What FR get on the field?

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
I would have guessed the exact opposite just based on class distribution (5 RS o-linemen from last year).

agreed on the o part. i was thinking more on the D side of the ball. i think we had three redshirts? jalen johnson, kagawa, tre jackson? we played 6.

In part we were trying to get the numbers back in order.

The 2013 class only had 14 signees...and we have lost 6 of them. Which put us at 8 for that class.

So playing more true Fr from the 2014 class will hopefully help even out numbers for future classes.

Which is also another reason I expect to see us play a good bit of Fr this year.

makes sense and i agree we'll see plenty of freshman this year, but i think the good news is that many of those guys are ready to contribute and will play because they can. i think we'll have some impact guys at special teams, will bryan will play, vic alexander will play, and glanton or henderson will play. some of other guys by necessity maybe (DL), but they can compete as well.

I don't think some of the guys this past year on the DL were ready to play but were forced into service due to thin numbers. i think we could've also afforded to shirt two of the freshman dbs....

Oh well..

Vic and Will Bryan are my two impact true freshman. edited to add: some b back will step up to spell leggett or take over and legget spell them

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
agreed on the o part. i was thinking more on the D side of the ball. i think we had three redshirts? jalen johnson, kagawa, tre jackson? we played 6.

makes sense and i agree we'll see plenty of freshman this year, but i think the good news is that many of those guys are ready to contribute and will play because they can. i think we'll have some impact guys at special teams, will bryan will play, vic alexander will play, and glanton or henderson will play. some of other guys by necessity maybe (DL), but they can compete as well.

I don't think some of the guys this past year on the DL were ready to play but were forced into service due to thin numbers. i think we could've also afforded to shirt two of the freshman dbs....

Oh well..

Vic and Will Bryan are my two impact true freshman.

Agreed.

Only two RS on D...Jalen and Tre.

Kagawa played on ST.

MtownJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Nathan Cottrell - A Back and returner
Marcus Marshall - I think he actually sees the field at A-back this year
Quaide Weimerskirch - B Back
Mikell Lands-Davis - B Back
Christian Philpott - WR
Harland Howell - WR
Kyle Cerge-Henderson - DT
Vic Alexander - LB
AJ Gray - S

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I my opinion he impressed me more in getting in the backfield and causing havoc more than Freeman. I hope the added weight doesn't slow him down.

Simmons played a lot at SDE in the fourth Q in the OB when MSU was in passing mode. He came real close to some sacks and got in on some running plays. He had a little trouble finishing but I saw a lot of effort and encouragement for the future. In passing mode he can go to SDE and supplement Freeman, or give him some rest at WDE.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
MLD-has a great shot, early PT was high on his list for committing to us.

M. Marshall- I think he's physically peaked and too good to keep off the field, possible AB role

Aj Gray- Starts at safety in 4-2-5

Philpott and Howell- Both will push for starting positions by mid season

ASA- beats out a couple of guys from last years class, forcing them to redshirt

Cottrell- too fast

Benson- Physically ready

**Vic- has to beat out Beau, and Tre. Probably redshirts

Eli

Helluva Engineer
I don't see AJ playing this year. He is really good but we have a ton of returning defensive backs

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Need will dictate many shirts. As all know we are super thin at WR, BB, and AB. Here's my 2deep pre spring.

QB- JT,TB
BB- Leggett, J. Bryan*
AB- Andrews, Law Austin
AB- Snoddy, Searcy
WR- Summers, Messick
WR- Jeune,
OT- Joe, Griffen
OG- Brown, Brigham, O'Reilly
C- Burden, Marshall
OG- Braun, Devine
OT- Chamberlain, Fromayen

DE- Freeman, Simmons
DT- Gotsis, Gamble
DT- Hunt, Kallon
DE- Rook-Chungong, Meeriwearher
Sam- Demond Smith, Lance Austin
LB- P. Daniels, Marcordes
LB- Harrell, Jackson
FS- Golden, C. Griffin
SS- Noble*, L. Griffin
CB- White, Durham
CB- Milton, L. Griffin

*as for the nickel / Sam....Noble would seem to be a good fit here with his size
*we really have no one other than Bryan that looks like a candidate here. I'd prefer to try him at WR tho..6'5" good speed, hand eye coordination of a center fielder. Worked out with Smelter.

