What’s Key’s biggest asset as a HC to this point?

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
I was just curious to see what the personal opinions are of the GTSWARM posters on this board in regards to HC Brent Key’s biggest positive coaching traits are at this point in his GT HC career.

In my opinion and in no specific order: personal experience of having played here as a college football player, seeing personal value in a GT degree beyond football, his ability to create/sell/build/produce a product on the field that aligns with his vision. key has an ability to analyze/evaluate a coach or off the field position and act accordingly. If it means switching things up mid season or if it means termination of an employee that he’s ready to act on it accordingly. He has been given a larger budget to pursue his vision of filling out off the field positions, larger salary pool to hire more qualified staff, and he’s executed and produced results (W’s) on the field instead of “long winded infomercials about “sunshine, rainbows, and how he’s in the midst of the largest rebuild of which the sports industry has never seen before.”
What do you all think?
1a. Personal Work Ethic
1b. Love for Georgia Tech

List those in whichever order you like.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Without luck we go 5-7 this year and miss a bowl game. Without luck he likely loses 2-3 more games last year. Not saying it's his only positive asset but it has probably been his biggest asset to this point.
Every successful team has a certain amount of luck along the way

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I think that Key's best asset is his enthusiasm for his players. There's a reason why the after game shows like him; his heart is right out there for everyone to see. It rubs off and the players know it, hence their reaction at the hiring announcement.

In today';s environment I don't know if that, his hard nose style, his game management, or his success picking assistants will be enough. We'll have to see. We could play as well next year and lose 7. But … I don't think we will.

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
I also believe a very good trait of his is his ability to utilize his network to pull in these very successful former GA HS Coaches to establish pipeline infrastructure into so many of the GA HS just based on these individuals and their coaching network which will enhance our access and overall effectiveness at recruiting high level athletes to play their football on the Flats.
Not to mention Key is probably being very calculated in the type of coaches and players he brings in to preserve and enhance the culture that is being developed here.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
I think his toughness gained having played as an OL in college, his coaching experiences under O'leary and Saban giving him knowledge how to run a successful program, coaching under GC3 emphasizing how NOT to run a program, the high integrity he uses in his daily dealings with players & associates, and the management skills learned as a GT graduate, all give him the tools and confidence to place him in a unique position to be highly successful as a P4 head coach.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
He also is lasered focus on winning. Replaced all but one coach on offensive staff last off season and will replace most of defensive staff this offseason. He clearly has a vision on the type of coaches he wants on his staff and what he thinks he needs to win and compete with UGA

grandpa jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I was just curious to see what the personal opinions are of the GTSWARM posters on this board in regards to HC Brent Key’s biggest positive coaching traits are at this point in his GT HC career.

In my opinion and in no specific order: personal experience of having played here as a college football player, seeing personal value in a GT degree beyond football, his ability to create/sell/build/produce a product on the field that aligns with his vision. key has an ability to analyze/evaluate a coach or off the field position and act accordingly. If it means switching things up mid season or if it means termination of an employee that he’s ready to act on it accordingly. He has been given a larger budget to pursue his vision of filling out off the field positions, larger salary pool to hire more qualified staff, and he’s executed and produced results (W’s) on the field instead of “long winded infomercials about “sunshine, rainbows, and how he’s in the midst of the largest rebuild of which the sports industry has never seen before.”
What do you all think?
Organization and good assistant coach hirings.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
After one full season and having the opportunity to meet him twice so far, for me I like his approach in general, no BS, look you in the eye and tell it to you straight. To me he is the anti-spin doctor which rings real with me. Seems like the players love playing for him (for the most part) and it's obvious he loves GT and is dedicated to bring us back. As far as game day coaching, any shortcomings will come with experience.