Wesley Wells deserves his own thread

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
http://www.espn.com/college-football/player/_/id/4363608/wesley-wells

With 2 games left in the season, he has yet to miss a kick of any kind this year.

He doesn't have butker's leg, but having somebody who is reliable on the short stuff is mana from heaven, as far as I am concerned.

This kid makes a BIG difference for this team, because he changes CPJ's decision making processes. He doesn't have to be recklessly aggressive on third and long from the 25 and in anymore, because a FG attempt is a valid, desirable outcome. This game could EASILY have been lost with a kicker that CPJ didn't trust.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
http://www.espn.com/college-football/player/_/id/4363608/wesley-wells

With 2 games left in the season, he has yet to miss a kick of any kind this year.

He doesn't have butker's leg, but having somebody who is reliable on the short stuff is mana from heaven, as far as I am concerned.

This kid makes a BIG difference for this team, because he changes CPJ's decision making processes. He doesn't have to be recklessly aggressive on third and long from the 25 and in anymore, because a FG attempt is a valid, desirable outcome. This game could EASILY have been lost with a kicker that CPJ didn't trust.

Absolutely! I’m so glad he’s with us and I think he will gain some leg strength to go along with that awesome accuracy.

There was a time when I took EPs and short FGs for granted but the ups and downs in the kicking game in recent memory have made me realize just how valuable Wesley is.

Butker spoiled us.

I hope Wesley gets to silence those Mutt fans with a game winning FG in a couple of weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
Yup. The true freshman kicker from Lumpkin County — and a WALK-ON, to boot —no pun intended — has absolutely secured the vital place-kicking job at the Georgia Institute of Technology. For the remaining games this year, and for the next three full years!!

Folks. As he gets older and stronger over the next few years, he just may make us forget Butker by the time he graduates. He’s certainly made a much better start already than Butker did himself in Butker’s freshman year!

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Folks. As he gets older and stronger over the next few years, he just may make us forget Butker by the time he graduates. He’s certainly made a much better start already than Butker did himself in Butker’s freshman year!

Butker was indeed great...but he did not make me forget Manget or Sisson. I hope Wells joins the list of legendary kickers. But he will not replace them.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
Yup. The true freshman kicker from Lumpkin County — and a WALK-ON, to boot —no pun intended — has absolutely secured the vital place-kicking job at the Georgia Institute of Technology. For the remaining games this year, and for the next three full years!!

mmmmm, i won't say that. Fully half of Butker's value as a kickoff guy. His last 2 years, it was pretty much a guaranteed touchback, and there's a ton of value there.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
At walk up again we met up with the family. They gave me a hard time about how well he had done over last games. They had a reoorter from the home town paper as their guest. He has know well throughout his high school career . I asked has wells always so precise. - his e tra points all look exactly the same. Guy said he is a prefectionist.

I told them he would take a major step on earning his future scholarship tonight as this was going to be a real tough game.

All kicks seem to be like a perfect 7 iron - come out w loft, backspin, and no side rotation and down the center.
Imo this was a big game for him.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
At walk up again we met up with the family. They gave me a hard time about how well he had done over last games. They had a reoorter from the home town paper as their guest. He has know well throughout his high school career . I asked has wells always so precise. - his e tra points all look exactly the same. Guy said he is a prefectionist.

I told them he would take a major step on earning his future scholarship tonight as this was going to be a real tough game.

All kicks seem to be like a perfect 7 iron - come out w loft, backspin, and no side rotation and down the center.
Imo this was a big game for him.

Easiest club in the bag to repeat a swing with, sounds perfect for a kicker!

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Ilove stole a thought I hadn't posted yet -- that having a placekicker who you can count on has changed the way coach thinks. Half of it is, as an offensive guy, he finds it frustrating to admit his team has been stopped. But the other half is it has been such a long time since he had a kicker he could count on to get the three points.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
I wouldn’t sell Wesley Wells short on kicking off in the future. The sky’s the limit on this young true freshman man.

It’s amazing how some folks jump to negative conclusions about any player when such player has three more years to improve ...

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Wait...what was this thread about?
A 'Hoos fan... complimenting the Georgia Tech kicker... the week of the Cavs vs. Jackets.

He soft tosses in a casual "With 2 games left in the season, he has yet to miss a kick of any kind this year. " And then a "[CPJ] doesn't have to be recklessly aggressive on third and long from the 25 and in anymore, because a FG attempt is a valid, desirable outcome."

Oh yea, FG attempts are desirable outcomes now.

All kinds of witchcraft going on.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Butker was not kicking consistent touchbacks until he was an upperclassman. I have no idea how improving kicking distance as a kicker works, but I would hope any senior kicker we have in a couple years will consistently put them through the end zone.