What needs to happen for you to want to keep CPJ?

What needs to happen for you to want to keep CPJ?

• Keep him no matter what

Votes: 158 61.7%
  • Fire him no matter what

Votes: 14 5.5%
  • At least 8 wins

Votes: 64 25.0%
  • Beat uga

Votes: 20 7.8%

• Total voters

Animal02

Banned
Damn I'm tired of Tech fans saying our 1990 team was not the best team that year. We were. You really think Colorado...with their losses and 5th down win...was the better team?

Rarely is the NC the "best team" in the nation. Most often, there are other teams around that would beat the NC more than 50% of the time. Same holds true for most sports.
Colorado was one of the least deserving....especially between the 5th down and the false clipping penalty against ND in the Orange Bowl.

There is far more to going undefeated than just having the "best" or most talented on the field
Winning a NC is about being "best" at particular moments during the season.......and that is what the 1990 team did.

Old South Stands

Jolly Good Fellow
^^ Coach Tom Osborne was the guy who cast the "deciding" vote in the UPI poll (his vote made a difference, anyway). The Cornhuskers were the only team that played both Colorado and Tech that same season, and if I remember correctly, CTO said unequivocally that Tech was the better of the two teams. The only team I would have been afraid for Tech to play in 1990 would have been Miami... They lost two games that season, but might have been as good a team. There were some athletes on the '90 Tech team I don't know if we'll ever see again for a long while. Pepper brought in some great athletes but couldn't generate any consistency or build a program. Ross did some great things here with athletes and program-building, and if he'd stayed... Well, who knows?

Voted to get a new coach if CPJ couldn't get 8 wins this season -- it was a little rash and following on the raw emotion of losing a close game Tech could have won. If I had to do it again, I wouldn't have cast that vote. The Jackets ought to be able to win three more, but with next season being a tough schedule, it might be too much to expect a stellar season for '15. Personally, I'd like to see CPJ finish out his career at Tech, especially if he can generate consistent bowl-eligible seasons. One of the main reasons is consistency for the program. Someone mentioned earlier that Coach Curry turned the Tech HC job into a stepping stone job after leaving for Alabama. Prior to that, the Tech job was one of the nation's more prestigious ones. Coaches generally stayed at Tech and weren't angling for new jobs. If CPJ can turn the corner and stay 5-6 more years, or even 10, that would set a good example for the next guy to come along.

Had dinner last night with a good friend who's a pilot; he worked for a charter company that flew both Mark Richt and Paul Johnson on recruiting trips. He had nothing but good things to say about both men, that both were real gentlemen with a lot of class. He said coach Johnson has humble and extremely funny, in a wry kind of way... a real easy-going guy in person. Not the arrogant type personality some may glean from the news, etc. It was good to hear.

Animal02

Banned
Personally, I'd like to see CPJ finish out his career at Tech, especially if he can generate consistent bowl-eligible seasons. One of the main reasons is consistency for the program. Someone mentioned earlier that Coach Curry turned the Tech HC job into a stepping stone job after leaving for Alabama. Prior to that, the Tech job was one of the nation's more prestigious ones. Coaches generally stayed at Tech and weren't angling for new jobs. If CPJ can turn the corner and stay 5-6 more years, or even 10, that would set a good example for the next guy to come along.

I agree completely.

The other big factor why I favor keeping CPJ is that we have been competitive in most losses as well. To date, CPJ has won 54 and lost 34 games (if my math is correct) Of those losses, only six have been by 21 points or more. while 17 have been single digit (and a one score game) difference.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
^^^ yes i like that too, even in losses we are almost always in it till the end, unlike Ccg's teams
Close but no cigar is not comforting in and of itself, it's still losing. However, as long as you are still improving, it means you will eventually get over the hump. We've been a collection of steps forward and backwards which is hard to eliminate in college football simply due to the nature of players cycling through college. It's even harder when you have recruiting disadvantages, do not oversign and experience crazy off season attrition.

Animal02

Banned
Close but no cigar is not comforting in and of itself, it's still losing. However, as long as you are still improving, it means you will eventually get over the hump. We've been a collection of steps forward and backwards which is hard to eliminate in college football simply due to the nature of players cycling through college. It's even harder when you have recruiting disadvantages, do not oversign and experience crazy off season attrition.

