Well we made the front page of TMZ

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
PJ Davis knocked out Corey Griffin’s friend who said he had a gun. Different than this, although I guess the fact that someone on the inside released it is the same deal.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Lol oh yes it is.
They are typical tech men who are also football players who go to a helluva difficult school while playing power 5 football. Thank goodness they didnt have video in 65!
They got over it. Saw the Austin and Durham celebrate together after big plays. I think this was a little thang.

It could be worse with a bunch of patsies.
Hey, I was at a Baylor game in 90s when Kevin steel was coach. The bears were down 45 to 3 with 4 min left in second quarter and the players were all patting each other on shoulder. There were zero unnecessary roughness plays. The next coach improved this attitude. Imo we could stand a bit more aggressive players.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
I coach high school sports. I wish this were not normal, but it is. Kids play fight like this, but really punch each other. They don't know how to fight for real, so the punches don't usually do much. Looks like step caught him just right. And sadly, they video everything. The only part about this that sucks is someone releasing the video. Other than that this is completely normal. I wish it wasn't, but this is 2017.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I'm not an anti-CPJ guy at all but this kind of stuff (not the fight. the leak, lack of step-in, etc.) is the only thing that makes me lean in that direction. Loosely hints at a bit of a lack of control (to the extent there can be "control").

This is the 2nd time in the last what, 3 years we've been on WorldStarrrrrrr for crap like this. After the last time CPJ hinted at lack of leadership or w/e. Well, this can't be an ongoing theme, bro.

Ehh... that’s a tough one. Politically speaking, you don’t want “big government” or bigger government in the locker room. CPJ has A LOT on his plate. It’s not like he can to take everyone phone or ban phones from the locker room. Guys have to be accountable and not do stupid **** leak a in-house video. This is on par with or damn near close the WF announcer sending Louisville info. I hope he was compensated well for it.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Welcome to this generation. By the video guys reaction, i don’t think this was real fight.

I agree this stuff happens on all teams from high school to the pros.

It was a real fight tho. Law learned a lesson. When "fronting" someone, that has their hands up and ready to go...don't close the distance to within striking range with your hands down and chin unprotected. Step created distance with a small push, then Law stepped in toward him and step put a cross right on the button. If you don't have a titanium chin your lights will definitely be going out when this occurs.

The video thing is with us forever now. It's the first thing that comes out during any altercation. Putting that crap on social media should be automatic dismissal from the team though.

And it's really not fair to blame the coaches for it getting out. How are they supposed to stop it? You think the guy that videod it or anyone involved told the coaches it even existed? I highly doubt it.

Now once they became aware of it they could ask. And ask those involved who witnessed it. Once it got leaked they would then have an idea of who leaked it. Then they *might* be able to punish or dismiss the appropriate party.

But cell phones are prolific and so is this social media behavior. The only way to stop this really is to effectively ban players from bringing phones into football facilities. How ya think that would help recruiting?

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Ehh... that’s a tough one. Politically speaking, you don’t want “big government” or bigger government in the locker room. CPJ has A LOT on his plate. It’s not like he can to take everyone phone or ban phones from the locker room. Guys have to be accountable and not do stupid **** leak a in-house video. This is on par with or damn near close the WF announcer sending Louisville info. I hope he was compensated well for it.

I hear you. The problem I have is this is the 2nd time something embarrassing has got out.

Couple that with the strangely disconnected on-field product. Pair that with CPJ's past comments w.r.t. the leadership void (I've avoided the after-season news so far so I don't know if he's reiterated similar concerns this time. I'm sorta expecting him to though.) and ... like I said, this is the only thing that makes me question do we need a new HC.

Not saying I'm fully in that boat, just .. well, just a little concerned.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I hear you. The problem I have is this is the 2nd time something embarrassing has got out.

Couple that with the strangely disconnected on-field product. Pair that with CPJ's past comments w.r.t. the leadership void (I've avoided the after-season news so far so I don't know if he's reiterated similar concerns this time. I'm sorta expecting him to though.) and ... like I said, this is the only thing that makes me question do we need a new HC.

Not saying I'm fully in that boat, just .. well, just a little concerned.

But basically you would be ok with this if we had gone 10-2.

