Week 3 Media #GTvsCUSE

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Winsipedia hasn't tweeted week 3 historical summaries, so I just went direct to source:

1600820340046.png

1600820344860.png

1600820356694.png

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Winsipedia hasn't tweeted week 3 historical summaries, so I just went direct to source:

View attachment 9088
View attachment 9089
View attachment 9090
It’s really hard to believe that Syracuse has had more 1st round picks and more weeks ranked AP no. 1 than Tech does. College football is a wild world.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
It’s really hard to believe that Syracuse has had more 1st round picks and more weeks ranked AP no. 1 than Tech does. College football is a wild world.
It's really not as a former outsider. Same deal with NFL Hall of Famers.

Look at the win % graph. What's the main difference between GT and Syracuse? To me the primary takeaway that I'm all too familiar with is that they made one of the worst HC hires in history in 2004. Their fans have catalogued articles on Greg Robinson - oft cited as one of the worst hires all time.

Cuse was a proud/fringe top 25 program thru the early 2000's. That lost decade (roughly 2004-2010 really) did potentially irreversible damage to program perception. Prior to that Syracuse was top 10-ish in All-Time wins in college football. They had an undefeated season 3 years before our 1990 natty.

ETA: You know what the nail in the coffin was in 2004 that led to Paul Pasqualoni's firing? The Champs Sports Bowl game vs. GT and Calvin Johnson.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Yeah, he’s brutally honest and gives great insight.
You see no one is saying he’s in over his head now that he has OL
He alluded to probably the key difference in this press conference, he established the base offense and has built off that. CGC highlighted another big difference this year in another presser in that their practices have been much more disciplined. You put these 2 things together & it pays dividends. Yeah execution has not been stellar, but there’s a huge change in players even understanding what play’s being called. It was just way too chaotic last year. I’ve never made a large change in any organization & lost control like that. It must have been hell. It sure looked like it.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
It's really not as a former outsider. Same deal with NFL Hall of Famers.

Look at the win % graph. What's the main difference between GT and Syracuse? To me the primary takeaway that I'm all too familiar with is that they made one of the worst HC hires in history. Their fans have catalogued articles on Greg Robinson - oft cited as one of the worst hires all time.

Cuse was a proud/fringe top 25 program thru the early 2000's. That lost decade (roughly 2004-2010 really) did potentially irreversible damage to program perception. Prior to that Syracuse was top 10-ish in All-Time wins in college football. They had an undefeated season 3 years before our 1990 natty.

ETA: You know what the nail in the coffin was in 2004 that led to Paul Pasqualoni's firing? The Champs Sports Bowl game vs. GT and Calvin Johnson.
As someone in the younger generation (sorry ‘bout it old farts :cool:) Syracuse’s national relevance has probably been about the same as Tech’s. I left Tech in the spring of ‘19. Since I’ve been alive, Syracuse has won 10+ games twice, and has 5 seasons of 8+ wins. Conversely, Tech has won 10+ games 3 times and 8+ 10 times. Neither of those resumes are stunning, and outside of their own regions, both programs have been very forgettable. But, Syracuse went 16 entire seasons without being ranked once. That was my entire childhood/adolescence. There was no reason for me or anyone else near my age to ever think about Syracuse football. I didn’t even know Donovan McNabb went to Syracuse until within the last few years. And McNabb was one of the best NFL players of my childhood, and was on the cover of one of my favorite Madden games.

I’m sure it’s the same with the generation below mine and Calvin Johnson. An incredible player, had his own Madden cover ironically, but his time at GT has become irrelevant because GT was all but irrelevant for a long time. My original comment wasn’t a shot at ‘Cuse’s history, more so just a bit surprised about it. As you said, that decade and a half of absolute incompetence probably did irreparable damage to the program. Tech is at least helped out with natural rivalries with Georgia and Clemson, and have had some classic games with Miami and FSU over the last decade+ or so. I honesty couldn’t tell you anybody that Syracuse has any semblance of a rivalry with. Rutgers? Pitt? I’ve honestly got no idea.

