We need to jump ship

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
More money= quicker way to get the AA out of debt.
The quickest way to get out of debt is to raise money for it from donors. The 2020 Campaign raised $115M plus ... we have alums who could cover it. I'm not sure it's a priority for TStan ... I know the short term debt was, but perhaps with long term loans at a favorable interest rate ... perhaps TStan feels he can swing it.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
So closer than my drive to Miami, FSU, Syracuse, Virginia and Boston College. 😊
You sure about Tallahassee? But you could add Pittsburgh to your list. Charlottesville's pretty much a wash from northeast Ga.

Nine schools in the ACC are closer to Atlanta than the closest school in the Big whatever it is.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
At this time feb 2022.

Followers on twitter.
Gt football 20,000.
Texas AM football 270,000
Alabama football 1,000,000.

We are the guy / girl at the dance who will dance with anyone!

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
All in all, there was a reason our name was floated around as being offered by the B1G back in 2012. They see us as valuable and a fit in their conference where the ACC could care less about us. More money= quicker way to get the AA out of debt.
We are an AAU school in a media market they don't currently cover. That's why the Big 10 wanted us.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
We are an AAU school in a media market they don't currently cover. That's why the Big 10 wanted us.
That’s fair... and likely correct. Big Ten was buying up markets. Obviously schools that have moved in these expansions have some monetary gains but are they really better off? If the goal of raising money is improving your program (is it naive of me to think we all agree on that?), then what schools have really benefitted from their moves?
In my opinion, Two benefitted, hands down... Rutgers and aTm. Rutgers went from mostly an afterthought to power five with improved programs and an expanded ath dept. A&M got away from UT and got flush with cash. They’ve improved most programs in the process
Oh, and Utah probably needs to be in that group too. Good move for them.
Then you have Nebraska, Maryland, WVU, Mizzou, Colorado... are any of them that much better off? Maryland was poised to lose several programs due to funding, so there’s an argument they did well. It hasn’t improved their football or basketball, though... WVU moved out of desperation. Where they landed was better than where they’d be as an independent, but they aren’t any better off in the big 12. Nebraska, Mizzou and Colorado got paydays but what have they done with it? Their programs are no better off. I’m forgetting some, I know... state your case!
So the question really, is what is our goal? Is there any reason to believe that funds are what is prohibiting us from achieving it? Maybe more accurately, is there any reason to believe that we would employ that increased funding toward a different, loftier goal? Most of us aren’t interested in the balance sheet unless it translates to wins... and most schools I see jumping around have far greater balance sheet improvement than win totals.
Fire away...

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
I seem to recall that Maryland was in deep debt due to expansions of and upgrades to its sports venues that did NOT result in increased attendance that was anticipated. Was it a coincidence that AD Debbie Yow left Maryland for the NC State job around that time? Did she see the writing on the wall?

Maryland (think Lefty) had issues with the ACC tournament being played in Greensboro every year, etc., but I think the REAL motivation for jumping ship was that Maryland needed cash, and the B1G provided a way to pay off debts more quickly. Oh, and Under Armor founder and alum (along with some other key people) wanted the move, also. Money talks.

Is this wrong?

CEB

Helluva Engineer
I seem to recall that Maryland was in deep debt due to expansions of and upgrades to its sports venues that did NOT result in increased attendance that was anticipated. Was it a coincidence that AD Debbie Yow left Maryland for the NC State job around that time? Did she see the writing on the wall?

Maryland (think Lefty) had issues with the ACC tournament being played in Greensboro every year, etc., but I think the REAL motivation for jumping ship was that Maryland needed cash, and the B1G provided a way to pay off debts more quickly. Oh, and Under Armor founder and alum (along with some other key people) wanted the move, also. Money talks.

Is this wrong?
Don’t recall any details on Yow but you’re right. Maryland was talking about disbanding several athletic programs because of funding issues. That’s why I likened them to WVU... they both made moves out of some level of desperation. You can’t fault them for that but it also hasn’t improved their “revenue” sports.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
You must be in Chicago. Northeast Jacket must be somewhere in the northeast. I see why you would like this. I live in Atlanta. GT is a southern school. Been a Tech fan for decades. I have zero interest in going to Minnesota or playing Indiana in Atlanta. I see no rivalries in this conference until we will have been in it for 40 years. Then, who? Purdue? Battle of the Engineers? I guess if y'all all want more money have at it. I might also remind you that in the vaunted B1G in the 21st century they have two championships from the same school, the ACC three with two schools, and Ohio State got gifted their first championship. Btw, I also lived in the midwest. Yes, many nice people, like everywhere, but some there can't get over southern stereotypes. Midwestern family values can sometimes just be narrow minded values.

