What happened ?

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
My sister lives in the tri-cities area of Tenn and said a new craft brewery has opened. She brought me some and their IPA is pretty darn tasty.

Called YeeHaw if you see them

CHE90

Jolly Good Fellow
Let's get this thing back on topic.

In Today's USA Today, Grand Rapids Michigan was named the "Best Beer Scene". They cited world class Founders Brewery and a bunch of others in the area without huge national distribution.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Let's get this thing back on topic.

In Today's USA Today, Grand Rapids Michigan was named the "Best Beer Scene". They cited world class Founders Brewery and a bunch of others in the area without huge national distribution.
An attorney I've worked for in the past left his practice last year to start a brewery in Grand Rapids. Was Harsens Island one of them?

CHE90

Jolly Good Fellow
An attorney I've worked for in the past left his practice last year to start a brewery in Grand Rapids. Was Harsens Island one of them?
That name does not ring a bell. Some of the smaller ones are Perrins, Harmonie, the Mitten, New Holland, Brewery Vivant. Do any of those sound like your friend's brewery?

CHE90

Jolly Good Fellow
I just googled it. Looks like it on the east side of the state in Marysville, a Detroit suburb. Grand Rapids is on the west side. Close to Lake Michigan and about 2 hours from Detroit.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
What do they call that? Going over the wall? It is an odd profession in my experience. I know many who love the practice of law, both civil and criminal. And others who just hate it; it is not what they thought it would be at all. But as it turns out it can prepare one for other pursuits.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
This is one of my favorite threads and I haven't contributed other than to complain about someone talking football :confused:

Since this seems focused on the Midwest so far I'll second/third New Glarus (specifically Spotted Cow) and add Founders, Bell's, and 3 Floyd's to my list of favorites. Favorite beer specifically is Ale Asylum's Velveteen Habit. Not so much a fan of their other stuff.

Asheville, NC and Portland, OR are the best beer scenes I've experienced in the States. Haven't spent enough time in the Midwest outside of Chicago to compare.

CHE90

Jolly Good Fellow
I love Descheute's. I think they are in Portland. I will have to check out Velveteen Habit. One I liked in the south is Olde Mecklenberg in Charlotte.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I tend to stick up for New England beers. Most people have heard of Sam Adams but what I did not know until I moved up here is that almost every little town has a micro pub or brewery. Most of the best stuff does not leave the region.

Of the better "traveled" bears I really like Long Trail (Vermont) on tap. Their Ale and their Double Bag (think deeper, darker Guinness) are quite good. If you are ever in Vermont I recommend a trip to their brewery. They have very loyal customers who, for some reason, are committed to being photographed drinking this beer in every conceivable outdoor adventure, including on top of Mount Everest.

Wachusett (Massachusetts) has a blue berry beer that beats any other beer of its type I have ever tried. Orono Brewing Company out of Maine uses techniques and ingredients from famous beers around the world and does a really credible job.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
I tend to stick up for New England beers. Most people have heard of Sam Adams but what I did not know until I moved up here is that almost every little town has a micro pub or brewery. Most of the best stuff does not leave the region.

Of the better "traveled" bears I really like Long Trail (Vermont) on tap. Their Ale and their Double Bag (think deeper, darker Guinness) are quite good. If you are ever in Vermont I recommend a trip to their brewery. They have very loyal customers who, for some reason, are committed to being photographed drinking this beer in every conceivable outdoor adventure, including on top of Mount Everest.

Wachusett (Massachusetts) has a blue berry beer that beats any other beer of its type I have ever tried. Orono Brewing Company out of Maine uses techniques and ingredients from famous beers around the world and does a really credible job.
I'm a huge Long Trail fan, they make some great beers. Their brewery sits along a snowmobile trail, so you always see a bunch of sleds parked out there in winter (can't go too wild, VT state troopers are out on the trails too). They also make a Triple Bag that's pretty potent too. Maybe I'm partial to them though because I won an awesome slopeside condo snowboard trip from them one time.
About the blueberry beer, I'm a Sea Dog man, but the wachusett is pretty solid too

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I'm a huge Long Trail fan, they make some great beers. Their brewery sits along a snowmobile trail, so you always see a bunch of sleds parked out there in winter (can't go too wild, VT state troopers are out on the trails too). They also make a Triple Bag that's pretty potent too. Maybe I'm partial to them though because I won an awesome slopeside condo snowboard trip from them one time.
About the blueberry beer, I'm a Sea Dog man, but the wachusett is pretty solid too
Sea Dog is good.

I need to pay attention more. I probably heard at one time that you had stomped around New England but I tend to me a little mindless on this site, so that it is not like work, and I forget things. I really do love the Long Trail brewery. The bar food is really good and I love their "organic" fuel for firing up the tanks.