What FR get on the field?

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Which true Freshmen do you expect to see playing this Fall?

Christian Campbell - QB
Kirvonte Benson - A Back
Omahri Jarrett - A Back
Nathan Cottrell - A Back
TaQuon Marshall - A Back
Marcus Marshall - B Back
Quaide Weimerskirch - B Back
Mikell Lands-Davis - B Back
Christian Philpott - WR
Harland Howell - WR
Brad Stewart - WR
Will Bryan - OL
Brad Morgan - OL

Trent Sellers - DE
Anree Saint-Amour - DE
Brentavious Glanton - DT
Kyle Cerge-Henderson - DT
Scott Morgan - DT
Vic Alexander - LB
Tyler Cooksey - LB
Brant Mitchell - LB
Dorian Walker - CB
Meiko Dotson - CB
Dante Wigley - CB
AJ Gray - S
David Curry - LB/s

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Iirc, 8 of last year's 20 played. 1 of the 27 just signed will not start eligibility until next year. So, with a 17/class rule of thumb, I think we should expect 5 (17-last year's 12) to 9 (this year's 26-17) to play.

Quaide, Marcus, Nate, Kirvonte
AJ, Kyle, Vic, Brant

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Cottrell + one other A-back
Weimerskirch/Marcus/Lands-Davis (whichever is most ready)
Gray
Alexander

Cottrell is seriously fast. 4.33 is no joke...pretty sure he'll be the fastest player on the team. It'll be interesting to see how it looks with pads on. Direct line speed is great, but taking the correct angles and making cuts is key.

Although we're probably all going to be wrong, lol. Maybe I'll reevaluate after the Spring game.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Iirc, 8 of last year's 20 played. 1 of the 27 just signed will not start eligibility until next year. So, with a 17/class rule of thumb, I think we should expect 5 (17-last year's 12) to 9 (this year's 26-17) to play.

Quaide, Marcus, Nate, Kirvonte
AJ, Kyle, Vic, Brant

Like your choices but based on returning competition I would drop a LB and add a WR. If Brant keeps growing he might move to SDE depending where St Amour plays?

inGTwetrust

Ramblin' Wreck
Kirvonte - a back
m Marshall - a/b back
quaide - b back
anree - DE
kch - dt
vic- lb
aj - s
Stewart/philpott - wr

Last edited:

slugboy

Staff member
You including special teams play, or just offense and defense? Would you burn a redshirt to put Curry on kickoff and coverage teams?

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
Nathan Cottrell - A Back
Marcus Marshall - A/B Back
Christian Philpott - WR
Brad Stewart - WR (I'm betting he plays some ST)
Will Bryan - OL (If no major injuries/losses on OL, then I bet we RS Will, though)

Anree Saint-Amour - DE
Vic Alexander - LB (I'm betting we see him on ST)
Dorian Walker - CB (I'm betting we see him on ST)
Dante Wigley - CB
AJ Gray - S (And ST)

*Although when I realize I guessed 11 freshmen would play, it seems like a lot. We'll see.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
You including special teams play, or just offense and defense? Would you burn a redshirt to put Curry on kickoff and coverage teams?

Anyone that plays burns the shirt, so every position...Shaun Kagawa and Terrell Lewis were two examples of ST last year.

Old School

Jolly Good Fellow
The film on all of these guys is pretty darn good, so it's hard to choose. I sure did like how Vic Alexander played. I could see him getting some time. Saint-Amour also. The nice thing is, as talented as the group is as a whole, they will push the returning starters pretty hard. The competition for starting spots will be tough! Heck of a job by the coaching staff here.

GT Chillin' It

Jolly Good Fellow
With so many DBs returning I have a hard time seeing the freshmen break the 2 deep there. Same goes for the OL. Not including special teams appearances this is what I think.
2 ABs - Cottrell, Benson
1 BB - Leaning to Quaide, but M Marshall might push hard I'm thinking
1 WR - Howell
1 DE - Anree (I really wish we could RS this guy though)
2 LB - Vic for sure and maybe Brant. I'm leaning more to just 1 here though. I'm hoping Harrell gets back to form and either Beau or Tre (or both) really step it up this year.

I'm really hoping we can redshirt a lot of lineman. The extra year pays huge dividends for them it usually seems. If Jabari is back and we stay healthy I really don't see a need to play any of the freshman DTs. Great class though. I'm really happy with how it turned out.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Kirvonte Benson - A Back
Christian Philpott - WR
Harland Howell - WR

Anree Saint-Amour - DE
Vic Alexander - LB
David Curry - LB/s

Techster

Helluva Engineer
The obvious candidates are guys at the AB/BB spots based on numbers (or lack thereof) for the position.

I think Marcus Marshall definitely plays. Just too skilled, and given our lack of depth, to keep on the sidelines.

I think AJ plays. He'll be a key reserve. He's physically ready, and I think he's got the mentality to play as a freshman.

If VICious can acclimate to the playbook quickly, he's sure to play. We just don't have that kind of speed and athleticism at the LB spot right now.

I think Philpott or Howell have a good chance because of their size and lack of quality depth at WR.

I want to say Anree plays, but we're going to be pretty deep at DE. If he plays next year, he's going to have to beat out some really good guys...which means Anree is going to be a special player sooner than later.

Going to be hard to break in on the OL, QB, and DB just because of depth and the current starters at those positions.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I want to say Anree plays, but we're going to be pretty deep at DE. If he plays next year, he's going to have to beat out some really good guys...which means Anree is going to be a special player sooner than later.
I think Anree will get in at SDE where we do need help at.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
TaQuon Marshall - A Back
Marcus Marshall - B Back (@ A Back for now)
Harland Howell - WR (Doubtful)

Anree Saint-Amour - DE (Need production at SDE)
Vic Alexander - LB (Can't see how this guy will not be on the field even as just a special teamer)
AJ Gray - S (Too much talent)

We have a nice amount of depth across the board
With Summers, Messick, Jeune at WR I can see another player getting some action but it isn't as if we use multiple receiver sets much
Aback is now Lynch, Searcy, Andrews, Snoddy so 2 more additions
Bback is where a FR can come in for immediate impact

DLine particularly DT will still have a 4 deep rotation Gotsis, Gamble, JHD, & Kallon. It all depends on how well Kallon has developed and if JHD will be eligible. Glanton needs to add weight, Henderson has to get in shape, Morgan may actually be the most ready to play.

DE is deep but we need help at the SDE position

I think the secondary is loaded but talent like AJ may be undeniable.

slugboy

Staff member
I'm tempted to say the four early enrollees, especially Henderson in rotation, but there's so much work in Spring and Summer that the coaches' work has only really started. I'm not sure if we have B-Back by committee this year, so it might be hard to break into the B-Back lineup.

Wouldn't Alexander have to take time away from Paul Davis? You've got Harrell at OLB. You've got the Austin kids in the secondary. Maybe it'll be tough to crack the lineup?