OLB’s like that, depending on who we are playing, or a guy at stinger in the mold of Thomas or Oliver.

Ideally, athletic ILB is what this scheme needs, fast strong guys. Less about the weight, rather how they carry it. They Blitz yes, but need to react(& read) quickly to take on Guards on run plays, before they get too far downfield. But yeah, typically lighter than 4-3 MLBs who are more protected. Agree with your weight(~240) given height for OLB for the Jack spot(who does drop into coverage) this guy needs to be versatile & long, since he has Pass rush duty too. The other OLB will be the lightest of the 4, he has the most coverage responsibility.

9 is, but for ILB imo. 23 is fine speed wise too, there are other things holding him back imo. I’d like to see number 9 where 51 is.

I was surprised they started VA at OLB given what CNW inherited, just seems better suited to ILB, thought he was lighter, too.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
"The best part about it is that the coaches have said that they haven't even finished installing the whole defense yet."

Same can be said of our offense. :)

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

No, we seem to be "simplifying" every year. Can't remember the last time we actually went a year without hearing that word. Eventually we'll be down to BB dives and QB keepers, but CPJ will get angry for some reason or another and we'll just be down the BB dives. I'm kidding...but not really...

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Ideally, athletic ILB is what this scheme needs, fast strong guys. Less about the weight, rather how they carry it. They Blitz yes, but need to react(& read) quickly to take on Guards on run plays, before they get too far downfield. But yeah, typically lighter than 4-3 MLBs who are more protected. Agree with your weight(~240) given height for OLB for the Jack spot(who does drop into coverage) this guy needs to be versatile & long, since he has Pass rush duty too. The other OLB will be the lightest of the 4, he has the most coverage responsibility.

I was surprised they started VA at OLB given what CNW inherited, just seems better suited to ILB, thought he was lighter, too.
I agree he wants speed and athleticism and that weight might not mean as much but I think he’d wants speed athleticism and weight if possible. And I think that’s what we are recruiting.