We will possibly pull shirts from two WR, two BBs, and 3-4 ABs IMO. We might be able to redshirt most if not all of our DBs. I think at least one LB plays and likely one DE. I think the rest of the linemen, including Bryan and Henderson/Glanton...could get shirts.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Watched film on just about every guy tonight. Marcus is the most exciting to me. I know a lot of people have said A back, but it's got to be B back. The cuts right after hitting the hole are something we haven't had since Dwyer. He won't touch the ball enough at A back. Haven't watched Leggett much, but I think Marcus gets a lot of reps at B Back this year.

thwgjacket

image.jpg
image.jpg
I feel like #6 could play now

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
Watched film on just about every guy tonight. Marcus is the most exciting to me. I know a lot of people have said A back, but it's got to be B back. The cuts right after hitting the hole are something we haven't had since Dwyer. He won't touch the ball enough at A back. Haven't watched Leggett much, but I think Marcus gets a lot of reps at B Back this year.
I thought the same thing, I really wish we could afford to redshirt him if he's not going to start next year or get alot of touches. By year 2 I think he's starting at BB

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Need will dictate many shirts. As all know we are super thin at WR, BB, and AB. Here's my 2deep pre spring.

QB- JT,TB
BB- Leggett, J. Bryan*
AB- Andrews, Law Austin
AB- Snoddy, Searcy
WR- Summers, Messick
WR- Jeune,
OT- Joe, Griffen
OG- Brown, Brigham, O'Reilly
C- Burden, Marshall
OG- Braun, Devine
OT- Chamberlain, Fromayen

DE- Freeman, Simmons
DT- Gotsis, Gamble
DT- Hunt, Kallon
DE- Rook-Chungong, Meeriwearher
Sam- Demond Smith, Lance Austin
LB- P. Daniels, Marcordes
LB- Harrell, Jackson
FS- Golden, C. Griffin
SS- Noble*, L. Griffin
CB- White, Durham
CB- Milton, L. Griffin

*as for the nickel / Sam....Noble would seem to be a good fit here with his size
*we really have no one other than Bryan that looks like a candidate here. I'd prefer to try him at WR tho..6'5" good speed, hand eye coordination of a center fielder. Worked out with Smelter.

We will possibly pull shirts from two WR, two BBs, and 3-4 ABs IMO. We might be able to redshirt most if not all of our DBs. I think at least one LB plays and likely one DE. I think the rest of the linemen, including Bryan and Henderson/Glanton...could get shirts.
Tulsa better watch the F out next year.

Truittfields39

Georgia Tech Fan
While I do agree that we need help at SDE, I don't see why we would burn Anree's RS..
Have we forgot about Whitehead? Plus Simmons, and Rook with any other summer in the weight room. Seems like a pretty decent postion to me! If we burn Anree's RS we are saying that the Whitehead transfer was a bust. If Whitehead proves to be a baller then the DE postion all the sudden becomes a huge strength for us. Freeman and whitehead causing havoc for opposing QB's.

Last edited:

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
AJ Gray. He sees the field. Even if only ST.

Also, not sure that he gets PT as a FR. but I'm gonna say Will Bryan goes down as one of the best offensive lineman at GT ever.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I think AJ Gray playing this year depends on where Lynn Griffin ends up. Corey Griffin should take over for IJ and I’m also very high on John Marvin backing up Corey. That leaves Golden at the other safety spot but without a backup. If Lynn moves to safety to back up Golden, AJ may end up redshirting. If not, I can see AJ backing up Golden and preparing to take over full time in 2016.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I think AJ Gray playing this year depends on where Lynn Griffin ends up. Corey Griffin should take over for IJ and I’m also very high on John Marvin backing up Corey. That leaves Golden at the other safety spot but without a backup. If Lynn moves to safety to back up Golden, AJ may end up redshirting. If not, I can see AJ backing up Golden and preparing to take over full time in 2016.

Based on CPJ remarks J Johnson could be in the safety mix as well (backup to Golden). Regardless of RS or not IMO Gray replaces Golden next year. I can foresee ST play in 2015 from C Griffin, L Griffin, J Johnson, and Marvin and all getting some PT rotation with C Griffin and Golden starting.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
AnreeSA may be too good to keep off the field. He is on another level like JAtt.

i think (and hope) that Anree and Gray have nfl potential, hopefully that pans out at the next level and they show in fall camp that they are too good to keep off the field, it would be a real shame to redshirt them and then lose them to the pro's after their junior year