What FR get on the field?

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I'm tempted to say the four early enrollees, especially Henderson in rotation, but there's so much work in Spring and Summer that the coaches' work has only really started. I'm not sure if we have B-Back by committee this year, so it might be hard to break into the B-Back lineup.

Wouldn't Alexander have to take time away from Paul Davis? You've got Harrell at OLB. You've got the Austin kids in the secondary. Maybe it'll be tough to crack the lineup?
If you look at how many LB’s we rotated in and out the last few games of last season I think we’ll continue to try and do the same. Vic getting on the field depends on if he can beat out guys like Tre Jackson and Terrell Lewis.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Not counting special teams..

Most likely
Nathan Cottrell - A Back - Fast/but controls speed to allow for blocks, protects the ball, and can cut
Marcus Marshall - B Back or A Back - Is big enough and has some great skills
Quaide Weimerskirch - B Back - Coming in early will really help but could be a battle with MLD or M Marshall.
Harland Howell - WR Coming in early will really help
Kyle Cerge-Henderson - DT GT needs some rotation here! and coming in early helps

Could
Anree Saint-Amour - SDE Could use some help here. He could use a year putting on weight for SDE. If he shows out in the summer, I could see him make the field.
Vic Alexander - LB - His body is already ready, but do we have a spot in the 2 deep. If GT played 3 LB more then I think he would move up a notch.

Unlikely but Possible
These guys could play, but I see lower level needs except for a possible safety spot. CB should be covered with DJ White, Chris Milton, Austin, and Durham. These guys have some skills that it makes it hard for me to count them out for 2015.
Dorian Walker - CB
Meiko Dotson - CB
Dante Wigley - CB
AJ Gray - S
David Curry - LB/s

gtcrew

Jolly Good Fellow
Great question of course. The class has stars at every position, but no indisputable "can't keep him off the field" guys. So the analysis is really what position has unproven or questionable depth.

QB is set for 2015. OL is looking decent, and is tough to make an impact for a freshman, even a great one. The secondary is a strength.

The rest of the positions have opportunities in the two deep. WR seems to be one of the easier positions for a freshman to impact. Philpott? We aren't deep at ABack, and we typically like a deep rotation there. I expect one, maybe two to break into the lineup. IIRC, we are two deep at BBack. If we stay healthy, we might redshirt everybody there.

DL depends a lot on Days' grades. DL is a bad spot to have to put an 18 y/o, but we might have to play someone.

Last is LB. The players we have will be a year stronger and smarter. I don't think we rotate LB excessively, so I think we will be careful about burning a redshirt here, is my humble opinion.

tl;dr. WR, probably Philpott and Stewart, but Howell has the leg up. AB, total guess, best two, Mitchell and Cottrell? And a DL, probably Anree, but Kyle has the leg up here. iMHO, any more will be due to injuries or unforeseen losses.

mqpayne

Jolly Good Fellow
Great question of course. The class has stars at every position, but no indisputable "can't keep him off the field" guys. So the analysis is really what position has unproven or questionable depth.

QB is set for 2015. OL is looking decent, and is tough to make an impact for a freshman, even a great one. The secondary is a strength.

The rest of the positions have opportunities in the two deep. WR seems to be one of the easier positions for a freshman to impact. Philpott? We aren't deep at ABack, and we typically like a deep rotation there. I expect one, maybe two to break into the lineup. IIRC, we are two deep at BBack. If we stay healthy, we might redshirt everybody there.

DL depends a lot on Days' grades. DL is a bad spot to have to put an 18 y/o, but we might have to play someone.

Last is LB. The players we have will be a year stronger and smarter. I don't think we rotate LB excessively, so I think we will be careful about burning a redshirt here, is my humble opinion.

tl;dr. WR, probably Philpott and Stewart, but Howell has the leg up. AB, total guess, best two, Mitchell and Cottrell? And a DL, probably Anree, but Kyle has the leg up here. iMHO, any more will be due to injuries or unforeseen losses.
Eric do you have updates on Fr and Rs from last year.

cuttysark

Ramblin' Wreck
My preference is in alignment with CPJ in that hopefully the entire 2015 class can be redshirted. I say this from the standpoint that there are a ton of very talented players ahead of these kids who are going to be darn good football players. For example, when CPJ was going to take the redshirt off of CJ Leggett last year when Zach went down with an injury, that was because of the ability he was showing as a true frosh.

However, the variable that cannot be quantified with any degree of accuracy is: how much did the CJ Leggett playing as a true freshman option push Synjyn into the beast he became at B-Back? As well as Zach?

Isn't it exciting to think that all of these players in this 2015 class might be able to do that very same thing and not have to sacrifice their true freshman season by burning the shirt for a smattering of plays here and there?

