What’s Key’s biggest asset as a HC to this point?

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
I was just curious to see what the personal opinions are of the GTSWARM posters on this board in regards to HC Brent Key’s biggest positive coaching traits are at this point in his GT HC career.

In my opinion and in no specific order: personal experience of having played here as a college football player, seeing personal value in a GT degree beyond football, his ability to create/sell/build/produce a product on the field that aligns with his vision. key has an ability to analyze/evaluate a coach or off the field position and act accordingly. If it means switching things up mid season or if it means termination of an employee that he’s ready to act on it accordingly. He has been given a larger budget to pursue his vision of filling out off the field positions, larger salary pool to hire more qualified staff, and he’s executed and produced results (W’s) on the field instead of “long winded infomercials about “sunshine, rainbows, and how he’s in the midst of the largest rebuild of which the sports industry has never seen before.”
What do you all think?

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
His belief in doing your job as best as possible every day as a player or coach. Holding everyone accountable to do exactly that. It shows in player interviews.. They know what is expected from them. Same for the coaches. If coaches or players are not doing that they will be replaced or benched.

WraleighWreck

Georgia Tech Fan
Student body seems to like Key and the enthusiasm he brings repping his alma mater. Haven’t been to any recent games at BDS but student section seems lively during televised games. Campus support matters.

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Hiring and firing assistants including recruiting personnel. Distilling the need to practice hard and toughness to his players. My biggest concern with him is he is not a tactician/coordinator like a Kiffin or CPJ so needs to have good assistant coaches. Assistant coaches come and go so continuous need to hire good coaches and sooner or later will make a mistake. If you are the coordinator then job is half as hard - only on one side of the ball need to hire good people.

JEMJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
In my very humble and uninformed opinion, the biggest change I noticed the moment he took over was the game planning. It seems like he has a process for studying and planning for each game that puts our players in a position to succeed.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
The biggest thing I've been impressed with from Key is his willingness to acknowledge failures/shortcomings and address them. He's been decisive in making changes when something isn't working. Whether that's changing the depth chart, staff changes, strategies. He's willing to learn and adapt and try new things if something isn't working. Humble enough to recognize when he's made a mistake. That's a very admirable quality in a leader.

5277hike

Jolly Good Fellow
In addition to all that has been said so far, I am particularly impressed with his sideline demeanor. He will get in a coaches grill when needed, he celebrates with the players, he seems totally engaged. But in so many sideline shots on tv, he is calm, focused, and really seems to be processing all that is going on to help him make good decisions. Late in games where the outcome is still in doubt, he appears cool and in control. I think this translates well to players and coaches and gives them the confidence to do their jobs.

Now when the game is over and the Jackets win, he is all about celebrating and giving credit to others.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
He seems to have a good understanding of football organizationally. The new offensive hires all seem to be providing HUGE bang for the buck.

If he can keep finding good assistants he’s worth his weight in gold.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
The biggest thing I've been impressed with from Key is his willingness to acknowledge failures/shortcomings and address them. He's been decisive in making changes when something isn't working. Whether that's changing the depth chart, staff changes, strategies. He's willing to learn and adapt and try new things if something isn't working. Humble enough to recognize when he's made a mistake. That's a very admirable quality in a leader.
This.
Unlike TFG, understands the weaknesses in his team or coaches, and he doesn't let them fester. Addressed kicking game/special teams immediately upon taking over in 2022, hired coaches to fix our offense for 2023, made mid-season coaching changes on defense this year, and is in the process of hiring more defensive staffing. His hires have also targeted coaches with excellent ties for Georgia high school recruiting, which is another area that has needed bolstering for 15 years.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Without luck we go 5-7 this year and miss a bowl game. Without luck he likely loses 2-3 more games last year. Not saying it's his only positive asset but it has probably been his biggest asset to this point.
Disagree, because I can't identify which games we won via the coin toss. But even if you're right, "I'd rather be lucky than good." :)

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Sanders a B? IMO, no more than C. I guess since he started with a flash and he kinda' ended with a thud, it averages out to average.
The article gives Sanders a pass because he was “under a microscope” but neglects to mention that the scrutiny was of his own making. He was only being judged harshly by outsiders because he ran his mouth all year long.

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
I'd say his #1 asset currently is Buster Faulkner. Excellent hire and we all saw the fruits of that. Key knew something and made a good hire.

Beyond that I'd say his ability to get players bought in is his next best asset. They could've folded after that awful BG loss but bounced back and beat Miami. Similarly after BC.