Welcome Coach Collins!

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
In Goldy's defense, I'm pretty sure that was him saying "GTFO!", in his 'inside voice'.

Okay, so there seems to be a new style of posting being promoted, so I'm going to give it a try.

I think it's pretty clear that a lot of our fans are more concerned that their dwag-fan friends don't make fun of them for GT running a unique offense than that GT wins games. For them, it's not about GT and what's best for our team long-term. It's about them not getting their feelings hurt. How else do you explain how winning a press conference for them is more impressive than winning the Orange Bowl for GT?​

See, I can frame it in the form of an opinion. I don't have to cite any evidence. It may function as a troll because there are certain people who will be emotionally triggered, but it's apparently not a troll.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Okay, so there seems to be a new style of posting being promoted, so I'm going to give it a try.

I think it's pretty clear that a lot of our fans are more concerned that their dwag-fan friends don't make fun of them for GT running a unique offense than that GT wins games. For them, it's not about GT and what's best for our team long-term. It's about them not getting their feelings hurt. How else do you explain how winning a press conference for them is more impressive than winning the Orange Bowl for GT?​

See, I can frame it in the form of an opinion. I don't have to cite any evidence. It may function as a troll because there are certain people who will be emotionally triggered, but it's apparently not a troll.

I am not getting into the fray, but I would like to say this:

If ANY of you let hearing the "triple option/flexbone" taunts from UGAG rednecks impact your life, and in ANYWAY, that affected the way you thought about CPJ, shame on you. That would be a very weak reaction. Your life happiness cannot be affected by what gaggers say or think. Come on.

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Yep. When the AD goes out looking for an innovator, somebody who recognizes GT's place in the scheme of things and what it needs to do to compete, and comes back with a cursory search that nets a guy who will run ... an NFL offense, then yep. That was a pick from the paper, as Washington bureaucrats call it. Then he announces already that he can't win with this talent so it will take seven years ....

Define NFL offense please. I suspect like your amigo Animal02 you don’t watch the NFL and have no clue what you are talking about.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo.../11/29/18112484/coaching-hires-fires-analysis

I’m interested to see what a good recruiter can do at Tech. Many young coaches have speculated privately that the job is a sleeping giant. I don’t know about the giant part, but it has been sleeping.

I don’t expect for Tech to start competing with Georgia for recruits. It’s simply not that level of job. It’s not going to commit those type of resources.

And the academic requirements to get into Georgia Tech are tough. That is commonly viewed as an obstacle in recruiting.

But why can’t Georgia Tech compete with top academic schools like Stanford, Vanderbilt, Northwestern, Virginia, Michigan, Notre Dame, and Duke, who commonly come into the state and sign quality prospects?

Why can’t Georgia Tech compete with North Carolina, N.C. State, and Ole Miss for prospects?

It feels like every school in the country recruits Georgia. Tech should as well. I think it will do so under Collins. He brings energy and passion to recruiting.

Paul Johnson’s scheme and coaching helped to overcome the talent disadvantage. We’ll see if Collins’ coaching combined with greater talent on the roster in the coming years will yield better results.

The timing for the move feels right. Switching from triple option personnel on offense will be a slow process, but no other school in the ACC Coastal has real momentum. Not Miami. Not Virginia Tech. And not UNC.

THat is a really good point about the other schools kind of reeling--but we are going to need this lapse to have the time to get organized.I wouldn't be surprised if it is 2+ yrs here to win unless our QB situation blossoms fast..

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
The title of the thread is Welcome Coach Collins. Now, I hope this doesn't violate the 'sarcasm' rule. I'm not trying to be sarcastic, just get back on topic. There are threads in which to laud Coach Johnson and advocate for the under center option offense. Let us use this one to welcome our new coach and express support for him.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
That might be the most amateurish, unreported, top-of-the-empty-head fraud I have ever read. Not sure he has ever seen a football game, much less GT. A triple option on almost every play? What? Maybe the reporting will get better. I have little hope.

I'm a Tech guy for 50 yrs and I really see little in this article that I would much disagree with.I think GC will bring a new slant to the program.(better DEF and less Off emphasis generally) Whether its better, I will wait and see but it was time for a change..

