What to do with Bruce Swilling?

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I don't understand what is going on with BJS. He looked to be set to be a starting inside linebacker at the end of last year. I know he injured his self by falling off a motor scooter but he should be healed up by now but is getting very little playing time. Perhaps we don't need him at linebacker. I think he could help out at defensive end. He is big and strong and has some quickness. Maybe work him in the rotation with Branch and St. Amore.

Perhaps he just is not as good as the hype? I don't know but if has the level of talent he is projected to have, we need to get him on the field more than we are.

Go Jackets!

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
He hasn't played great when he's been in there. He's got tons of talent and I'm sure he'll be fine where he's at but right now he seems a bit behind in the new system.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
He hasn't played great when he's been in there. He's got tons of talent and I'm sure he'll be fine where he's at but right now he seems a bit behind in the new system.
Bingo!!

I suspect that a lot of our D players - Glanton was very specific about it in the spring - are still having a hard time adjusting to a brand new D scheme. This isn't unexpected; I bet BJS would be starting right now in Roof's D. There's also the return to health of David Curry, who is a right good country LB himself and has more game experience.

I don't think this requires moving Swilling. My guess = you would hear Woody's yell all the way to Columbus if anyone even suggested such a thing. He'll do just fine where he is. Next year expect Curry and BJS as the starting ILBs.

cuttysark

Ramblin' Wreck
He's quality player and needs to be ready to step in just like Tobias at QB. Right now David Curry is playing quite well. So is true frosh Charley Thomas. It's called Depth. We haven't had that in quite some time.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
They're still trying to find the right spot for everyone like Charlie Thomas. Maybe he will find a spot to excel. Our ILB are not very good so I'm surprised he hasn't been able to make a move just based on his athleticism. Even if doesn't know the scheme he can't be worse than what we have now.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
I recall in woody's introductory press conference, him talking about "I want guys that react quickly, and diagnose plays quickly".

Well, BJS hasn't been a linebacker until last year. He doesn't have those instincts yet. It's going to take time with him. Frankly, I don't think he starts next year, either. I think he probably has to wait for Curry to graduate, AND THAT'S OKAY.

That's how things are SUPPOSED to work.

Deleted member 2897

Remember that people see this thread, and it can also get blasted out to Twitter and other places with the title displayed. Kids are smart and can have alerts set up to notify them of when there are news articles that mention them.

Note that 1 option per GTSwarm rules in Section III, Part 4, Sentence 5, Bullet Point 2 is to title the thread "Question About Linebacking Position". There are other options as well.

I don't want to come off as an old crotchety complainer, but this type of format just rubs me the wrong way.

giphy.gif

RiseUpATL

Banned
Remember that people see this thread, and it can also get blasted out to Twitter and other places with the title displayed. Kids are smart and can have alerts set up to notify them of when there are news articles that mention them.

Note that 1 option per GTSwarm rules in Section III, Part 4, Sentence 5, Bullet Point 2 is to title the thread "Question About Linebacking Position". There are other options as well.

I don't want to come off as an old crotchety complainer, but this type of format just rubs me the wrong way.

giphy.gif

I think you are too sensitive about twitter and are confusing that classless form of degradation of our players to actual and insightful views/analysis of our players on this board.

I don’t see an issue at all with the OP asking about a player. If the guys want to stay off the boards then practice harder and get better. Players get talked about individually all the time by our fans and other fanbases. As long as it’s constructive it’s good in my book.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
I’ve heard people say that he may be our most talented running back but we are loaded there unless a couple move to A-back
He didn’t play Running Back here for a reason, USC and LSU were all over him for running back but he wanted to play at Tech. Probably would’ve played Running Back at Tech if we ran a normal offense.

Deleted member 2897

I think you are too sensitive about twitter and are confusing that classless form of degradation of our players to actual and insightful views/analysis of our players on this board.

I don’t see an issue at all with the OP asking about a player. If the guys want to stay off the boards then practice harder and get better. Players get talked about individually all the time by our fans and other fanbases. As long as it’s constructive it’s good in my book.

That's a fair critique of my post.

I wasn't trying to compare the discussion on this thread with some of the oral diarrhea we've seen in past weeks. I think the discussion in here is fair...I would just be careful about naming people in titles. I don't know, you might be right that I am just too hypersensitive about that kind of thing.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I find it hard BJS would leave with Tre getting a lot of playing time. I sorta see them attached at the hip in that regard but i could be wrong

Last edited:

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I’ve heard people say that he may be our most talented running back but we are loaded there unless a couple move to A-back

After this year Searcy and Lynch will be gone at A. We have some guys there but it's possible we might see howard move to A-back ( think big body Anthony Allen type back) to go with cotrell. I actually think that BJS will end up the starting Will next year on the inside with a Senior Curry moving to Mike. The real interesting thing will be what happens with Stinger. With thomas moving to jack ( and probably staying there) I'd actually think Juanyah should moved to stinger. He's a big body he's just going to get bigger and could be a real difference maker there.

However something to consider if we don't see him play. He played last year as a true freshman and Curry seems established in his spot this year. So far he has only played in 4 games. If we could somehwo redshirt him this year and give him the rest of the year to learn the system we should. It would help us out tremendously in the long run.