GT is not nearly as much of a Southern school as many fans would think. Of the students that come from the United States you have 58.91% from GA, then 5.66% from FL.
After that the rest of the top 10 states are NJ, CA, NY, VA, NC, PA, TX, MD.
Not exactly a list of "Southern" states. Just over 70% of US students come from what I would consider "Southern" states. On top of that over 10% of undergrad students are International, So less than 2/3 of the total undergraduate make-up is what I would consider "Southern". GT was primarily a "Southern" school back when I attended, but I don't think I would consider it that anymore., especially if you want to compare it to most of the schools around us geographically. They tend to higher in-state populations, higher percentages of students from states right around them and alot lower percentage of International students.

GT has grown to be a much more diverse school and I suspect that is what the leaders want.

The ACC is the conference that makes the most sense for GT right no, we aren't going anywhere anyways. Gt doesn't have the 'power' to pick its conference.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Don’t recall any details on Yow but you’re right. Maryland was talking about disbanding several athletic programs because of funding issues. That’s why I likened them to WVU... they both made moves out of some level of desperation. You can’t fault them for that but it also hasn’t improved their “revenue” sports.
She fired Frigden after a 10 win season and Gary Williams despised her. I think part of the debt was a stadium expansion. She headed to a safe haven at NCSU to get out of there as fast as possible. UM never liked the NC homers in Greensboro either. They moved the tournament around some to appease some members but Greensboro always gets more of the action. ACC offices are near the coliseum.

WhatsTheGoodWord

Georgia Tech Fan
GT is not nearly as much of a Southern school as many fans would think. Of the students that come from the United States you have 58.91% from GA, then 5.66% from FL.
After that the rest of the top 10 states are NJ, CA, NY, VA, NC, PA, TX, MD.
Not exactly a list of "Southern" states. Just over 70% of US students come from what I would consider "Southern" states. On top of that over 10% of undergrad students are International, So less than 2/3 of the total undergraduate make-up is what I would consider "Southern". GT was primarily a "Southern" school back when I attended, but I don't think I would consider it that anymore., especially if you want to compare it to most of the schools around us geographically. They tend to higher in-state populations, higher percentages of students from states right around them and alot lower percentage of International students.

GT has grown to be a much more diverse school and I suspect that is what the leaders want.

The ACC is the conference that makes the most sense for GT right no, we aren't going anywhere anyways. Gt doesn't have the 'power' to pick its conference.
This is not about enrollment. Most state schools on the level of Georgia Tech are about 60% in state, 40% out of state/international. Most prestigious state schools enroll the bare minimum in state students that their legislatures allow. GT is a southern school because it is in the south, DUH.

Ponte vedra GT

Georgia Tech Fan

Flame me all you want, at Tech men/women you should look unbiased at the data. We are going to get killed in payouts. IMO our leadership should be actively seeking a move to the B1G. We should get UVA, UNC, Duke, and whoever else they want and make it happen. If not, we go solo and give the B1G a foothold in the heart of the SEC.

Full stop It would secure our future, being in the ACC is shaky ground. We are only going to be pushed futher and further behind. I think in the end, there will be the SEC and B1G.
Agree! Jay Bilas made the comment a few months ago. ACC and SEC should merge.
How about if we radically blow up the present conferences.
Have 4 D1 conferences:
Southern
Northern
Midwest
Far west
25 teams in each
New Southern conference becomes the SEC plus the old ACC southern schools .
Do pods of 5 for scheduling.
Then promote Greg Sankey as the overall commissioner of the new D1.
He then works up the other conferences.
He then goes to the networks / streaming services and works out a new revenue deal. ( equal for All institutions )
He resolves the playoff . 12 or 16
He solves the NIL issues .
Old commissioners can be retained as new commissioners.
Succeed from NCAA and create new rules.
100 schools 4 conferences. ND must join the northern conference.
Would this ever happen?