What’s Key’s biggest asset as a HC to this point?

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
His unabashed, pure love and passion for Georgia Tech. I know a lot of my fellow board members think that being a former Georgia Tech player is a liability to being our head coach and not an asset, but I firmly believe that Tech is such a unique experience and has such a great football history that a Tech man, who knows that and embraces that, brings so much added value to the Head Coaching position at Tech.

Go Jackets!
^^^^^^

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I'm torn as to Key's biggest asset, but the thing is I'm hard pressed to find a downside.
He checks all the important boxes (problem-solving, work ethic, discipline, honesty, school association and affinity, smarts, drive), and he's pulling Tech up by its bootstraps.
All systems are go, and I don't see a ceiling.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
This literally makes no sense. Luck comes and goes for all teams of all effort levels. We have had an uptick in luck recently. Lets enjoy it while it lasts.
As an example to me, last year FSU turning the ball over by NOT taking a knee was lucky for us. Meaning if they execute the direct snap kneel that everyone expected it's curtains. That said, they didn't and we punched out the ball to recover with clock left. If we don't have the TALENT and PREPARATION to make the turnover happen, then capitalize by marching down and scoring points, the luck wouldn't have held.

So sure, we didn't do anything to brag about by them making a poor choice and going for it, but we didn't win solely by it. This is one of the strengths CBK has, the team believed they weren't out of it because he is changing the fortitude and culture of the program to play through the last echo of the whistle.

Agree with you that you can't do anything to MAKE the ball bounce your way, so when it does you gotta enjoy it as a fan. That said, if we all want to continue the debate on how we define luck / opportunity we should probably spin up a new thread to do so.

Last edited:

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
As an example to me, last year FSU turning the ball over by NOT taking a knee was lucky for us. Meaning if they execute the direct snap kneel that everyone expected it's curtains. That said, they didn't and we punched out the ball to recover with clock left. If we don't have the TALENT and PREPARATION to make the turnover happen, then capitalize by marching down and scoring points, the luck wouldn't have held.

So sure, we didn't do anything to brag about by them making a poor choice and going for it, but we didn't win solely by it. This is one of the strengths CBK has, the team believed they weren't out of it because he is changing the fortitude and culture of the program to play through the last echo of the whistle.

Agree with you that you can't do anything to MAKE the ball bounce your way, so when it does you gotta enjoy it as a fan. That said, if we all want to continue the debate on how we define luck / opportunity we should probably spin up a new thread to do so.
FSU = Freudian Slip Up

Lil G

Ramblin' Wreck
Maybe already mentioned, but the harder you work, the luckier you will become.
I’m impressed by Key’s work ethic, a culture that permeates the whole team.
This 1000%. After having 6-7 bosses that I pleased, I found a wildly meticulous and hard nosed one that taught me lessons about hard work I didn’t know existed.

She was far away at toxic levels of workaholic, degrading her health by literally never taking break (weekends included), taking insane levels of amphetamines, and being EXTREMELY unpleasant in the office at times. But her attention to detail, ability to put out fires before they happened and extreme planning for anything and everything was like nothing I had seen before and I had to take on many parts of that to make it work.

The job aged me a good bit, but I truly came out a new man. At the end of the day, rough around the edges or not, she was passionate and I bet Key is equally there- turning these sheep into rams.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Yes, Miami * I’ve apparently turned the page on the season and am fully focused on kicking off next season with the Hurricanes 🫣 (see what I did there?)

My bad.