We need to jump ship

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer

Flame me all you want, at Tech men/women you should look unbiased at the data. We are going to get killed in payouts. IMO our leadership should be actively seeking a move to the B1G. We should get UVA, UNC, Duke, and whoever else they want and make it happen. If not, we go solo and give the B1G a foothold in the heart of the SEC.

Full stop It would secure our future, being in the ACC is shaky ground. We are only going to be pushed futher and further behind. I think in the end, there will be the SEC and B1G.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

Flame me all you want, at Tech men/women you should look unbiased at the data. We are going to get killed in payouts. IMO our leadership should be actively seeking a move to the B1G. We should get UVA, UNC, Duke, and whoever else they want and make it happen. If not, we go solo and give the B1G a foothold in the heart of the SEC.

Full stop It would secure our future, being in the ACC is shaky ground. We are only going to be pushed futher and further behind. I think in the end, there will be the SEC and B1G.
Maybe I missed it . Could you consider the SEC ??
We used to be there.
South carolina, uga, UF Tenn, Auburn Ala, would fill BDS.

Maybe uga would help us?

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Just posted this but

"Grant of Rights" deal locking in ownership of media rights for all member institutions. This is a simple but effective way to keep teams from leaving the ACC

Add this and you will see
The ACC agreed to a Grant of Rights deal that runs through 2036 and if a member were to leave before then, they’d have to pay the exit fee and then would forfeit the revenue gained through their media to the ACC. Over the course of 15 years, we could be talking about hundreds of millions of dollars.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
We used to be there.

Maybe uga would help us?
You know me 90% of our fans would love it, but the SEC would not take us we would not bring anything to them. The only way anything could happen is the SEC and Big10 both go to 20 or 24 teams and the Pac12, Big 12 and the ACC fold and divide up to make 2 new conferences. And would this be good?

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
You know me 90% of our fans would love it, but the SEC would not take us we would not bring anything to them. The only way anything could happen is the SEC and Big10 both go to 20 or 24 teams and the Pac12, Big 12 and the ACC fold and divide up to make 2 new conferences. And would this be good?
I'm not much for these mega-leagues, but as you pointed out we're stuck hard in the ACC for the next fourteen years so all we need to do right now is just tend our own garden and go wherever the ACC takes us. Nothing else to do for the next umpteen years. Just get ourselves better and try to win this conference.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
We used to be there.

Maybe uga would help us?
When we tried to go back in the late 70s and early 80s, Alabama sponsored us because of Bear Bryant's friendship for Dodd. According to Dodd's autobiography and a book I read on Bear Bryant, the Bear managed to get most of the SEC to back Tech but UGA and Auburn said no and that was that.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
When we tried to go back in the late 70s and early 80s, Alabama sponsored us because of Bear Bryant's friendship for Dodd. According to Dodd's autobiography and a book I read on Bear Bryant, the Bear managed to get most of the SEC to back Tech but UGA and Auburn said no and that was that.
The Mississippi schools never forgot Dodd’s refusal to do away games in their state, so my guess is they would also blackball us.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I'm not much for these mega-leagues, but as you pointed out we're stuck hard in the ACC for the next fourteen years so all we need to do right now is just tend our own garden and go wherever the ACC takes us. Nothing else to do for the next umpteen years. Just get ourselves better and try to win this conference.
Are you serious? Stuck for the next 14 years? Have you not been paying attention. This is the wild west. Nothing is certain past next month. To believe any of these long term contracts or agreements mean anything is funny to me. If the SEC came calling Clemson and FSU would be gone immediately. If the BIG called Wake and NC State they’d be gone. Some of you don’t realize that just because GT has no balls doesn’t mean other schools don’t. OU and Texas just showed when opportunity knocks that you nut up and do what’s best for you. GT being in Atlanta would be a coup for the BIG. Every Saturday would be like the Saturday after Thanksgiving in Bobby Dodd with the number of BIG fans in the southeast area who would drive from Jville, BHam, Charlotte, Nashville, and Atlanta who would love to see their team play in Atlanta.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Are you serious? Stuck for the next 14 years? Have you not been paying attention. This is the wild west. Nothing is certain past next month. To believe any of these long term contracts or agreements mean anything is funny to me. If the SEC came calling Clemson and FSU would be gone immediately. If the BIG called Wake and NC State they’d be gone. Some of you don’t realize that just because GT has no balls doesn’t mean other schools don’t. OU and Texas just showed when opportunity knocks that you nut up and do what’s best for you. GT being in Atlanta would be a coup for the BIG. Every Saturday would be like the Saturday after Thanksgiving in Bobby Dodd with the number of BIG fans in the southeast area who would drive from Jville, BHam, Charlotte, Nashville, and Atlanta who would love to see their team play in Atlanta.
Are you serious why do you think Texas and Okahoma after saying they are joining the SEC have to wait to 2025 it's because of their Grant of rights.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
It isn't a question of balls; it's a question of money.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
Tech’s leadership is simply risk averse. Better to whither and die on the vine than to swing for the fences. Sorry for the mixed metaphors…

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Tech’s leadership is simply risk averse. Better to whither and die on the vine than to swing for the fences. Sorry for the mixed metaphors…
I agree we’re extraordinarily risk averse, but we’re also the school that got put on probation for taking Physics instead of Biology as an elective, then got busted for a relative giving away $300 in t-shirts and followed that up by getting nailed a 3rd time for taking an 18yo to Cheetah & giving him $500 for lap dances, etc. Those violations are laughable at damn near every other D1 program.