The best example of this phenomenon was when John Wooden was coaching the UCLA basketball team when they won yet another NCAA Championship with players like Steve Patterson; Sidney Wicks; Curtis Rowe etc. While freshman were not eligible to play varsity at that time, the UCLA freshman basketball junior varsity team led by Bill Walton beat them (NCAA Champions) everyday when they scrimmaged. Think about that.

So just imagine if that same type of atmosphere can be duplicated here on the Flats. That being said, it's very likely that a few of the RB's can be expected to make the two-deep roster based on the amount of players who graduated this past season.

An exciting time on the Flats.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Just my thoughts:

Marcus Marshall to spell Leggett when he is tired.
Brad Stewart as a possession receiver to take some of what Smelter did.
Vic Alexander to set the tone on special teams and maybe in regular LB rotation.
Nathan Cottrell to add speed and be a defacto slot receiver.
Kyle Hederson to add depth on DL if Hunt Days and Kallon don't work out.
AJ Gray at safety because Golden is the only proven player we have there right now.

Those are my leading candidates.

Go Jackets!

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Just a wag. Vic, M. Marshall, MLD, Cotrell, AJ Gray, Philpott.

I think special teams needs and needed depth at Aback and WR will affect shirts pulled.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
Very likely 2 WRs will play.
AnreeSA may be too good to keep off the field. He is on another level like JAtt
Atleast 2 abacks-Cottrell,then Marshall maybe even though he will begin at bback (depends if QW can play).
At least 2 bbacks-I think Marshall gets behind Leggett, then Lands-d
If JHD is back,maybe no DTs
VA at LB brings too much to not play both STs then regular.
I would LUV to see Gray play at S.
I think at least 5 will start as R-Fr in '17.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I think Anree will get in at SDE where we do need help at.

IF JHD takes care of business, I think they slide Gamble out to SDE...played great there last season. Freeman - JHD - Gotsis - Gamble front could be really good. Heck, JHD would give us the flexibility to push Gotsis to SDE on some plays.

The key to all of it is JHD. Our DL is looking a LOT better if he's able to return.

Sarrick

Ramblin' Wreck
AJ Gray
Nathan Cottrell + 1 more AB (the best blocker of the rest)
1 or maybe 2 of the Bbacks (to me Quaide and Marcus would be the options)
Kyle Cerge-Henderson

Vic will be RS cause PJ Davis to me
Anree will play if something happens to JHD or Whitehead

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
IF JHD takes care of business, I think they slide Gamble out to SDE...played great there last season. Freeman - JHD - Gotsis - Gamble front could be really good. Heck, JHD would give us the flexibility to push Gotsis to SDE on some plays.

The key to all of it is JHD. Our DL is looking a LOT better if he's able to return.

Even if they move Gamble he really hasn't shown an ability to pass so I expect Anree to come in on obvious passing downs

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Not counting special teams..

Most likely
Nathan Cottrell - A Back - Fast/but controls speed to allow for blocks, protects the ball, and can cut
Marcus Marshall - B Back or A Back - Is big enough and has some great skills
Quaide Weimerskirch - B Back - Coming in early will really help but could be a battle with MLD or M Marshall.
Harland Howell - WR Coming in early will really help
Kyle Cerge-Henderson - DT GT needs some rotation here! and coming in early helps

Could
Anree Saint-Amour - SDE Could use some help here. He could use a year putting on weight for SDE. If he shows out in the summer, I could see him make the field.
Vic Alexander - LB - His body is already ready, but do we have a spot in the 2 deep. If GT played 3 LB more then I think he would move up a notch.

Unlikely but Possible
These guys could play, but I see lower level needs except for a possible safety spot. CB should be covered with DJ White, Chris Milton, Austin, and Durham. These guys have some skills that it makes it hard for me to count them out for 2015.
Dorian Walker - CB
Meiko Dotson - CB
Dante Wigley - CB
AJ Gray - S
David Curry - LB/s

Very well thought out list. Tend to agree except hate to see all 3 CBs stay in the same class. Depth tells me one more WR needs to play if Searcy is now an AB.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
@ballin.......they movin Gamble to QB? ;p

I kid....and agree. Gamble was able to set the edge but expecting much pass rush from him at SDE isn't very practical. I agree Anree has good shot at playing on passing downs. Another player intriguing to me is Antonio Simmons. He had crazy sack and TFL numbers in high school but was a big time light weight for DE or even OLB. Eric said he's up to 235 now however. A breakout could be in the works for him this season or next. We need someone who can rush around end and set an edge out there no doubt. Merriweather maybe?

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
will bryan will play. i hope we can shirt a bunch of players in this class, we burned quite a few this past year.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
will bryan will play. i hope we can shirt a bunch of players in this class, we burned quite a few this past year.

In part we were trying to get the numbers back in order.

The 2013 class only had 14 signees...and we have lost 6 of them. Which put us at 8 for that class.

So playing more true Fr from the 2014 class will hopefully help even out numbers for future classes.

Which is also another reason I expect to see us play a good bit of Fr this year.