What teams would you like to see on future Georgia Tech football schedules?

ClydeBrick

Ramblin' Wreck
You may want to check out 'Bama after Stallings and before Saban. No doubt Saban has been impressive in the modern era, but Saban is closer to the end than the beginning. I don't think 'Bama will "Bama" after he leaves. History has shown schools are more often going to go through a "drought" after a historical coach retires or moves on.

Checked it out:

Bammer was 67-55 (unofficially) during the post-Stallings/pre-Saban era. During those 10 years Bammer had three 10 win and four under 0.500 seasons (unofficially) leading to an SEC title and two Top 10 & one Top 25 finishes. It was a time marred by Stallings-era eligibility sanctions and Shula-era improper benefits sanctions. I am sure that most of their fans think of this time as the dark years.

When Saban leaves there may be a drought, but in Bammer's case monsoons seem to always be on the horizon. Bammer's two worst droughts have produced some pretty good hires; for three bad years in the 1950's and four "officially" bad years in 2000's they got Bryant and Saban.

Then there is the fact that after running off Wallace Wade, Bammer got Frank Thomas.

Make no mistake, I expect a drop off when Saban moves on, but I believe that it won't take them long to get it going again over there. Certainly not long enough that Bammer will be banging a tin cup for OOC games.

MikeJackets

Helluva Engineer
Checked it out:

Bammer was 67-55 (unofficially) during the post-Stallings/pre-Saban era. During those 10 years Bammer had three 10 win and four under 0.500 seasons (unofficially) leading to an SEC title and two Top 10 & one Top 25 finishes. It was a time marred by Stallings-era eligibility sanctions and Shula-era improper benefits sanctions. I am sure that most of their fans think of this time as the dark years.

When Saban leaves there may be a drought, but in Bammer's case monsoons seem to always be on the horizon. Bammer's two worst droughts have produced some pretty good hires; for three bad years in the 1950's and four "officially" bad years in 2000's they got Bryant and Saban.

Then there is the fact that after running off Wallace Wade, Bammer got Frank Thomas.

Make no mistake, I expect a drop off when Saban moves on, but I believe that it won't take them long to get it going again over there. Certainly not long enough that Bammer will be banging a tin cup for OOC games.
I think the coach who follows Nick Satan will win but he wont win enough to keep up with the expectations Bammer fans had with Saban and he will be fired or resign after 4 seasons.

ClydeBrick

Ramblin' Wreck
I have been thinking about this tread for a while. So much SEC envy in here. But hey I get it, and I hate to admit to it too.

What about the opposite:

You are about to enter another dimension. A dimension not only of sight and sound, but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land of imagination. Next stop, the GT-still-in-the-SEC Zone!

Imagine if Darwin Holt stopped at the whistle.
Imagine if Bryant made it to the SEC meeting and was able to get Frank Rose to vote to reduce scholarships to 32.

GT would be looking at the ACC for OOC games. None of the GT ACC "rivalries" would have ever existed. Outside of Clemson (a team that GT had a long history of using as a "cupcake"), which of the ACC schools would we want GT to play? If all we want is for GT to be challenged or to have a game of the week type of spotlight, who would we want?

F$U? - Sure, they have been nationally relevant and have a the goods. Who else?

Miami? Maybe back in the 1980's.
VT? Nah, that trophy case is still empty.
Duke, UNCheat, UVa, Pitt? Why?
Wake, NCS, BC? Who?
Syracuse, Louisville? Are we talking about round ball?

(2016 has seen some upgrades in the ACC, but for this thought exercise we are in the SEC Zone and one year's performance does not make for easy predictions for games that are going to be 5+ years down the road.)

Hmmmmmm.

Returning to reality - I bring this up to show that GT has to do two things to get to the NC game; 1) Win the ACC, 2) Be undefeated. (And hope that the rest of the ACC has had a good year.) GT football needs to consistently handle the task that is already before it; the ACC. Playing marquee OOC opponents will make #2 harder and doing #1 is hard enough.

Besides, playing marquee OOC opponents requires consistent excellence in conference (or be an FCS school). Do that and everything else will fall into place.

MikeJackets

Helluva Engineer
I have been thinking about this tread for a while. So much SEC envy in here. But hey I get it, and I hate to admit to it too.

What about the opposite:

You are about to enter another dimension. A dimension not only of sight and sound, but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land of imagination. Next stop, the GT-still-in-the-SEC Zone!

