Wesley Wells

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
WTF did I do to you ?

I really dont give a damn who kicks but I’ll share my thoughts just as much as you do, you don’t know anymore or less than anyone else ! You damn sure aren’t the only person who has thoughts and your high level competition means absolutely nothing to me unless maybe you are a sports psychologist, which I doubt you are ! The bottom line is your high competition rate hasn’t given you one bit of insight on this issue nor does it tell anyone else why he isn’t kicking. Of course if it does you could just tell us, until then I’ll continue with my thoughts just as I’m sure you will. !

You’re a little wound up buddy. Might want to sit the next few out and come back tomorrow when you’ve cooled off.

You did nothing to me. I’m not offended. You obviously do care who kicks due to how angry you’re getting over (almost everyone) giving you rationale about why a guy who didn’t miss a kick last year wasn’t the guy to start the year this year.

I’ll leave it here though. Not worth continuing the conversation.

Hopefully the PWO can at least kick the ball with some height into the end zone to give our coverage unit a chance.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
If you don’t kick regularly you lose confidence. Wondering if you miss will result in your benching can’t be comfortable.

He should have had the chance to mess up in the games early, as the starter. If he did then you could pull him but he was perfect last year competing against King and didn’t even get the starting job going in, over King this year.

Total coaching flub

He was given that chance and he missed an extra point. Not a field goal - an extra point this team can not afford to lose. What he did last year doesn’t mean squat. If a running back fumbled on almost every play would we say let him continue because he didn’t last year?

I don’t care who kicks because there are ZERO guarantees that someone will make / miss a field goal ( and apparently an XP), but holy crap we have got to find somebody to kick off into the end zone.

This has been (absent Harrison for the most part) for several regimes a problem. There is no excuse for this.

Go to the darn student body. Do we have any intramural soccer teams?

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
You’re a little wound up buddy. Might want to sit the next few out and come back tomorrow when you’ve cooled off.

You did nothing to me. I’m not offended. You obviously do care who kicks due to how angry you’re getting over (almost everyone) giving you rationale about why a guy who didn’t miss a kick last year wasn’t the guy to start the year this year.

I’ll leave it here though. Not worth continuing the conversation.

Hopefully the PWO can at least kick the ball with some height into the end zone to give our coverage unit a chance.

You are either related to him or have an agenda. Have you been to practice? Were you there in the Spring? Fall?

I don’t care who kicks to the point of telling someone they have an agenda or are related to the subject player. I don’t question if people on this board have attended practice or if they were there in the spring or fall, that’s exactly what your response to me was. Why you went on the attack I don’t really know. What your level of past competition has to do with the original question of why did a perfect kicker get benched before the season even began is lost on me.

You seem to take offense to the very legitimate question of what happened. Rather than a respectful answer or simply not responding, you decided to attack. You now follow that up with telling me to cool off and come back later. I have a suggestion, why don’t you leave the board until you can show some respect for others thoughts ? There was no need for your rant toward me. I wasn’t addressing you at all by wondering why Wells got benched. You threw stupid accusations at me and cited your apparent experience and expertise as if you have some secret knowledge only possessed by people who have experienced a high level of competition. That’s what offended me. Not your thoughts on football, who should kick or who should not. It’s a simple concept of manners and showing respect for others, that’s it. We should be able to talk without being attacked and that’s exactly what you did.

Do I need to be related or attend practice to be a fan and/or comment ? Or should I pick a team to support that welcomes various thoughts ? Or maybe you could take your wonderments elsewhere, perhaps to an Ivy League school where your high browned degrading attitude can be a little more justified.

I’ll stay here and ask reasonable questions like how does a perfect kicker get benched ?

Which by the way nobody still seems to know.

Now we can leave it there.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I’ll stay here and ask reasonable questions like how does a perfect kicker get benched ?

It's not that nobody knows. It's that you just refuse to acknowledge the answer. He lost the job because he performed worse and a small sample size of short kicks doesn't change that. When he has had a chance this year he has justified that decision pretty much every time.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
It's not that nobody knows. It's that you just refuse to acknowledge the answer. He lost the job because he performed worse and a small sample size of short kicks doesn't change that. When he has had a chance this year he has justified that decision pretty much every time.

Its as simple as this. CGC doesnt like losing games or wasting scholarships. He didn't make these decisions for no reason and what we have seen from Wells in pregames and his few game kicks has justified the decision. Not sure what more people need to see.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
You threw stupid accusations at me and cited your apparent experience and expertise as if you have some secret knowledge only possessed by people who have experienced a high level of competition. That’s what offended me.

