What’s Key’s biggest asset as a HC to this point?

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I remember vividly him talking about the mindset change he was pushing when he took over as IHC where he wanted to eradicate the "waiting for something bad to happen" vibe in the program during games.

I think his GREATEST asset is his ability to quickly understand the problem set, then move decisively to address the core issue without allowing the distractions which popup everywhere to consume his, the staff's or the player's time. He epitomizes the idea of preventing great being the enemy of good.

You couple that with his willingness to abstract ego from his review of his own performance (and the entire organization's) in a thoughtful, methodical approach and you start seeing the foundation for good, honest, open self-assessment top to bottom that enables real growth and development.

On a personal note, his love of the Institute and experience having bled on HGF allows him to relate to the players in an authentic way. Amazingly his 180 degree difference in being a player's coach from the previous regime has in my mind led him to a better relationship with the players and enabled them to be better versions of themselves.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I remember vividly him talking about the mindset change he was pushing when he took over as IHC where he wanted to eradicate the "waiting for something bad to happen" vibe in the program during games.

I think his GREATEST asset is his ability to quickly understand the problem set, then move decisively to address the core issue without allowing the distractions which popup everywhere to consume his, the staff's or the player's time. He epitomizes the idea of preventing great being the enemy of good.

You couple that with his willingness to abstract ego from his review of his own performance (and the entire organization's) in a thoughtful, methodical approach and you start seeing the foundation for good, honest, open self-assessment top to bottom that enables real growth and development.

On a personal note, his love of the Institute and experience having bled on HGF allows him to relate to the players in an authentic way. Amazingly his 180 degree difference in being a player's coach from the previous regime has in my mind led him to a better relationship with the players and enabled them to be better versions of themselves.
This.

And, he seems to genuinely care about the players as individuals. Their respect and open affection for each other is infectious and appealing.

Go Jackets is not something he mouths to make people think he cares. He really does.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
After one full season and having the opportunity to meet him twice so far, for me I like his approach in general, no BS, look you in the eye and tell it to you straight. To me he is the anti-spin doctor which rings real with me. Seems like the players love playing for him (for the most part) and it's obvious he loves GT and is dedicated to bring us back. As far as game day coaching, any shortcomings will come with experience.
I agree here. He has a lot of good traits but this one may be his best and it’s in short supply these days.
No BS.
Full accountability and ownership.
I think he expects the same from players and staff and he is able to get it because he holds himself to the same standard.

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
This.

And, he seems to genuinely care about the players as individuals. Their respect and open affection for each other is infectious and appealing.

Go Jackets is not something he mouths to make people think he cares. He really does.
Yep. And he says "Go Jackets" not as a rallying cry, or a cheer - but with conviction and resolve. As if he's dead certain great things are ahead, and don't try and argue with me.

A damn fine way to end every press conversation, if you ask me.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
In addition to all that has been said so far, I am particularly impressed with his sideline demeanor. He will get in a coaches grill when needed, he celebrates with the players, he seems totally engaged. But in so many sideline shots on tv, he is calm, focused, and really seems to be processing all that is going on to help him make good decisions. Late in games where the outcome is still in doubt, he appears cool and in control. I think this translates well to players and coaches and gives them the confidence to do their jobs.

Now when the game is over and the Jackets win, he is all about celebrating and giving credit to others.
I was trying to read this entire thread today (and eventually succeeded), had also been reading the Men's basketball thread, was listening to the Women's basketball game against UVA, and was trying to renew my GT Baseball season tickets and encountering errors that would not let me do so.

So I really didn't know where I was when I came back to this post, and initially thought that it was about Coach Damon Stoudamire when I read it. But then I read the next post mentioning Key and realized I was in the football forum. Maybe it's just me, but I think the bolded can be said about both Coach Brent Key and Coach Damon Stoudamire.

I don't watch a lot of games living in Ohio, but I do watch the highlights. I did get to see us play UCF in the bowl game and against Hawaii and Nevada when I was in NC visiting family over Christmas. And both coaches seemed to exhibit what I have bolded from @5277hike's post. Will it last? Who knows? But I am excited about the direction of both programs.

Also, nice win against UVA by the Women's basketball team!

Now if I can just figure out how to renew my Baseball season tickets...

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
It's pretty lucky to have the other team not run the clock out and take the sure win when they are in that position.
What is your agenda here? If you just keep repeating the same thing over and over it gets kind of boring.