Imagine if Darwin Holt stopped at the whistle.
Imagine if Bryant made it to the SEC meeting and was able to get Frank Rose to vote to reduce scholarships to 32.

GT would be looking at the ACC for OOC games. None of the GT ACC "rivalries" would have ever existed. Outside of Clemson (a team that GT had a long history of using as a "cupcake"), which of the ACC schools would we want GT to play? If all we want is for GT to be challenged or to have a game of the week type of spotlight, who would we want?

F$U? - Sure, they have been nationally relevant and have a the goods. Who else?

Miami? Maybe back in the 1980's.
VT? Nah, that trophy case is still empty.
Duke, UNCheat, UVa, Pitt? Why?
Wake, NCS, BC? Who?
Syracuse, Louisville? Are we talking about round ball?

(2016 has seen some upgrades in the ACC, but for this thought exercise we are in the SEC Zone and one year's performance does not make for easy predictions for games that are going to be 5+ years down the road.)

Hmmmmmm.

Returning to reality - I bring this up to show that GT has to do two things to get to the NC game; 1) Win the ACC, 2) Be undefeated. (And hope that the rest of the ACC has had a good year.) GT football needs to consistently handle the task that is already before it; the ACC. Playing marquee OOC opponents will make #2 harder and doing #1 is hard enough.

Besides, playing marquee OOC opponents requires consistent excellence in conference (or be an FCS school). Do that and everything else will fall into place.
GT has a long history with Duke in football

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Alabama (historic)
Florida (historic...and we own them)
South Carolina (historic)
Ohio State (never played)
Oklahoma (never played)
Texas (only one meeting in 1943 Cotton Bowl)
UCLA (never played...and I want to go to the Rose Bowl)
Cal (historic...we played them a bunch in late December in true 30's after relationships were forged in the Rose Bowl)
Colorado (lets settle it...coming soon)
Hawaii (away)...selfish reasons
LSU (revenge)
Michigan (one meeting all time...time for them to come down here)

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
Auburn and Tenn would potentially be good for recruiting since we compete with them for so many athletes. Personally I would love to see the wild cards that we have rarely if ever have played before like Ohio State, Michigan, Washington, Stanford etc. Given their history, it would be so great to beat Oklahoma with our option.

MikeJackets

Helluva Engineer
Auburn and Tenn would potentially be good for recruiting since we compete with them for so many athletes. Personally I would love to see the wild cards that we have rarely if ever have played before like Ohio State, Michigan, Washington, Stanford etc. Given their history, it would be so great to beat Oklahoma with our option.
Yeah GT under Paul Johnson has gotten very good players out of Tennessee. It would be cool for GT to start playing UT home and home like in the 1950s-1980s.

a5ehren

Jolly Good Fellow
It would be interesting to do a home and home with Georgia State playing one of the games in Turner Field.
I'd rather not acknowledge State's existence. Nothing good comes from that on our end.

In political terms, we need to keep propping up Southern with payoff games to make sure State does not effect us going forward.

ClydeBrick

Ramblin' Wreck
GT has a long history with Duke in football
Yes - but the point was; would GT-in-the-SEC in 2017 look to play Duke OOC?

The bigger point was GT needs to consistently handle the business that is already on its plate before regularly going after games like the ones everyone is talking about. But this is the off season, so it is truly the time of fantasy football.

So in the spirit of dreams and wishes, here is my team that I want GT to play every year; The ACC Atlantic Division Champion - in December.

I believe that playing that game will benefit the program more than any other possible game GT could ever schedule.

MikeJackets

Helluva Engineer
Yes - but the point was; would GT-in-the-SEC in 2017 look to play Duke OOC?

The bigger point was GT needs to consistently handle the business that is already on its plate before regularly going after games like the ones everyone is talking about. But this is the off season, so it is truly the time of fantasy football.

So in the spirit of dreams and wishes, here is my team that I want GT to play every year; The ACC Atlantic Division Champion - in December.

I believe that playing that game will benefit the program more than any other possible game GT could ever schedule.
Yeah I understand what you're saying and you make a lot of sense.;)(y)

MikeJackets

Helluva Engineer
I'd rather not acknowledge State's existence. Nothing good comes from that on our end.

In political terms, we need to keep propping up Southern with payoff games to make sure State does not effect us going forward.
Georgia State's position is going to get even worse with Kennesaw State starting to play very good football. I wouldn't be surprised if Georgia State ends their football program in the future if they win 1-2 games every season.