We need to jump ship

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Bachelor of Science in Engineering emphasizes theories and advanced concepts while Engineering Technology degree emphasizes hands
When I was a practicing engineer, a 4 year degree was required by the state for legal reasons (and to meet code even if it was not required for a PE to sign off on the design). Engineering technologists, some of whom were quite good, did not meet this threshold.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
NC State has a very good engineering school. They may also offer an Engineering Technology degree but I doubt it. I worked my entire career with a lot of state grads. I took a few masters level courses from state at my workplace. Video taped on campus and we watched the lectures at work. Same homework and tests. They had some excellent instructors. My first experience with semesters. GT did as much or more in a quarter but still good education. They were team project oriented which was new for me. Usually one person does the work and others get credit and it was a good percentage of the grade. I actually sponsored several research projects with a couple of their EE faculty. I would think it is a top 25 engineering school.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Not sure about NC State but I worked with a guy with an Engineering Technology degree from Old Dominion. He knew the vocabulary but we didn't let him anywhere near actual design projects. They don't go as deep into the math for one thing. I am sure it has evolved over the years and now there are a lot of software design tools that were not available then. My degree also prepared me for advanced degrees in engineering at other top schools. Not as easy with a technology degree.
Southern Tech (in the '90s) taught the same math taught at Tech. It was just not taught as a weed-out class. The engineering technologists were excellent, oftentimes much more practical, and were eligible to become licensed professional engineers (7 years experience versus 4 years of experience). I have mad respect for engineers that came out of Southern Tech. They later expanded to offer both Engineering and Engineering Technology degrees. Georgia Southern was also a large supplier of engineering technology degrees.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
um, not by anybody I know. It's a middle-of-the-road engineering school, and the engineers I know from NCST are middle-of-the-road engineers. This is not an insignificant number.
I know two recent NCSU Engineering grads who impressed their new employers almost immediately and shot up the ranks quickly. I checked the rankings and their engineering school is the 12th ranked among public colleges. Not GT or Cal Tech or MIT, so I am not claiming they are number one.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
When I was a practicing engineer, a 4 year degree was required by the state for legal reasons (and to meet code even if it was not required for a PE to sign off on the design). Engineering technologists, some of whom were quite good, did not meet this threshold.
Engineering technologists were always allowed to become PE's and sign off design drawings. The requirement for engineering technology degrees was 7 years experience, not 4 years like those with an engineering degree.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I know two recent NCSU Engineering grads who impressed their new employers almost immediately and shot up the ranks quickly. I checked the rankings and their engineering school is the 12th ranked among public colleges. Not GT or Cal Tech or MIT, so I am not claiming they are number one.
My experience with NCST engineers is that they are solid and capable, nothing stellar, nothing to write home about. There are great minds everywhere.

BTW, once I learned how college rankings were calculated and what is behind the criteria, I threw that crap out the window. To achieve those rankings, you have to crap on the applicants and coddle the kids you accept. No thanks.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
My experience with NCST engineers is that they are solid and capable, nothing stellar, nothing to write home about. There are great minds everywhere.

BTW, once I learned how college rankings were calculated and what is behind the criteria, I threw that crap out the window. To achieve those rankings, you have to crap on the applicants and coddle the kids you accept. No thanks.
BTW, both of the recent NCSU grads I mentioned were accepted to GT as their 1st option, but stayed at home in NC because of the in-state tuition difference. One was valedictorian of her high school class (NC School of Math & Science) and the other was probably #3. Both have sibs with Ivy degrees. I think both of these young engineers are indeed quite stellar. Does that mean they are typical? I have no idea.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Most NCST engineering students can't get into Tech. Most engineering students in most schools can't get into Tech. The fact that two outliers were both accepted to Tech indicates that they're exceptional, not typical. Like I said, there are great minds at every school, in every program. I'm not saying a school has to be at GT's level to not be middle-of-the-road. I would equate NCST with Alabama, Auburn, Tennessee, etc. in terms of engineering programs.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
BTW, both of the recent NCSU grads I mentioned were accepted to GT as their 1st option, but stayed at home in NC because of the in-state tuition difference. One was valedictorian of her high school class (NC School of Math & Science) and the other was probably #3. Both have sibs with Ivy degrees. I think both of these young engineers are indeed quite stellar. Does that mean they are typical? I have no idea.
You are a professional engineer and have a lot more exposure to young engineers than I do, so I am happy to give ground to you.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Engineering technologists were always allowed to become PE's and sign off design drawings. The requirement for engineering technology degrees was 7 years experience, not 4 years like those with an engineering degree.
Perhaps. I know in Tennessee in the 1980's when I practiced, if you did not have a recognized "engineering" degree as defined by the state, you were not allowed to sign off on engineering documents. It frustrated the hell out of guys with 20 years experience (but not a recognized degree) and I could. Maybe it has changed since then.

Jetdrive3

Jolly Good Fellow
I don’t follow your response. What “issue” has been raised in the last ten years? Our entry into the SEC? To be fair, some circles have been discussing getting us back into the SEC about as soon as the discussions about leaving the SEC ended.
My point is that the issues you raised are not the issue keeping us out of the SEC now. Honestly, up until the last 10 years all the things you mention may have been relevant to some extent. Now, quite simply, we don’t deliver a market they need. It doesnt matter what conference we’re coming from or how big our stadium is... if we have a market they want. We could add 40,000 seats (and sell them), leave the “damaged” ACC and start winning10 games a year and the SEC still wouldn’t want to talk if we weren’t a threat to take the Atlanta market away.
Even when the rumor mill was swirling about us actually leaving the ACC, we were destined for other conferences. The only people who had us going to the SEC were wishful thinkers or people peddling speculation about an SEC desire of “blocking” the Big Ten out of Atlanta / Southeast.
It was about the SEC entry. A Big Ten entry for GT would be the kiss of Death.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Perhaps. I know in Tennessee in the 1980's when I practiced, if you did not have a recognized "engineering" degree as defined by the state, you were not allowed to sign off on engineering documents. It frustrated the hell out of guys with 20 years experience (but not a recognized degree) and I could. Maybe it has changed since then.
In the late 80's and early 90's most (not all) states allowed engineering technologists with additional work under a licensed PE to sit for the exam. If they passed, they were as qualified as any other engineer. In the mid 20-teens, the swing was moving the other way, to require a 4-year engineering degree. Now there are some states that are mandating a Masters in order to get a PE. I'm not sure if that's going to stick because most Civil Engineers don't get an advanced degree and they're still teh lion's share of registered engineers.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Football is the sport we are talking about here gentlemen, nobody disputes GT’s engineering dominance
I didn't know that was ever in question!!!;)

Some of the best engineers I've ever worked with were Southern Tech grads. They were licensed and practiced in Georgia. I learned a great deal from two of them. They were math wizards.