Please list what you think Key’s greatest assets are as a coach. We all get it that you think he is lucky but what else? Go ahead and put luck at the top of your list but please mention 3 or 4 other things in order of importance.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Key is the whole package as a coach. He is confident in his process but not cocky. He communicates clearly and without spin. He cares about his players. He has a vision for the program. He is decisive with his decision making but fair. His is genuinely humble in the best sense, always willing to learn, constantly trying to be better. He is likable as a human being.

If I had to compare his overall style to another Tech coach it might be Bobby Ross.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
What is your agenda here? If you just keep repeating the same thing over and over it gets kind of boring.

Please list what you think Key’s greatest assets are as a coach. We all get it that you think he is lucky but what else? Go ahead and put luck at the top of your list but please mention 3 or 4 other things in order of importance.
No real agenda. I just don't think Key walks on water like others here do. In reality he is probably an average coach at best who is really lucky to have gotten a job at this level. As for his assets, other than luck, probably his ability to instill toughness, the guys do respond pretty well to adversity, and his ability to find QBs in the transfer portal. While the previous guy hitched himself to a sinking ship at QB, Key managed to hit the jackpot immediately with King. I won't call that part luck. Good on him for seeing something others weren't seeing.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
No real agenda. I just don't think Key walks on water like others here do. In reality he is probably an average coach at best who is really lucky to have gotten a job at this level. As for his assets, other than luck, probably his ability to instill toughness, the guys do respond pretty well to adversity, and his ability to find QBs in the transfer portal. While the previous guy hitched himself to a sinking ship at QB, Key managed to hit the jackpot immediately with King. I won't call that part luck. Good on him for seeing something others weren't seeing.
“Average coach at best who’s luck to have gotten a job a this level.”

That’s a really unique view. And I don’t think anyone has to think Key walks on water to see your view as something of an outlier among Tech fans.

Thanks for sharing.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
“Average coach at best who’s luck to have gotten a job a this level.”

That’s a really unique view. And I don’t think anyone has to think Key walks on water to see your view as something of an outlier among Tech fans.

Thanks for sharing. More binary thinking to disparage a guy who has performed well.

Yep. More binary thinking to disparage a coach who has performed well. The whole luck thing with Miami is curious. I don’t get it but to each his own.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer

Key also won 4 games without king including over a ranked opponent with a revolving door at QB.

Techfiend

Georgia Tech Fan
Yep. More binary thinking to disparage a coach who has performed well. The whole luck thing with Miami is curious. I don’t get it but to each his own.

Agree with Stinger78 here. It's not luck when an opposing coach makes a bad decision. It's not luck when a player FORCES a fumble. It MAY be luck where that fumble bounces afterwards. It's not luck to drive 75 yards in 26 seconds, taking advantage of the other team's coverage mistakes.

Beyond that, teams make their own "luck" by working hard and being in the right place at the right time to take advantage of the opportunities that present themselves.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
This should not be a controversial statement but it will be. Board is waaaay too sensitive about this stuff.
Truth! WE did get lucky to have the opportunity to win the game! That is not in dispute. At least 128 of 130 FBS coaches would have taken the knee to end that game!

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
This should not be a controversial statement but it will be. Board is waaaay too sensitive about this stuff.
I don’t think the idea that we got lucky at that point in that game is the point of contention; I’m pretty sure the controversial part is extrapolating from that one data point to conclude that the biggest comparative advantage Brent Key has over other head coaches is luck. And my counter argument to that assertion would be that every team has miscues and mistakes, but it’s a lot harder to notice your opponents making mistakes if your team isn’t playing well enough to take advantage of them. I recall that in Collins’ last game against Miami, the Canes were making mistakes left and right, but we were so uncoordinated that we still ended up shooting our selves in the foot enough to lose the game in spite of Miami’s poor performance.

slugboy

Staff member
Maybe somewhat.

I think the implication that he’s a weak coach because he got a lucky opportunity with 30 seconds left to get his defense to strip the ball, then have his offense go most of the length of the field to score a touchdown to win, and he took advantage of it, is kind of a weird take.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
At UCF Worked on his own as a head coach w mixed results. That left deep impression and hunger to get a second chance.
At Alabama, he saw how the best HC runs a program. He saw what the fundamentals of what a winning program looks like..

At Gt he found out that worked for a used car sales man who could not stay focused on funamentals.

He realized he love Gt foot ball so much he would stick it out and hope for his loyalty to be rewarded

1. Seasoned in battle,
2 trained under a legend,
3. worked for an undisciplined HC
4. Gt went deep in his viens.

Best trait
Key knows who is giving good / bad advice and Key is willing to take that good advice and cut loose the bad.