What to do with Bruce Swilling?

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
That's a fair critique of my post.

I wasn't trying to compare the discussion on this thread with some of the oral diarrhea we've seen in past weeks. I think the discussion in here is fair...I would just be careful about naming people in titles. I don't know, you might be right that I am just too hypersensitive about that kind of thing.
Agreed.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
We graduate 3 LB (I'm counting Stinger as a LB position here) from the two deep so we might shuffle guys around as well for depth reasons and that might open up opportunities for him.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Just speculating here:

The transition from DC to DC relationship is also in play here. I would go out on a limb and say that CTR would be more forgiving of BJS learning on the scheme on the fly bc of the relationship with the Swilling family. So not only does he has learn the scheme but he also reprove himself to someone he totally not familiar or comfortable with. That is huge mountain climb, especially, if there are some setbacks (injury/scooter accident). So maybe he need to realize his 100% with CTR is not the same or valued the same with CNW

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
After this year Searcy and Lynch will be gone at A. We have some guys there but it's possible we might see howard move to A-back ( think big body Anthony Allen type back) to go with cotrell. I actually think that BJS will end up the starting Will next year on the inside with a Senior Curry moving to Mike. The real interesting thing will be what happens with Stinger. With thomas moving to jack ( and probably staying there) I'd actually think Juanyah should moved to stinger. He's a big body he's just going to get bigger and could be a real difference maker there.

However something to consider if we don't see him play. He played last year as a true freshman and Curry seems established in his spot this year. So far he has only played in 4 games. If we could somehwo redshirt him this year and give him the rest of the year to learn the system we should. It would help us out tremendously in the long run.
Stinger! He is too agreeable to be free safety

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
I still don't know why 51 doesn't rotate when so many other positions are revolving doors. If it's because he calls the plays and checks, then that's a system problem.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I still don't know why 51 doesn't rotate when so many other positions are revolving doors. If it's because he calls the plays and checks, then that's a system problem.

51 isnt even in the game in passing sets. Its not that. Just like the guy in front of charlie thomas, he has a teachers pet holdover disease woody listened to andy mac about and was wrong.

The problem is, bjs was injured and hasnt had the reps needed to catch up fast enough so we are stuck with a senior mlb that averages 2 solo tackles a game. Its bad. He was an issue under roof. Its worse now. At least with roofs squad he had a senior and deep secondary that could mask some mlb issues. Now. He is totally exposed and doesnt have two DT in front of him. Just one. He has to take the G more than ever and doesnt know how to do that either. Almost every play he gets stoned and is on his belly whiffing at someone.

For you talent folks. Yes. This is the one spot we dont have the talent needed starting. The rest of the spots are starting to form a bit. Secondary still young and struggling.

If i were to guess, with the youth and newness of scheme in secondary coaches are reluctant to also go young at half the lb positions too.....

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
My beef w the lb s is they are not quickly reading and moving up to cover open gaps due dl rush. It's like they are a step slow on the start - still in bend but dont break.

Maybe they will get in gear this week.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
I’ve heard people say that he may be our most talented running back but we are loaded there unless a couple move to A-back
Are the people you hear say that about him at RB part of the coaching staff? If so, I wonder why he's not playing RB if he's our most talented.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Are the people you hear say that about him at RB part of the coaching staff? If so, I wonder why he's not playing RB if he's our most talented.

That talk has gotta be from fans. I never wanted to see him at RB. Looked like a LB playing RB to me on the HS clips I saw. Just a bigger guy running into guys with not much lean/elusiveness. Works in HS but not at the college level. JMHO

He makes rotation/coverage calls but the MLB makes sets the entire defense

To what degree would it work having another guy making those calls in case the MLB gets hurt or ... is ineffective in his play?

Just a hypothetical question. :D

gtg845w

Jolly Good Fellow
He makes rotation/coverage calls but the MLB makes sets the entire defense
This is even more reason then to bench 51, its not like he is averaging 10 tackles/game to overcome that. A big complaint in the 3 losses were players were not in the right spots.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
That talk has gotta be from fans. I never wanted to see him at RB. Looked like a LB playing RB to me on the HS clips I saw. Just a bigger guy running into guys with not much lean/elusiveness. Works in HS but not at the college level. JMHO

To what degree would it work having another guy making those calls in case the MLB gets hurt or ... is ineffective in his play?

Just a hypothetical question. :D

They are in the same meetings and have to see the same things so the transition to Brant to David should be rather easy

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I know he injured his self by falling off a motor scooter but he should be healed up by now but is getting very little playing time.

I know CPJ is very big on 'rewarding' guys who practice and behave with playing time. Iirc, CPJ has a rule that if you miss practice you don't play that week. Assuming CNW follows that rule also. Since BJS missed some practice/game time due to something the coaches found stupid (injuring himself on a scooter that he probably shouldn't have been on). He's probably been on the $*** list. Maybe has to prove, to their satisfaction, that he's not only good enough to play; but dedicated, mature, responsible, etc, before the coaches 'trust' him with more playing time. eg Curry and Mitchell have "paid their dues".

Don't mean this as a criticism or an attack of BJS. He seems like a great young man and athlete. Just reading into our football team culture.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I know CPJ is very big on 'rewarding' guys who practice and behave with playing time. Iirc, CPJ has a rule that if you miss practice you don't play that week. Assuming CNW follows that rule also. Since BJS missed some practice/game time due to something the coaches found stupid (injuring himself on a scooter that he probably shouldn't have been on). He's probably been on the $*** list. Maybe has to prove, to their satisfaction, that he's not only good enough to play; but dedicated, mature, responsible, etc, before the coaches 'trust' him with more playing time. eg Curry and Mitchell have "paid their dues".

Don't mean this as a criticism or an attack of BJS. He seems like a great young man and athlete. Just reading into our football team culture.

I think its more a matter of grasp of the defense.

In roofs 4-2-5 his two MLB were basically coverage and side line to sideline reading. He rarely stunted and hte DL was there to tie up the offense and let the LBs make plays. In woody's D because the DL is stunign the linebackers have to know a bit more. Remember Curry was injured last year, it is entirely possible he would have started of BJS last year too.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I’ve been underwhelmed by 51 thus far also. That doesn’t necessarily mean 12 or anyone else is a sure fire improvement. I won’t be surprised if we see more rotation at the ILB spots. As @Ibeeballin hinted at...Curry seems to have a very good grasp of the scheme and should be able to set the D also.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
51 isnt even in the game in passing sets. Its not that. Just like the guy in front of charlie thomas, he has a teachers pet holdover disease woody listened to andy mac about and was wrong.

The problem is, bjs was injured and hasnt had the reps needed to catch up fast enough so we are stuck with a senior mlb that averages 2 solo tackles a game. Its bad. He was an issue under roof. Its worse now. At least with roofs squad he had a senior and deep secondary that could mask some mlb issues. Now. He is totally exposed and doesnt have two DT in front of him. Just one. He has to take the G more than ever and doesnt know how to do that either. Almost every play he gets stoned and is on his belly whiffing at someone.

For you talent folks. Yes. This is the one spot we dont have the talent needed starting. The rest of the spots are starting to form a bit. Secondary still young and struggling.

If i were to guess, with the youth and newness of scheme in secondary coaches are reluctant to also go young at half the lb positions too.....

bJS should be inside.He doesn't have enough flexibility to play in space.On that embarrassing long run by the Lville 2nd QB , bJS actually missed him TWICE. ---5 others also missed him.