We need to jump ship

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
But the SEC can and will go to ABC/ESPN and get more money for the SECN and the other SEC media rights because it has OK and TX.
I think the killer deal coming in the future - after the ND deal with the ACC expires - is ND joining the B1G along with another school. I am not sure who it might be, but it will certainly be someone who can deliver a huge market to the B1G TV contract. Of course, it will have to be an AAU member. UVA, Vandy, Stanford, and GT are the only AAU members that could come close to competing and also deliver a huge market. But each has a substantial problem. With Stanford it's the distance. With Vandy it's their current situation in the SEC is pretty much equal to the B1G. And, with UVA and GT it's the GOR.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
What about the ACC is in flux?

What the ACC wants is a bit flux -> Notre Dame fluxing into the ACC. At some point we will see ND join the conference or the the relationship with them will end. Cincinnati and West Virginia would love to be in the ACC. So would UCF. But, none of that is happening right now because the ACC is willing to wait for ND.
Well … I meant college football in general. The ACC seems more set then most of the other conferences, but who knoweth? Btw, I am not, repeat not, looking forward to having ND in contention for the ACC football championship. We have enough trouble competing as it is.

Btw, UCF and Cinncy just joined the Big 12, along with BYU and Houston. I don't think UWV will be eager to leave the new Big 12 either.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Nobody wants to watch GT play, (not even the majority of our own alumni) in what universe would the SEC or BIG want us? We bring zero to the table, zero. We are screwed and doomed. We have no money, we have no fans and the ones we have are Dying off. We screwed ourselves and then blew our chances to upgrade, thanks a lot Dodd and Drad. Might as well get with Tulane, Suwanee, Cumberland College Etc and form a new league just for the outcasts, ghosts and has-beens of cfb.
Picking up your sarcasm.... I hope. :ROFLMAO:

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Others on the board have said the same thing to me, but it’s not so much the “market”, since no one cares which local broadcast station you have. Pre-streaming-and-cable-everywhere the “market” meant you got channel 6 in Miami and all the people with an antenna in range. Now Comcast/ATT/YouTubeTV/Hulu{color}/Fubo/etc are everywhere, and the questions are:
1. (media rights--the big one) for cable/internet are you paying for the package with the conference network, and how much are you willing to pay for that package? (Longhorn Network was the example of people being willing to pay extra just to add tier 3 sports from one school).
A company like Comcast has a pretty good idea how much of your bill will stretch to fit an SEC network vs an ACC network. I'm not saying they have great insights, but they can read the numbers from their subscribers. If they'd lost a quarter of PA subscribers when they didn't add the ACC network, they'd have caved pretty quick. They would have lost a huge share of subscribers if they didn't carry the B1G network with Penn State.
2. (in person) are you going to put 15k fans in seats on the road when you're playing at Auburn/MissState/etc so that they make more ticket revenue?
3. (in person 2) Will you sell out at least half the stadium on a big $$$ bowl so that the bowl contracts don't suck?

One thing that hurts us is that we say "The Quick Lane Bowl sucks! I'm not going!". Our bowl attendance numbers are better than are commonly believed, but the reputation you want to have is "they have a bunch of fans that watch and show up and spend money".
"Bunch of fans that tune in and show up and spend money" = big deal
"School in a major city" = not important
You are CERTAINLY correct that we do nothing to help our own cause in many cases!

I can absolutely buy into the fact that there is a lot more to it... it is certainly more in-depth than I care to understand. I still don’t know how these media deals got so bloated and I don’t see how it can continue. At some point you have to think conferences cant keep repackaging what the networks already have and sell it again for more money... but maybe I’m wrong. That’s where i certainly see value is big programs / big fan bases instead of media markets.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
If GT had anyone doing any long term planning they should consider going private now like Duke and already should have. The BOR will continue to give UGA more and then use it against us.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Tech offered the decision to expand engineering enrollment across Georgia and said no? They have struggled to fill their satellite in Savannah ... hence, the BOR greatly expanded engineering programs at other institutions. I think this was a catastrophic decision for Tech.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Tech offered the decision to expand engineering enrollment across Georgia and said no? They have struggled to fill their satellite in Savannah ... hence, the BOR greatly expanded engineering programs at other institutions. I think this was a catastrophic decision for Tech.
The faculty gets good research opportunities at ga tech research which is a cash cow. The research brings great press for our school 🙃
Iirc, the gt athletic committee has 55% faculty while Uga has about half. Way more Alum at Uga than at gt

Yea- football for the students to un wind- the profs know what's best.

Last edited:

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
The faculty gets good research opportunities at ga tech research which is a cash cow. The research brings great press for our school 🙃
Iirc, the gt athletic committee has 55% faculty while Uga has about half. Way more Alum at Uga than at gt

Yea- football for the students to un wind- the profs know what's best.
A trustee of the University of California system once button-holed Clark Kerr after a board meeting and asked, "Tell me, Clark, what is college for?" Without batting an eye, Kerr replied, "Sports for the alumni, sex for the students, and parking for the faculty."

He was largely right; these are among the major concerns any college president has (I've asked two of them). But your point is correct. And it isn't just research opportunities for the faculty. Georgia benefits greatly by having a world class technical institution available that a) turns our skilled grads for Georgia industry, b) garners new industrial investment and jobs for the state, and c) is a source for new start-ups both in Georgia and elsewhere. That some of the faculty make a bundle by inventing, starting new businesses, and consulting doesn't hurt. Neither the General Assembly or the BoR or the Tech administration want to see this change. That the alums - including subway alums like me - would like to see Tech competing with Bama isn't really all that strong a goad. And that is what we have to work with.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
My son would have gone to Bama if he didn’t get into GT last year. Why? Bama is throwing money at high end kids from out of state. My son would have gone to Bama for roughly the same cost that it’s costing me now and that’s with the full Zell. Bama’s campus is undergoing a golden age of construction. Everything is new and the engineering program is building up big time. As you mentioned, they have pipelines of high end kids from certain areas. A co-worker who lives in New Haven, CT has a son at Bama from a private all boys Catholic school in New Haven. They have dozens every year go to Bama with out of state waived and additional scholarships. And while we can all laugh at academic rankings they also have huge networks for job placements.

