What’s Key’s biggest asset as a HC to this point?

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
So far, to me, his biggest assets are that he seems to have a strong concept of how he wants his organization to work together and individually and what is important vs what is NOT important. I think this is extending into every aspect of the program in terms of the kinds of people he wants as coaches, staff members, and athletes. The fact that he seems to be very well organized and methodical in his approach to things, which is a very GT mindset IMHO, shows up everywhere. He knows what qualities he is looking for in coaches. He knows what qualities he's looking for in players.

Off the field I think the fact that he is a GT alum himself helps him understand the psyche of our students and our alumni and makes him a very effective communicator. I'm not saying you can only succeed here if you're a GT guy. I'm just saying he's using that aspect of himself perfectly.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Disagree, because I can't identify which games we won via the coin toss. But even if you're right, "I'd rather be lucky than good." :)
That basically argues that luck doesn't exist in football. Can't say that I agree with that. You are right though. Nothing wrong with being lucky.

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
The biggest thing I've been impressed with from Key is his willingness to acknowledge failures/shortcomings and address them. He's been decisive in making changes when something isn't working. Whether that's changing the depth chart, staff changes, strategies. He's willing to learn and adapt and try new things if something isn't working. Humble enough to recognize when he's made a mistake. That's a very admirable quality in a leader.
I'm glad you mentioned this cause I think it is one thing that is understated about him. He is a true student of the game. He seems to analyze every aspect of the program constantly and when something isn't working he is works to find a solution to fix it. He also humble enough that he doesn't just assume he knows how to fix the issue but actually researches ways to address any challenges by looking at successful programs not only within college football but at other organizations as well. He also seems to have an open communication with his assistants and actually takes in feedback. As a result I think his abilities as a HC will only get better with more experience.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I'd say his #1 asset currently is Buster Faulkner. Excellent hire and we all saw the fruits of that. Key knew something and made a good hire.

Beyond that I'd say his ability to get players bought in is his next best asset. They could've folded after that awful BG loss but bounced back and beat Miami. Similarly after BC.

Agree on all counts. Faulkner was an exceptional hire that paid immediate dividends.

Getting 'buy in' has also been ... key.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Without luck we go 5-7 this year and miss a bowl game. Without luck he likely loses 2-3 more games last year. Not saying it's his only positive asset but it has probably been his biggest asset to this point.
So you think it’s lucky that we had the #1 rushing offense, #3 total offense, and #4 scoring offense in the ACC? A QB with over 3,500 total yards and 37 TDs? The #43 scoring offense across all of FBS after 4 years with a high of 96th and 2 seasons above 120 was all luck? Our highest ranked recruiting class in 4 years, and well above our 10 year average is just dumb luck? Was our defense great or even good last year? No it wasn’t. And most of the defensive staff is about to turn over under CBK. If we have a defensive turnaround the same way we did on offense this last year is that going to be luck too?

You can say we shoulda, coulda, woulda lost the Miami game. You can also say the same thing about Bowling Green, or Boston College, or Louisville, or hell even UGA going the opposite direction.

Was this season a great season for GT football? No it was bang on average. 7 wins, winning record in the ACC. But it was absolutely a giant leap in the right direction. Sure some luck was involved, but there was also some bad luck. AND luck is involved for every team. Alabama only beat Auburn on a ridiculously lucky 4th and 31 play. Is Saban’s best attribute luck? Or did he have his players ready to make a play and win a ballgame even while facing the most dire of circumstances? Do you think a Geoff Collins lead team is going to force a fumble when the other team is just trying to run clock and end the game, and then drive the length of field with no timeouts and score a touchdown in the last 40 seconds of a game?? It would never happen.

That team plays hard under Key from the first whistle to the last one: win, lose, or draw. Coach Key’s greatest asset as a coach is that he’s a great leader of men, especially TECH men.

Happy Gilmore Win GIF

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
So you think it’s lucky that we had the #1 rushing offense, #3 total offense, and #4 scoring offense in the ACC? A QB with over 3,500 total yards and 37 TDs? The #43 scoring offense across all of FBS after 4 years with a high of 96th and 2 seasons above 120 was all luck? Our highest ranked recruiting class in 4 years, and well above our 10 year average is just dumb luck? Was our defense great or even good last year? No it wasn’t. And most of the defensive staff is about to turn over under CBK. If we have a defensive turnaround the same way we did on offense this last year is that going to be luck too?

You can say we shoulda, coulda, woulda lost the Miami game. You can also say the same thing about Bowling Green, or Boston College, or Louisville, or hell even UGA going the opposite direction.

Was this season a great season for GT football? No it was bang on average. 7 wins, winning record in the ACC. But it was absolutely a giant leap in the right direction. Sure some luck was involved, but there was also some bad luck. AND luck is involved for every team. Alabama only beat Auburn on a ridiculously lucky 4th and 31 play. Is Saban’s best attribute luck? Or did he have his players ready to make a play and win a ballgame even while facing the most dire of circumstances? Do you think a Geoff Collins lead team is going to force a fumble when the other team is just trying to run clock and end the game, and then drive the length of field with no timeouts and score a touchdown in the last 40 seconds of a game?? It would never happen.

That team plays hard under Key from the first whistle to the last one: win, lose, or draw. Coach Key’s greatest asset as a coach is that he’s a great leader of men, especially TECH men.

Happy Gilmore Win GIF
There really is no argument that we didn't get lucky in the Miami game. It's pretty ridiculous to argue otherwise. That decision that had nothing to do with Key or our program at all enabled two more wins on our record. Last year we beat UNC because a future NFL wide receiver that only drops 3.2% of passes in the big leagues couldn't catch a wide open TD to win it. If he catches that pass, Key likely never even becomes the HC at GT. We also beat VT by one point after they miss a short FG, fumble in the red zone and throw an INT to end the game. Fortune has certainly been on Key's side. Let's hope it stays that way.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
There really is no argument that we didn't get lucky in the Miami game. It's pretty ridiculous to argue otherwise. That decision that had nothing to do with Key or our program at all enabled two more wins on our record. Last year we beat UNC because a future NFL wide receiver that only drops 3.2% of passes in the big leagues couldn't catch a wide open TD to win it. If he catches that pass, Key likely never even becomes the HC at GT. We also beat VT by one point after they miss a short FG, fumble in the red zone and throw an INT to end the game. Fortune has certainly been on Key's side. Let's hope it stays that way.
What?! We got lucky Mario pooped his pants, but it was preparation and opportunity that turned it into a W. They practiced scramble routes and Leary executed and King hit him in the numbers.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
It's not really lucky to get the ball down 3 at your own 25 with 26 seconds left and no timeouts unless you actually score before time runs out. Preparation meets opportunity.
It's pretty lucky to have the other team not run the clock out and take the sure win when they are in that position.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Lol. No stopping willful ignorance I suppose. Enjoy the ride!

gtbb

Georgia Tech Fan
Key's no nonsense approach to the overall program is his best asset. It's exactly what we needed on the heels of the former guy. In terms of assistants, Buster Faulkner has been a home run hire, so far.

Keep in mind that next year is "Year Two". That's very often - not always, but often - a big year in getting the program to step up. Year one, you're still sifting through the roster to get buy-in. Next year, they should have full buy-in across the roster to get that 2nd year bump. I don't include the last 8 games of 2022 as part of "Year one". That was interim stuff.