What do you consider to be a successful season?

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Well, since no one who has been recruited has signed nor played college football and so far we see no impact of the transfers, except maybe Southers, I can't really see anything here. The current class of freshmen belong to CPJ.

Except Griffin, Deveney, Lockhart, Evans, Burnett, Young and Youndjen, yeah.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
At this stage of the transition and considering where we are now, I will be happy with 2 more wins with Duke being one of them.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

UpperNorth

Jolly Good Fellow
Success for this season:

Play hard regardless of how the season unfolds, stay together, find an offensive identity, hold onto our class and add a couple good DTs.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
And on this season:

It's revealing how many people have suddenly ratcheted down their expectations after our initial results. I thought we would win 6 games and maybe 7. We still could, though present evidence is against it. But I don't think anything less then 6 wins is a good season. "Seeing improvement" isn't success. A top 25 recruiting class - and I doubt we'll have that unless we improve - isn't success. Winning on the field is success. So let's get our minds right and go out there and win some football games.
A question for you and others, since you brought this up.

Do you think it's reasonable to adjust expectations after being down 5 scholarship OL? With 33% of your "ATL" depth chart filled by walk-ons?

Pre-season I was hopeful for 6 wins this year. It was within the realm of possibility. I've since changed my expectations, just as I did in 2015 with the rash of injuries.

There were also question marks about our QBs preseason, none of which have been answered convincingly enough in a positive way to push us to the high end of the win spectrum I had in mind.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer

Do you think it's reasonable to adjust expectations after being down 5 scholarship OL? With 33% of your "ATL" depth chart filled by walk-ons?

Pre-season I was hopeful for 6 wins this year. It was within the realm of possibility. I've since changed my expectations, just as I did in 2015 with the rash of injuries.

There were also question marks about our QBs preseason, none of which have been answered convincingly enough in a positive way to push us to the high end of the win spectrum I had in mind.
The dearth of OLs has certainly not helped, but I don't know if that will continue throughout the season. Hansen dressed out for Citadel, as did Clark. We'll have to see. As to the ATL business: some of that is on the coaches. If they think that how well you do in practice is more important then whether you are a scholarship athlete or have game experience (spoiler alert: it isn't), then they will have to live with the results. But most of our problems have been with injuries, as you say, and lack of game experience with the new O. I hope we can work through that, QB inexperience and all notwithstanding.

Btw, I almost started a new thread here about what I saw this weekend. And that was:

da U almost losing to the Chippawas

UNC getting its head handed to it by App State

UVA depending on some last minute Perkins magic (he is good) to pull it out against ODU

VT pulling it out against Furman

Pitt, BC, and Puke all looked ok, but not unbeatable. If we can get our O under us (play Tobias, run Mason 18 - 25 times, run double options), then we might just reach that 6 game plateau I thought was impossible after the Citadel game. The ACC - besides Clemson and, maybe, Pitt - looks like it is having trouble almost as bad as Tech.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Pb
At this stage of the transition and considering where we are now, I will be happy with 2 more wins with Duke being one of them.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

All we gotta do is beat Duke now. 1-11 is fine and dandy here on out so long as we beat.....Duke.:rolleyes:

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

The OL issue was shaky even before injuries. Certainly a mitigating factor. It’s always a fools folly to write of a season before at least the halfway point. Even after an FCS loss. I think it’s still possible to make a bowl. I don’t expect to. The coastal is bad enough that this is still a legitimate goal and should be one the team still has. And if we do the staff deserves props and we will have cause for optimism moving forward.