Bama is doing the exact opposite of GT. Using athletics to raise all boats. Bama will move up the academics rankings methodically just like UGA has. GT will become more and more boxed in as a niche school even more than now. It probably won’t happen any time soon, but the day is coming where the BOR could try and roll GT into UGA for the cost savings. GT’s response would obviously be to go private and that brings back images of when GT went independent. If GT had anyone doing any long term planning they should consider going private now like Duke and already should have. The BOR will continue to give UGA more and then use it against us.
That would be Xavier? I grew up 15 minutes from New Haven and had many friends that went to Xavier. That's where Jeff Bagwell went to High School.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Georgia benefits greatly by having a world class technical institution available that a) turns our skilled grads for Georgia industry, b) garners new industrial investment and jobs for the state,
I understand your point but THAT was the mission of Tech (turning out skilled engineers for Georgia) but no longer is. The state looked at its needs and it NEEDS a lot more engineers than what Tech could generate at the time. That's why they were encouraged to open satellites (which failed) and ultimately, UGA, KSU, and others now offer engineering ... to meet the industrial needs of the state. Tech is the premier research university, no question about that, but if you look at Tech ... it no longer has a lock on technical graduates.

It's ironic. Growing up in Alabama, Alabama thought Georgia had the correct educational model ... concentrating resources into premier institutions (Medical College of Georgia, Tech, etc.) rather than spread them out. Georgia was getting far more out of its educational dollar then but all that has changed. It seems every institution is trying to expand curriculum but few are rising above mediocrity with the additional offerings.

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
GT grads have a problem realizing the perception of GT in our own state. Several of my kids of my friends have GT on their radar, but they simply don't want to go. They are choosing Auburn, Clemson and UGA.

These are smart students who would have made great additions to Tech. Tech has an image problem, We aren't going to fix it being in the ACC.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I understand your point but THAT was the mission of Tech (turning out skilled engineers for Georgia) but no longer is. The state looked at its needs and it NEEDS a lot more engineers than what Tech could generate at the time. That's why they were encouraged to open satellites (which failed) and ultimately, UGA, KSU, and others now offer engineering ... to meet the industrial needs of the state. Tech is the premier research university, no question about that, but if you look at Tech ... it no longer has a lock on technical graduates.

It's ironic. Growing up in Alabama, Alabama thought Georgia had the correct educational model ... concentrating resources into premier institutions (Medical College of Georgia, Tech, etc.) rather than spread them out. Georgia was getting far more out of its educational dollar then but all that has changed. It seems every institution is trying to expand curriculum but few are rising above mediocrity with the additional offerings.
I graduated from Southern Tech which now is part of KSU but when I graduated it was a degree in " Engineering Technology " not the same as Georgia Tech. Did they change it when KSU took Southern Tech over?

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
GT grads have a problem realizing the perception of GT in our own state. Several of my kids of my friends have GT on their radar, but they simply don't want to go. They are choosing Auburn, Clemson and UGA.

These are smart students who would have made great additions to Tech. Tech has an image problem, We aren't going to fix it being in the ACC.
I don't think Georgia kids are the target. I was on campus recently and walked into the Mechanical Engineering building. I think it was the 5th student I asked for directions before one responded in English. All Chinese. Tech has zero problem selling out its program, just not to anyone here.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I graduated from Southern Tech which now is part of KSU but when I graduated it was a degree in " Engineering Technology " not the same as Georgia Tech. Did they change it when KSU took Southern Tech over?
My understanding is that is now a Bachelor's degree ...

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
My degree was also a Bachelor's degree but it was Engineering Technology, Not the same as Georgia Tech. My understanding Noth Caroline State also has a degree in Engineering Technology.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
My degree was also a Bachelor's degree but it was Engineering Technology, Not the same as Georgia Tech. My understanding Noth Caroline State also has a degree in Engineering Technology.
Not sure about NC State but I worked with a guy with an Engineering Technology degree from Old Dominion. He knew the vocabulary but we didn't let him anywhere near actual design projects. They don't go as deep into the math for one thing. I am sure it has evolved over the years and now there are a lot of software design tools that were not available then. My degree also prepared me for advanced degrees in engineering at other top schools. Not as easy with a technology degree.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Not sure about NC State but I worked with a guy with an Engineering Technology degree from Old Dominion. He knew the vocabulary but we didn't let him anywhere near actual design projects. They don't go as deep into the math for one thing. I am sure it has evolved over the years and now there are a lot of software design tools that were not available then. My degree also prepared me for advanced degrees in engineering at other top schools. Not as easy with a technology degree.
NC State has a highly regarded engineering school.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Bachelor of Science in Engineering emphasizes theories and advanced concepts while Engineering Technology degree emphasizes hands - on application and implementation, My degree was in Civil last 20 years I was VP of a construction company. Guess you have to pick the right degree. Oh and by the way I had a guy with an Engineering degree from Auburn and he couldn't get out of the rain.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Little known fact was part of Georgia Tech when I started but only about 2 years. Click on the picture and you will see the bottom

Attachments

• 1543.jpeg
    1543.jpeg
    753.9 KB · Views: 41