I apologize for throwing accusations at you. I’m sick of people looking for any reason to crap on this staff and assumed you were doing the same. I shouldn’t have done that.

For you to act like my experience doesn’t help me understand how the mind of an athlete competing at a high level better than someone that has never done so is baffling to me. I don’t think my opinion is more important than anyone else’s. I do think there is value to my experience as well as my exposure to many athletes that have competed at a high level.

Am I always right? No, not close to it. Are there things I haven’t seen or experienced? Yes, definitely. But to act like someone with firsthand experience to seeing how the mental side of the game can completely change how a player competes just seems like you don’t want another point of view. That’s fine. You don't have to believe it.

And it’s not “secret knowledge,” but when you’ve seen it happen to someone with MLB stuff not be able to play catch, the idea of a walk on college kicker losing it isn’t that surprising to you. It’s a lot different when there are expectations on you versus the opposite. Why do you think most GT fans “like” being the underdog? It’s easier that way. Wells had pressure with the scholly and the perfect record last year. New coach on top of it. Not surprising if he put too much pressure on himself and lost it. That doesn’t mean he can’t get it back. And from what I saw today, it looks like he’s headed in that direction. His miss was well struck and not a bad push.

For his sake and ours, I hope he’s back to normal sooner than later.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck

Show me where someone answered. I’ve seen speculation, not answers but opinions.

Today was his FIRST FG attempt of the ENTIRE YEAR ! 9 games ! One attempt !

I’m not asking why he can’t handle KOs that answer is clear.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
I apologize for throwing accusations at you. I’m sick of people looking for any reason to crap on this staff and assumed you were doing the same. I shouldn’t have done that.

For you to act like my experience doesn’t help me understand how the mind of an athlete competing at a high level better than someone that has never done so is baffling to me. I don’t think my opinion is more important than anyone else’s. I do think there is value to my experience as well as my exposure to many athletes that have competed at a high level.

Am I always right? No, not close to it. Are there things I haven’t seen or experienced? Yes, definitely. But to act like someone with firsthand experience to seeing how the mental side of the game can completely change how a player competes just seems like you don’t want another point of view. That’s fine. You don't have to believe it.

And it’s not “secret knowledge,” but when you’ve seen it happen to someone with MLB stuff not be able to play catch, the idea of a walk on college kicker losing it isn’t that surprising to you. It’s a lot different when there are expectations on you versus the opposite. Why do you think most GT fans “like” being the underdog? It’s easier that way. Wells had pressure with the scholly and the perfect record last year. New coach on top of it. Not surprising if he put too much pressure on himself and lost it. That doesn’t mean he can’t get it back. And from what I saw today, it looks like he’s headed in that direction. His miss was well struck and not a bad push.

For his sake and ours, I hope he’s back to normal sooner than later.

I am sorry for getting upset at you. I am a Tech fan, not a CPJ or Collins fan. I have no agenda. I want Tech to win. I see a bright future. I was just wondering how a perfect kicker gets benched without even getting a try in the year. Today was his first attempt of the year. The question is what it was, nothing more or less.

There are many other areas of the game that need improvement. I understand the process, people need time in position, they need experience to improve. Some regress before progressing. We are told why Graham for example got pulled and what he needs to do to improve.

The best example of what you are talking about is Steve Sax at LA. Best defensive 2B in the game one year and literally cannot throw to first the next. Took what, 2 years to get it back ?

BTW I do respect your knowledge and experience and I understand and value what you are saying. I’m just not a fair weather fan. I’ve been with Tech since I was 12 or 13 and I’ll be a supporter until I die no matter who the coach is or what the record is.

Last edited:

Eli

Helluva Engineer

Brenton King is the worst kicker in college football. He is 9-16 in his career and 4-10 the last two years. How one kick justifies starting a guy who is 56% for his career and 40% the last two years is not a very good argument

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Show me where someone answered. I’ve seen speculation, not answers but opinions.

It is simple. The coaching staff has seen him kick in practice all season and determined he shouldn't be the starter. They have been hush-hush about it to protect him, most likely. We aren't owed any more of an explanation than he isnt our best kicker right now.

Animal02

Banned
I don’t care who kicks to the point of telling someone they have an agenda or are related to the subject player. I don’t question if people on this board have attended practice or if they were there in the spring or fall, that’s exactly what your response to me was. Why you went on the attack I don’t really know. What your level of past competition has to do with the original question of why did a perfect kicker get benched before the season even began is lost on me.