I think close losses are much harder to take than blow outs. The close losses were winnable games, and a play or two make the difference......

Damn I'm tired of Tech fans saying our 1990 team was not the best team that year. We were. You really think Colorado...with their losses and 5th down win...was the better team? Just damn. (To argue against this...our schedule that year was not as weak as many claim. UVA tanking late has given rise to this thinking largely. UVA tanked due to injuries...when we played them they had only one significant loss for the year, an All America tight end lost the week b4 the Tech game. After Tech the suffered injuries to both Moore's, QB and All-America Wr and never recovered. Then look at what we did to Clemson, UGA, and Nebraska that year. We deserved #1 and Colorado getting a share was pure BS.) ....Rant and derail finished.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I think close losses are much harder to take than blow outs. The close losses were winnable games, and a play or two make the difference......
I agree, they are harder to swallow. However, when taken in the context of overall/long term program health and direction, they are better than blowouts.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Well whenever Georgia Tech gets to 5-0 it conjures up visions of 1990, where a team that was NOT the best team in the nation, caught fire and went undefeated. I think you have been a fan for a long long time, like me, and you will have to admit, Tech does some remarkable things every now and then. Things that defy logic. But you are correct, it was foolish to go all in knowing how depleted of athletes we are on defense. I am hoping that we can scrounge a couple of more wins out of this season---but there is a lot of video tape out there now documenting where are warts are.
My take on 1990 was different. I remember being impressed with Ross from the get go, something that surprised me since I was not expecting that much from him. The season prior to 1990 I remember thinking that the record on the field did not truly indicate how well the team was playing and how well they were coached. When 1990 started I had unbelievably (and uncharacteristically for a Tech fan) high expectations. I honestly believed that if they could beat Virginia they had a shot to go all the way. To this day I do not think there was a better team in the country that year. Had Virginia beaten Tech and had they not lost some key starters I believe they would have been the best team. But no other team in the country that year was as balanced as Tech on both sides of the ball and with special teams. And my goodness did they play without making mistakes.

Rarely is the NC the "best team" in the nation. Most often, there are other teams around that would beat the NC more than 50% of the time. Same holds true for most sports.
Colorado was one of the least deserving....especially between the 5th down and the false clipping penalty against ND in the Orange Bowl.

There is far more to going undefeated than just having the "best" or most talented on the field
Winning a NC is about being "best" at particular moments during the season.......and that is what the 1990 team did.

Completely agree. Have said for years that going undefeated should win a team the championship. You will see how difficult doing that is every year, including this year. Luckily there was no playoff or BCS that year, or I might not have been able to see the Jackets take Nebraska apart and win it all. My original point was along the lines of --having seen what transpired in 1990, it was easy to get excited when we started 5-0 this year. In 1990, we kept winning, but were not dominate by a long shot. We got tied by a 6-4-1 Tarheel team , and we beat a 6-5 VPI team 6-3 who had lost to Temple, and who UVA (with a slew of injuries) dismantled 38-13 in Lane Stadium. It was a great run, a great team, I just don't think anyone would consider us the best team that year.

He has until next year if he is the man for the job. Tech has been good to CPJ and honestly he has been good for GT. Next season is the make or break for CPJ because of the schedule.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Well JBR...the majority of coaches thought we were the best team in 90....by a slim margin granted but a majority regardless. Don't let me slow down your self loathing of Tech though. Maybe you should write the AD and pres and request we send our crystal trophy to Colorado so they can have the UPI trophy too.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Well, no one probably wants my take, but here goes:

PJ is a paradox. His system provides a way to be competitive with a lower quality/quantity of talent. BUT, and this is a BIG but, in my opinion, his system has added another handicap to GT recruiting, and Lord knows, we did not need any more negative target practice from other schools/coaches. This may be unfair and somewhat perception only, but I definitely think it has had a tangible results in our recruiting woes. Don't tell me about "stars"!! The 3-star guys we have gotten have not, for the most part, been the upper echelon of that grouping.

So, with that said, I like PJ. I like his system. I want it to work. I would love to see him at GT for years and years. But, I do not believe he will be able to turn this extra recruiting handicap around, but I am willing to wait and see. I do realize that when we change coaches, if we change coaches, it will be a long transition back to even moderate success.