What needs to happen for you to want to keep CPJ?

What needs to happen for you to want to keep CPJ?

• Keep him no matter what

Votes: 158 61.7%
  • Fire him no matter what

Votes: 14 5.5%
  • At least 8 wins

Votes: 64 25.0%
  • Beat uga

Votes: 20 7.8%

• Total voters

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I can only see Nebraska as being a serious contender to pull CPJ away from GT.
Michigan ole timers will only be happy with "pro style" offenses..
Florida will rip Mullens from Miss St.

I know some Mich oldtimers that wanted/want CPJ ... 40 yr season ticket holders who say it's been discussed.

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
I don't think Michigan or Florida would pull the trigger on offering CPJ. Too risky a hire.
As many of our fans have demonstrated, even when the offense is doing well it will be blamed for underperforming.

If Nebraska were in a terrible spot, I think they could offer because of their option history... but they're 8-2 right now.
I can't think of a bigger school than GT that could seriously offer right now.

I agree with Bruce Wayne's list.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I'm gonna go out on a limb as say no one in this forum works in the athletic department of any p5 school. So none of us know who might come calling for CPJs services. Your best conjecture is just that...conjecture. I'm not advocating an insane Hewitt deal. What I'm saying is CPJ and his staff, need to be paid on par with factory schools.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I don't think Michigan or Florida would pull the trigger on offering CPJ. Too risky a hire.
As many of our fans have demonstrated, even when the offense is doing well it will be blamed for underperforming.

If Nebraska were in a terrible spot, I think they could offer because of their option history... but they're 8-2 right now.

Pellini could be on UFs list.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

FWIW, Auburn REALLY wanted CPJ after the 2008 season and CPJ has kinda alluded to it before without actually naming Auburn. It's probably a good reason why GT gave him a 7 year extension after 1 season.

CPJ would be a really good hire...it's just a matter if an AD had the balls to make that call. Michigan is getting a new AD, so I'm not sure the new AD would make that call.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
And some NC State folks wanted PJ before the strings got pulled to hire Chuck Amato.

I think Texas Tech wanted PJ while he was still out at Hawaii and he turned it down.

GTL

Jolly Good Fellow
So I suggest Bobinski communicating to him that he wants to have a sit down and review of his contract and the program after the ACC championship game before the bowl game. Then you figure out a way to give him a respectful raise/contract (but no rollover Hewitt nonsense), find out what he wants to see to further the program and work out finances in those areas as well. For example, it may mean as much or more to CPJ at this point in his career and personal finances (always heard he has been a shrewd investor anyway so has no financial worries) if Bobinski finds a way to get CPJ's coaching staff raises, and even better paid or more help in the recruiting office. That could do more to keep CPJ satisfied running the Tech program than just throwing a truckload of cash or some ridiculously sweet contract extension at him. Showing overall commitment to bettering the program and rewarding those CPJ hires and relies upon has real value as well.

Bobinski should ask Paul what he needs to put together a national championship team...and give him as much of it as possible. Much is already in place, facilities, recruiting team, etc. That's what will keep him here. Much to our joy.

pauley_GT

Georgia Tech Fan
Wow, just incredible how this conversation has gone 180 since the start of the year. Curious what people will be saying if we lose to the dwags.

I am curious though, what happen if someone does poach cpj away from us. Do we hire Roof as head coach and get a triple option OC? Does Roof adopt a new offense? Or do we get a new coaching staff all together? Obviously I hope none of this happens.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Mullen isn't likely to go to FL, he and Foley don't get along at all. The early name I'm hearing there is Mike Gundy, very good offensive mind in the mold of a Spurrier and young enough to be there for a while. He's done a good job at Okie St and, other than his semi infamous rant, generally handles himself well with the media.

As to PJ I could certainly see Michigan or Nebraska calling. Pellini is close to wearing out his welcome and Michigan fans loves a power running game. It's time to lock him up, he's earned it!

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Mullen isn't likely to go to FL, he and Foley don't get along at all. The early name I'm hearing there is Mike Gundy, very good offensive mind in the mold of a Spurrier and young enough to be there for a while. He's done a good job at Okie St and, other than his semi infamous rant, generally handles himself well with the media.

As to PJ I could certainly see Michigan or Nebraska calling. Pellini is close to wearing out his welcome and Michigan fans loves a power running game. It's time to lock him up, he's earned it!
I saw that name thrown out as well. Gundy is from Oklahoma, played at Ok State, and has coached at Ok State for almost all of his career. He also has a nice salary, a long contract, and plenty of support over there. Seems like a lot to throw away to take over at Florida.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
I saw that name thrown out as well. Gundy is from Oklahoma, played at Ok State, and has coached at Ok State for almost all of his career. He also has a nice salary, a long contract, and plenty of support over there. Seems like a lot to throw away to take over at Florida.

Yep it does but he's going to be a perennial #2 in your own state unless you go on a national championship run, not for one year but multiple years. Recruiting at Okie State is a bear compared to FL. I could see him staying but at his age what does he have to lose? Money will be better, facilities (despite T.Boone) are better, more fanatical fans and, frankly, he'll get better players at FL than he ever would at Okie State.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Hell....I got curious today and turned the radio boobs on for a bit. They all managed to annoy me within a few minutes of listening in. I was a bit surprised to hear chucky boy say CPJ is a good coach with a good system. Buck pretty much came out and said CPJ is excellent. I don't hang my hat on anything they say but was a bit surprised at chucky's about face.

TheGridironGeek

Jolly Good Fellow
FWIW, Auburn REALLY wanted CPJ after the 2008 season and CPJ has kinda alluded to it before without actually naming Auburn. It's probably a good reason why GT gave him a 7 year extension after 1 season.

CPJ would be a really good hire...it's just a matter if an AD had the balls to make that call. Michigan is getting a new AD, so I'm not sure the new AD would make that call.

It's interesting because Auburn ended up hiring a HS coach and running a version of a "high school" offense, the Wing T. This past Saturday notwithstanding, it's worked out great for them.

People always make the same mistake when they think "Offense x won't work at the next level because the defenses are bigger and faster." Yeah...so are the offenses. It's a trees-blocking-the-forest syndrome.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
It's interesting because Auburn ended up hiring a HS coach and running a version of a "high school" offense, the Wing T. This past Saturday notwithstanding, it's worked out great for them.

People always make the same mistake when they think "Offense x won't work at the next level because the defenses are bigger and faster." Yeah...so are the offenses. It's a trees-blocking-the-forest syndrome.

That is the exact point I make as well. Great minds think alike!

TheGridironGeek

Jolly Good Fellow
That is the exact point I make as well. Great minds think alike!

Hahaha!

I don't consider myself insightful, I just read Run To Daylight when I was 12. Lombardi wrote that when he reached the NFL everyone said "It's all about the QB's arm now. You can't run the ball much because the defenses are too athletic." He said they had all forgotten that football is physics and physics is relative. A ground game could be stronger, faster and more sophisticated just as a defense could be. Zone blocking was considered a "college" concept at the time that would never work in the pros, but 10 years later every team wanted to be the Packers.

Think of last season, all the superstar passing QB's were hyped up and considered unbeatable. But Auburn won the SEC with the same offense my local high school uses. And Seattle ran the zone-read against Denver, controlled the LOS and won the Super Bowl by 50 points. Nothing really changes.

CHE90

Jolly Good Fellow

The interim Michigan AD has/had an office in my building. I could go have a talk with him about CPJ.