Chris Freeman

Jolly Good Fellow
We had fights every single year leading up to the start of the season. That’s what happens when you only get to hit each other for weeks on end. Coaches would schedule scrimmages so we could quote, “Hit someone else for a change.” This is not news

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
I’m telling you, if anything that brought them closer together as teammates. Not sure which Austin twin it was but I guarantee he respected Durham more as a person and teamate. This 100% goes on, on every team at every level. We slap boxed every day in high school. When you have all that testosterone under one roof it’s going to happen.

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
PJ Davis knocked out Corey Griffin’s friend who said he had a gun. Different than this, although I guess the fact that someone on the inside released it is the same deal.

Pretty sure PJ knocked out Dennis Andrews. The guy who released that film, that DL, was kicked off the team later that year. I don't think he was kicked off for releasing the video, but it certainly didn't help.

I mean, honestly, who releases that video? Its a bad look for Step and Lance. One guy throwing fists for what appeared to be not a big deal and the other guy demonstrating a glass chin or lack of situational awareness.

Great form and accuracy on the punch though...Coach Sisk boxing training is working out...

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
upload_2017-11-28_11-42-51.png

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
There is a big opportunity here for the coaches at GT across all sports teams to have a candid conversation about nothing you do in this day/age just happens and is over. You need to be accountable and aware of your actions because once it is recorded/filmed it is around and will/could be used to misrepresent/support a agenda. The real facts about what lead up to this event are not known and what happened afterwards aren't shown. Perhaps it's just a most provocative portion of the video and what happened afterwards like them shaking hands and getting some ice aren't shown. It has been mentioned in this thread that a GT player may have leaked it to the media but the real possibility is that "who knows" and we may never know because once the original video leaves the original recorder and is shared it splinters multiple times as the receivers continue to share and now small scuffle between two teammates, which was handled internally as it should be, has made it's way into a public forum. Just as a pure example....Did you happen to notice how many times after games the players interact with opposing teams interact on a personal level b/c they know each other outside of the team they now play for and perhaps may have even played on the same teams or summer leagues. So perhaps it eventually made its way onto a website where fights, via a friend and then ultimately into someone's inbox who hates GT or perhaps one of these players in the film and smear the GT reputation, are posted by someone who received the video and because of these "public figures" names (college athletes) TMZ picked up on it and ran the story because people love to talk/speculate/smear other programs. Perhaps on of the most unfortunate aspects of incidents such as this is that it takes away energy, focus, attention, and time from GT coaches/AD in a critical time recruiting and program evaluation. I would dare to assume now that opposing teams websites (at the least) if the recruiting coaches from other teams that we are battling recruiting for perhaps will drop that little bread crumb in the laps of parents as "things unraveling at GT" because teammates are fighting each other... I mean here we are talking about it and have a thread dedicated to the silly video even suggesting that CPJ has lost control.... This is at nowhere near the same level which demonstrates a "the sky is falling" reaction.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
I agree this stuff happens on all teams from high school to the pros.

It was a real fight tho. Law learned a lesson. When "fronting" someone, that has their hands up and ready to go...don't close the distance to within striking range with your hands down and chin unprotected. Step created distance with a small push, then Law stepped in toward him and step put a cross right on the button. If you don't have a titanium chin your lights will definitely be going out when this occurs.

The video thing is with us forever now. It's the first thing that comes out during any altercation. Putting that crap on social media should be automatic dismissal from the team though.

And it's really not fair to blame the coaches for it getting out. How are they supposed to stop it? You think the guy that videod it or anyone involved told the coaches it even existed? I highly doubt it.

Now once they became aware of it they could ask. And ask those involved who witnessed it. Once it got leaked they would then have an idea of who leaked it. Then they *might* be able to punish or dismiss the appropriate party.

But cell phones are prolific and so is this social media behavior. The only way to stop this really is to effectively ban players from bringing phones into football facilities. How ya think that would help recruiting?

it doesnt seem to hurt alabama much at all. id bet that most of the other top programs dont allow cell phones out in practice OR during games either.

"I think if you're going to be on the sidelines, you should be focusing on the game," Saban said. "That's basically the policy. That's basically what we're trying to do. We have a rule that nobody's allowed to have a cell phone on the sidelines, and we have a rule for when you can have your cell phone out in the locker room. Obviously it's a FOCUS issue. I don't know what else I can say about it."

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2017/10/nick_saban_talks_scott_cochran.html