What do you consider to be a successful season?

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Right now a top 25 recruiting class is possible and would be a success. I don't see a bowl game the way we have played so far. Four wins might be a stretch at this point. I still hope for dramatic improvement but the OC needs to improve. Our QB play calling and rotation has not been good. We did not take advantage of our possessions against a ball control team and paid the price.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Top 25 recruiting class. Bring in 5 more transfers that can play next year. 2 on OL and a QB.
Not much that happens on Saturday’s matters. But 4 wins would be gravy since I laid money on +3.5
On transfers:

Looking at the players who came to Tech, there is one thing that stands out: they had good high school records and had a hard time fining the field at their initial choice. Indeed, all were reserves or thought they would be beaten out. Given the vagaries of recruit ratings - Tech has had multiple 4 and 5 star recruits who simply didn't work out - I'm not sure how much of an addition these young men will be. It could be that they were buried because of coaching changes or because they got on their position coach's bad side. It could be that they weren't as good as everyone thought. We won't know until we see them play and develop.

I think their future is largely up to them. They wouldn't have attracted the notice they did in high school if they didn't have talent. Let's hope the coaches can find a way to help them develop.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
And on this season:

It's revealing how many people have suddenly ratcheted down their expectations after our initial results. I thought we would win 6 games and maybe 7. We still could, though present evidence is against it. But I don't think anything less then 6 wins is a good season. "Seeing improvement" isn't success. A top 25 recruiting class - and I doubt we'll have that unless we improve - isn't success. Winning on the field is success. So let's get our minds right and go out there and win some football games.

TheTimes

Jolly Good Fellow
What if we are top 25 recruiting the next 4 years but around .500 winning and lose to Duke more than we beat them. Still trust that process?
Yes. Even if the on field results are bad, if we are rcruiting high level players I'll be able to stomach the losing. I'm a believer that eventually great players will put it together even if the coaching is sub-par. And if the team is still unsuccessful, at least the next coach will have talent to work with.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Oh I almost forgot the “our three stars are better than your three stars” argument!

Happens to be true, and we don't just have more guys than everyone else has, anymore. If you can't see the talent level is going up, significantly, between transfers and recruits, then I dunno what to tell ya .

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
What if we are top 25 recruiting the next 4 years but around .500 winning and lose to Duke more than we beat them. Still trust that process?

In debating, I think that’s called an appeal to ridicule. We’ll have to see what the process looks like over the next four years before we can answer that question.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
In debating, I think that’s called an appeal to ridicule. We’ll have to see what the process looks like over the next four years before we can answer that question.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Really? Those results I hypothesized are pretty specific. I’ll add losing to uga every year also if that helps. Still don’t know until you see the “process” with those results? Hmmm

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Yes. Even if the on field results are bad, if we are rcruiting high level players I'll be able to stomach the losing. I'm a believer that eventually great players will put it together even if the coaching is sub-par. And if the team is still unsuccessful, at least the next coach will have talent to work with.
Just like Tennessee huh? Yeah I would love that...

Happens to be true, and we don't just have more guys than everyone else has, anymore. If you can't see the talent level is going up, significantly, between transfers and recruits, then I dunno what to tell ya .
Well, since no one who has been recruited has signed nor played college football and so far we see no impact of the transfers, except maybe Southers, I can't really see anything here. The current class of freshmen belong to CPJ.