Deleted member 2897

As someone in the younger generation (sorry ‘bout it old farts :cool:) Syracuse’s national relevance has probably been about the same as Tech’s. I left Tech in the spring of ‘19. Since I’ve been alive, Syracuse has won 10+ games twice, and has 5 seasons of 8+ wins. Conversely, Tech has won 10+ games 3 times and 8+ 10 times. Neither of those resumes are stunning, and outside of their own regions, both programs have been very forgettable. But, Syracuse went 16 entire seasons without being ranked once. That was my entire childhood/adolescence. There was no reason for me or anyone else near my age to ever think about Syracuse football. I didn’t even know Donovan McNabb went to Syracuse until within the last few years. And McNabb was one of the best NFL players of my childhood, and was on the cover of one of my favorite Madden games.

I’m sure it’s the same with the generation below mine and Calvin Johnson. An incredible player, had his own Madden cover ironically, but his time at GT has become irrelevant because GT was all but irrelevant for a long time. My original comment wasn’t a shot at ‘Cuse’s history, more so just a bit surprised about it. As you said, that decade and a half of absolute incompetence probably did irreparable damage to the program.

And we have 17 years of 7+ wins over the last 22 years compared to 7 years for them. In the last 25 years we’ve only had 2 seasons under 0.500 in ACC play compared to like 15+ for them. We’ve been at least twice as good and consistent as they have.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I agree. I have been critical of his press conferences in the past. I was very impressed with his reasoned answers. He sounded like a general giving a press conference to describe a bombing sortie over Bagdad in the Persian Gulf War. Calm, matter-of-fact, and unruffled. If it were my son, I'd say he's back on his meds.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I

Look at the win % graph. What's the main difference between GT and Syracuse? To me the primary takeaway that I'm all too familiar with is that they made one of the worst HC hires in history in 2004. Their fans have catalogued articles on Greg Robinson - oft cited as one of the worst hires all time.

'Cuse, really don't know how far back you go as a GT fan, but would you consider the Robinson hire even worse than Homer's hire of B*** L****? Granted, we pulled the pin on that clown show pretty quickly but if we had hired either Ralph or G'OL to replace Ross and maintain some continuity, it's not difficult to believe that GT's most recent history would have been a bit better as well.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
'Cuse, really don't know how far back you go as a GT fan, but would you consider the Robinson hire even worse than Homer's hire of B*** L****? Granted, we pulled the pin on that clown show pretty quickly but if we had hired either Ralph or G'OL to replace Ross and maintain some continuity, it's not difficult to believe that GT's most recent history would have been a bit better as well.
I wasn’t a GT fan at that time, and it’s possible there’s recency bias, but the GRob hire made multiple lists for worst hire all time, whereas L**** did not.
Ex: https://athlonsports.com/college-football/25-worst-college-football-coaching-tenures-bcs-era
Ex: https://fansided.com/2017/05/26/worst-coaching-hires-college-football-history/18/
Ex: https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2013/12/26/gallos-top-10-worst-head-coach-hires-in-college-football/

To your point, it may be because GT pulled the plug quickly. AND it’s likely because GT had the ability to recover.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member

I’m sure it’s the same with the generation below mine and Calvin Johnson. An incredible player, had his own Madden cover ironically, but his time at GT has become irrelevant because GT was all but irrelevant for a long time. My original comment wasn’t a shot at ‘Cuse’s history, more so just a bit surprised about it. As you said, that decade and a half of absolute incompetence probably did irreparable damage to the program. Tech is at least helped out with natural rivalries with Georgia and Clemson, and have had some classic games with Miami and FSU over the last decade+ or so. I honesty couldn’t tell you anybody that Syracuse has any semblance of a rivalry with. Rutgers? Pitt? I’ve honestly got no idea.
Small thing - they just finished ranked in top 15 in 2018.

But otherwise your post supports my point. After hiring Greg Robinson in 2004, they fell of the cliff. Both in terms of performance and clearly perception.

2013 is one example that comes to mind. We beat them 56-0 and you’d think they were a horrible team. That year they finished 7-6 (4-4) and arguably had an equal if not slightly better year than us.

As we know based on how perception affected our past regime, it’s sometimes fair/sometimes not. Just providing context for why they have been mostly bad the last 15 years. Prior to that i.e., until the mid2000’s, they were top 10 wins all time. Despite the past 15 years, they are still top 25 all time and only 15 total wins behind us now.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Small thing - they just finished ranked in top 15 in 2018.

But otherwise your post supports my point. After hiring Greg Robinson in 2004, they fell of the cliff. Both in terms of performance and clearly perception.

2013 is one example that comes to mind. We beat them 56-0 and you’d think they were a horrible team. That year they finished 7-6 (4-4) and arguably had an equal if not slightly better year than us.

