Week 3 Media #GTvsCUSE

Deleted member 2897

Should we get a bad feeling about this game not happening? Is the team in Syracuse already or are the flights today? Maybe we're waiting until the last minute to see who is available.

The equipment truck posted pictures yesterday that they were heading out and on their way.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
You know I love our kids and hope they all do great. However, I think the praise and glowing accolades for our secondary is way overblown. I just don't see it this year and certainly it was not there last year. Sometimes I get the impression that we as fans want it so bad that we have a tendency to make it so even when it is not. From what I see they are still often out of position, they continuously play the man and not the ball, they do not generate many turnovers and their tackling is still suspect. I know a lot of folks like to say if we had a better pass rush their pass defense would be better and our linebackers are slow and ineffective, but to my way of thinking, the secondary is just not living up to its billing. We certainly have a lot personnel and many of them are very athletic but collectively, they need to a lot of work toward honing their craft.

Go Jackets!

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
You know I love our kids and hope they all do great. However, I think the praise and glowing accolades for our secondary is way overblown. I just don't see it this year and certainly it was not there last year. Sometimes I get the impression that we as fans want it so bad that we have a tendency to make it so even when it is not. From what I see they are still often out of position, they continuously play the man and not the ball, they do not generate many turnovers and their tackling is still suspect. I know a lot of folks like to say if we had a better pass rush their pass defense would be better and our linebackers are slow and ineffective, but to my way of thinking, the secondary is just not living up to its billing. We certainly have a lot personnel and many of them are very athletic but collectively, they need to a lot of work toward honing their craft.

Go Jackets!
Agreed. Highly disappointed with our secondary this year. Of course having no depth on D line and getting little to no pass rush provides no aid

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
According to the ATL list it appears that Mason isn’t going to play against Cuse either. However D. Brooks is listed so it’s good to get him back.

Official GT vs Cuse team moto:
Survive GIFs | Tenor

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer

Go Jackets!
Two things: I wonder about the speed of the safeties sometimes but I believe that the tackling is better this year. Our secondary is pretty good and has the potential to get better. The lines were the problem last year and remain the problem this year but that can be said about 80% of the teams playing this year. It is just really hard to develop good linemen. You can't just recruit your way out of a line mess. A great lineman in high school does not always translate to a productive college career. It is the hardest position to project how a recruit will do in transitioning from high school to college. FSU and Miami both have had 4 and 5 star linemen coming out of their ears for years and most of them were busts. I am sure the coaches are working as hard as they can but IIWII.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
According to the ATL list it appears that Mason isn’t going to play against Cuse either. However D. Brooks is listed so it’s good to get him back.

I have a friend who is a podiatrist. He says broken foots are among the hardest things to treat. Sometimes they respond very well to treatment and other times it is a slow process. If we have an injury that is the position to have it. God knows we cannot afford anymore injuries at defensive end or tight end.

Milwaukee

Banned

Go Jackets!

Our secondary is actually a liability. But a lot of the players in that group are fan favorites so people tend to not see past that, and I get that. Some of the guys back there are my personal favorites as well but our safeties are slow in coverage.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Our secondary is actually a liability. But a lot of the players in that group are fan favorites so people tend to not see past that, and I get that. Some of the guys back there are my personal favorites as well but our safeties are slow in coverage.
I think you have to consider that when people say our secondary is so good, they are thinking guys like Tariq, Juanyeh, Tre Swilling, and Kaleb Oliver - that's a great group, and I'm sure Walton or another CB could round that out and make a very formidable complete secondary. But with Swilling out, we are weakened at both corner positions, and then you have the subs coming in and that excellent group everyone thinks of is not what is on the field, and play drops off a good bit and guys get beat regularly.