Jophish17

Jolly Good Fellow
The road to the exit is paved with claims of "my dream job." Until the next one. (I don't fault him for saying it. I fault anybody for believing him.)
He also said becoming head coach at Temple was a dream. I’m sure I’m not the only one who has multiple dreams, even progressive dreams along the same theme. I believe him.

TheTaxJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
So far, it seems the city is embracing him as well. Think about that.

No kidding. It’s so weird. Today I was on the way to the grocery store and I flipped on 92.9 and they were talking about GT positively. They never talk about us on weekend shows. Today they spent at least 3 segments on us because they were still talking about us an hour later when I got back in the car. And it was still positive. It’s just a really good feeling.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
No kidding. It’s so weird. Today I was on the way to the grocery store and I flipped on 92.9 and they were talking about GT positively. They never talk about us on weekend shows. Today they spent at least 3 segments on us because they were still talking about us an hour later when I got back in the car. And it was still positive. It’s just a really good feeling.

I think CGC gets the whole, "You scratch my back I scratch your back" thing. There's mutual respect thing that happens with coaches and the media. Doesn't mean you need to cow tow to them, or slobber all over their mike, but if you treat them with respect and keep discussions positive as opposed to antagonistic, the media will try to work with you. You look at Josh Pastner. The bball teams is NOT good, but they local media always has nice things to say about Pastner and our bball program.

I think CPJ tended to take everything too personally, and became antagonistic. Actually, it was a running joke among the media that CPJ would fight you if you questioned him or his system. Coaches, players, ADs, etc...they're never gonna beat the media. The media always has the last word. What's the saying? The pen is mightier than the sword? True since Roman times, true today.

I like that CGC understands he's the figurehead for GT, and understands having a good relationship with the media is a good thing for him and more importantly, our program.

BuzzThePlumber

Helluva Engineer
The title of the thread is Welcome Coach Collins. Now, I hope this doesn't violate the 'sarcasm' rule. I'm not trying to be sarcastic, just get back on topic. There are threads in which to laud Coach Johnson and advocate for the under center option offense. Let us use this one to welcome our new coach and express support for him.
JFC, thank you!!

Welcome aboard, Coach GC! Can’t wait to see you take the field in the Spring!!

(And this above statement in no way diminishes my love and appreciation for CPJ— see how one can appreciate the past AND be hopeful and optimistic about the future?)

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Skeptic: I sure hope his statement about running an NFL offense is just that, a statement for perspective recruits to "hear". No way he can run a smash mouth system on O right now, and I doubt for a few years. It has to have lots of option principles, and it must not be the "run of the mill" version that everyone is trying to copy from Clemson right now.
Now this makes sense. It may be recruiting babble, because if he thinks he can run a modern college game without options, he is better than any coach out there. (And that is not what his Temple team does, based on two games I have watched on YouTube.) As for what is NFL, it is short, flare and slant passes, high percentage throws to playmakers with the occasional haymaker thrown in. It is as you say "smashmouth" which is not today's college game for the most part. It is very little option, though they run it a lot more now. Here is what a college coach told me: the innovation in football today is coming from high schools, not colleges and not the NFL. But from outmanned HS coaches trying to find a way to score. Almost every college staff has a hire from HS aboard. I hope you are right, and he does not try that straight ahead, trap and cross blocking between the tackles because he will not have the manpower against the Clemsons and Georgias and therefore nothing changes...we remain outmatched at that level.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Define NFL offense please. I suspect like your amigo Animal02 you don’t watch the NFL and have no clue what you are talking about.

I’ll be the first to admit I don’t watch NFL anymore. So is there a standard “NFL offense” actually? Or is that just typical BS? If not bs then please describe. (If it hasn’t changed in the last couple years it’s certainly pass first and run the ball to surprise the D generally.)

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Gah those three unis behind him.

G/W/G beautiful.
G/B looks so good under lights.
W/W/W something everyone does but I feel we do it better.

Why can’t we get navy blue in our jerseys? That’s not navy blue. Navy blue is the numeral in the white jersey.

Wrong shades of gold...wrong shades of blue...welcome to Tech CGC!

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Why can’t we get navy blue in our jerseys? That’s not navy blue. Navy blue is the numeral in the white jersey.

Wrong shades of gold...wrong shades of blue...welcome to Tech CGC!
I think adidas called it muted navy or something like that. It's supposed to be different.