Wesley Wells deserves his own thread

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Special teams won us a game instead of costing us a game. Huge night for Wells.

PH3 with the honorable mention as he was a stud today as well.

I don't know if anyone has noticed but old number 9, Victor Alexander has begun to make a name for himself on kick offs. He is down there in a hurry doing serious damage to opposing kick returners. Love to see seniors who may have lost their positions find ways to be positive contributors. Thank you Vic for your hard work in our program.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
At walk up again we met up with the family. They gave me a hard time about how well he had done over last games. They had a reoorter from the home town paper as their guest. He has know well throughout his high school career . I asked has wells always so precise. - his e tra points all look exactly the same. Guy said he is a prefectionist.

I told them he would take a major step on earning his future scholarship tonight as this was going to be a real tough game.

All kicks seem to be like a perfect 7 iron - come out w loft, backspin, and no side rotation and down the center.
Imo this was a big game for him.

There was a kicker from Coach Chan's time who was exceptional. He may have been an All American. Dan Dykes? or am I thinking of someone else? Anyway, on a television broadcast the announcer told people to listen to his kick. He crushed the ball and it sounded like a small cannon going off. He would do that every time. Wesley is similarly consistent. There is next to no wobble in the ball and it is up in a hurry.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Similar to my post about Presley Harvin’s middle name last week, I’m going to propose we shorten Wesley’s name on this board to WfW. You can consider that Wesley Freaking Wells.

Now that you mention Presley, he has pretty good hands because that ball is usually high and fast coming back to him but he always gets the job done. It is really nice to have good kicking for a change both punting and place kicking.

Deleted member 2897

Now that you mention Presley, he has pretty good hands because that ball is usually high and fast coming back to him but he always gets the job done. It is really nice to have good kicking for a change both punting and place kicking.

Yea I mean Wells is something like 43/43 on FG and PAT combined and Presley is automatic. We are really spoiled right now.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Yea I mean Wells is something like 43/43 on FG and PAT combined and Presley is automatic. We are really spoiled right now.

Here are his stats. http://www.cfbstats.com/2018/player/255/1094862/index.html 35 EP and 8 FG, so that is 43/43.

He will miss sometime, just hope not against UGAg if the game is close. Didn't he only recently started kicking - like So in HS?

As a Fr his leg will get stronger. As long as his head stays calm, he'll be just fine. His last FG before OT in the UVa game hit the upright from about 28 yards out. And I won't note which side it was from! Also his 48 yard FG was low but straight. What I like best about him is how fast he kicks the ball on EPs and how high and true they are. Most seem to go over the net.

Forgot he had done 5 KOs, and averaged 61.8 yards with only one TB. But no OOB. His average is about 1 yard more than Davis who is a Jr.

If Wells had been kicking last year, we'd have won 2-3 more. If he'd been kicking in the Pitt game at this level we could have won that one too. Not only did we miss one FG at Pitt, but CPJ would go for 4th and long in normal FG range given his confidence in our kicking game. Then with a Pitt win, we'd be looking at ACCCG. Butker put us over the top when he was here too.

Hope they throw him a parade, he has saved our season. I said it before and will say it again, Wells is the biggest and best surprise of all the players.

ST are damn important. Please when you talk about the O and the D as if they are what matters, remember ST. (Not aimed at you @bwelbo )

Deleted member 2897

Here are his stats. http://www.cfbstats.com/2018/player/255/1094862/index.html 35 EP and 8 FG, so that is 43/43.

He will miss sometime, just hope not against UGAg if the game is close. Didn't he only recently started kicking - like So in HS?

As a Fr his leg will get stronger. As long as his head stays calm, he'll be just fine. His last FG before OT in the UVa game hit the upright from about 28 yards out. And I won't note which side it was from! Also his 48 yard FG was low but straight. What I like best about him is how fast he kicks the ball on EPs and how high and true they are. Most seem to go over the net.

Forgot he had done 5 KOs, and averaged 61.8 yards with only one TB. But no OOB. His average is about 1 yard more than Davis who is a Jr.

If Wells had been kicking last year, we'd have won 2-3 more. If he'd been kicking in the Pitt game at this level we could have won that one too. Not only did we miss one FG at Pitt, but CPJ would go for 4th and long in normal FG range given his confidence in our kicking game. Then with a Pitt win, we'd be looking at ACCCG. Butker put us over the top when he was here too.

Hope they throw him a parade, he has saved our season. I said it before and will say it again, Wells is the biggest and best surprise of all the players.

ST are damn important. Please when you talk about the O and the D as if they are what matters, remember ST. (Not aimed at you @bwelbo )

43/43 like I had guessed. Can someone please tell my wife? About once a year I say something that is factually correct.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

I suspect that last jab was aimed at me since I only talk about offense and defense.

However, I include FGs in offensive scoring and defensive scoring allowed.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Davis participated in Senior day, so he's not coming back next year.

Thanks. Davis has really helped us out.

I don't see why the KO person can't also do FG and EPs. Doesn't seem that it is that much effort for an entire game. But I don't see other teams doing that much.

We did it with Butker but that was an exception. Loved his 74% TB and 88% FG and 100% EP as a senior. That is NFL quality there!

Anyone with experience know why it isn't done that much? (Or am I just wrong and it is?)

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
Thanks. Davis has really helped us out.

I don't see why the KO person can't also do FG and EPs. Doesn't seem that it is that much effort for an entire game. But I don't see other teams doing that much.

We did it with Butker but that was an exception. Loved his 74% TB and 88% FG and 100% EP as a senior. That is NFL quality there!

Anyone with experience know why it isn't done that much? (Or am I just wrong and it is?)

I thought we weren’t doing it much because aside from Butker, we’ve had kicking issues the last decade and a half.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I don't see why the KO person can't also do FG and EPs.
I assume kicking a ball as hard as you can downfield is pretty different then kicking it high, accurate, and long. I think both have a fair amount of technique involved, but there is less room to get in your own head during kick offs.

Just my guess.

CHE90

Jolly Good Fellow
I assume kicking a ball as hard as you can downfield is pretty different then kicking it high, accurate, and long. I think both have a fair amount of technique involved, but there is less room to get in your own head during kick offs.

Just my guess.
yet most kickers perform all 3 duties.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck

Just my guess.

There's a ton of technique. On kickoffs you land on your kicking foot for maximum power whereas you do not for FG's and XP's. It sounds counter-intuitive but it's the same in soccer when you're trying to get power on a shot.