You seem to take offense to the very legitimate question of what happened. Rather than a respectful answer or simply not responding, you decided to attack. You now follow that up with telling me to cool off and come back later. I have a suggestion, why don’t you leave the board until you can show some respect for others thoughts ? There was no need for your rant toward me. I wasn’t addressing you at all by wondering why Wells got benched. You threw stupid accusations at me and cited your apparent experience and expertise as if you have some secret knowledge only possessed by people who have experienced a high level of competition. That’s what offended me. Not your thoughts on football, who should kick or who should not. It’s a simple concept of manners and showing respect for others, that’s it. We should be able to talk without being attacked and that’s exactly what you did.

Do I need to be related or attend practice to be a fan and/or comment ? Or should I pick a team to support that welcomes various thoughts ? Or maybe you could take your wonderments elsewhere, perhaps to an Ivy League school where your high browned degrading attitude can be a little more justified.

Now we can leave it there.
It is an appeal to authority argument that falls flat on its face;)

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

Literally the second post of this topic.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Are King and Wells both on ship?

If so, do most teams have 2 on ship that perform their duties?

If both are on ship, why did we give out another ship when the first one was here?

LibertyTurns

Banned
If both are on ship, why did we give out another ship when the first one was here?
Wells got a scholarship because he was money last year. Now either the kid turned into a head case over the summer or the staff jacked him up. Take your pick but we now have 2 kickers on scholarship and neither one can hit the broad side of a barn. There’s a world full of soccer playing nerds that can kick a ball 75 yds & we can’t find one that wants a full ride scholarship to one of the finest Engineering Institutes in the entire world. Baffling.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Are King and Wells both on ship?

If so, do most teams have 2 on ship that perform their duties?

1st answer yes king was put on by CPJ and Wells was awarded one by CGC but not sure it could be only one year.

2nd answer I don't follow other teams but I would guess not

3th answer you would have to ask CGC

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
Literally the second post of this topic.

Ok I went back to the 2nd post on this topic.

It says he got beat in practice, I saw that.it pertained to one game/week not a season.

I guess I suck at talking clearly. I wanted to know how anyone, regardless of sport, pedigree, talent, experience or lack of anything talented losses their starting job in which they may or may not be completely lucky after the fact they had never missed in a game - lose that starting job without trying one kick in an official game, after the season they were perfect in.

I know players lose their jobs for various reasons. Injuries or actual better talent supplanting them but I’ve never seen a player lose their job in kicking field goals or extra points perfectly without missing at least 2 or 3 in a real game. I guess it happens, I wanted to know why.

Since some seem perplexed by the question I’m asking, I’m assuming you guys would have no questions if we sat Mason, Because he had a bad practice. If you are perfect on the field of play I think most of us would naturally wonder why you are replaced by a sub .500 kicker the next year before you stepped on the field in a real game.

That all I’m asking. It’s not a hard question, I think repeating a post that he had a bad practice proves the question, So that’s enough to lose your job when your in game record is perfect ?

I guess some would be equally understanding if Nolan Ryan sat because he gave up a home fun in warm ups or Wayne Gretsky sat because he had a bad practice, Jordan missed a dunk in pre game ?

Repeating the bad practice post only enhances my question, ok he had a bad practice, everyone has a bad practice a time or two, so what ? Did he miss 3 FGs in a game ?

He has had one kick in 9 games ! After not missing at all the previous year. As King is 50% on his game kicks.

I asked for an answer not a guess. Sure we can surmise he had bad practice kicks, that’s not enough for an answer though. I was looking for someone who may actually know the deal. A real answer, the actual facts. Have he and Collins spoken and determined something else is driving this ? Is school and practice to much ? Did he fracture his foot skiing and lost his mechanics or has he lost a loved one ( maybe a girlfriend ) and his head isn’t in the game ? something more tangible than our perfect kicker missed in practice so he hasn’t gotten a try in 9 games.

If it’s the ATL thing ok well then that’s another conversation. If that’s the deal, who kicks best in practice from week to week can cause problems when you only have 2 kickers, one misses in the game and one misses in practice, who do you play ? So far it’s been the one who misses in the game - the other hasn’t had but one try.

It’s just a question, if nobody knows details that’s fine but there are a lot of answers to other questions on this board. I thought someone may have actual facts behind this issue, apparently not.

I’ll wonder off aimlessly mumbling to myself now, thanks.