As we know based on how perception affected our past regime, it’s sometimes fair/sometimes not. Just providing context for why they have been mostly bad the last 15 years. Prior to that i.e., until the mid2000’s, they were top 10 wins all time. Despite the past 15 years, they are still top 25 all time and only 15 total wins behind us now.
That’s all true, but it’s not really what I was trying to convey in my post. And yes, they did finish ranked #15 in 2018. But they went from 2002-2017 without spending one single week ranked. That’s 16 seasons, and it spanned my life from ages 4-19. And since that 2018 season they’re 5-9, and trending downward again.

The point I was trying to get across was despite their successful history, they’ve been irrelevant in the modern day. It’s mostly been the same story for Tech. There’s been no reason to associate Syracuse football with success in my lifetime. Just like Tech for the most part. No matter how successful a program’s history is, if they aren’t relevant in the modern day, their history becomes irrelevant by default. Perception is reality, and the perception of Syracuse football for my generation is that they’re a miserable program. Perception of Georgia Tech football for my generation is that we’ve been somewhere between average and mediocre. It’s just the way it is. Perception is obviously in the eyes of the beholder, and older folks will have different views about different programs based on how they’ve performed throughout their own lives. The perception of Georgia Tech or Syracuse football is likely very different for someone who is 18 years old, as opposed to 68 years old.

SWATlien

Ramblin' Wreck
Can’t wait to see the packages they cook up for Gibbs. I love that this offense is multiple and is a balanced attack. Bolds well for recruiting and helps develop talent for the NFL. I hope he working with Sims on cleaning up his deep ball. If seems can start hitting those more consistently, it would be big for this offense. This explosiveness of this offense increases dramatically. If he can get to the goals of 500 plus yards averaging 30pts, that’s an ACC title contending team.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I wasn’t a GT fan at that time, and it’s possible there’s recency bias, but the GRob hire made multiple lists for worst hire all time, whereas L**** did not.
Ex: https://athlonsports.com/college-football/25-worst-college-football-coaching-tenures-bcs-era
Ex: https://fansided.com/2017/05/26/worst-coaching-hires-college-football-history/18/
Ex: https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2013/12/26/gallos-top-10-worst-head-coach-hires-in-college-football/

To your point, it may be because GT pulled the plug quickly. AND it’s likely because GT had the ability to recover.
GT pulled the plug quickly because O'Leary was there as the DC to step in and right the ship. B*** L**** lost the locker room halfway through his 2nd season. It went down from there.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
That’s all true, but it’s not really what I was trying to convey in my post. And yes, they did finish ranked #15 in 2018. But they went from 2002-2017 without spending one single week ranked. That’s 16 seasons, and it spanned my life from ages 4-19. And since that 2018 season they’re 5-9, and trending downward again.

The point I was trying to get across was despite their successful history, they’ve been irrelevant in the modern day. It’s mostly been the same story for Tech. There’s been no reason to associate Syracuse football with success in my lifetime. Just like Tech for the most part. No matter how successful a program’s history is, if they aren’t relevant in the modern day, their history becomes irrelevant by default. Perception is reality, and the perception of Syracuse football for my generation is that they’re a miserable program. Perception of Georgia Tech football for my generation is that we’ve been somewhere between average and mediocre. It’s just the way it is. Perception is obviously in the eyes of the beholder, and older folks will have different views about different programs based on how they’ve performed throughout their own lives. The perception of Georgia Tech or Syracuse football is likely very different for someone who is 18 years old, as opposed to 68 years old.
I totally get it and agree that the most recent 15 years reflects who you are today.

Virginia is my go-to example of perception relative to Syracuse, especially given recent history. Do you view the programs differently?

Deleted member 2897

Despite the past 15 years, they are still top 25 all time and only 15 total wins behind us now.

Well, they do get to play in the Atlantic. Even including Clemson, we’re something like 18-7 over the last 10-12 years against that division. (6 of those 7 losses are Clemson).

slugboy

Staff member
GT pulled the plug quickly because O'Leary was there as the DC to step in and right the ship. B*** L**** lost the locker room halfway through his 2nd season. It went down from there.
1. it didn’t “feel” quick if you were a student or a fan
2. it sure felt like everyone knew the O’Leary hire was “fix this immediately or O’Leary is the next coach”.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
When CAT was asked about getting people back, he said "Yeah, let's get our big guys back" Hope that means we see Curtis and maybe Clayton back in rotation