Way too early analysis - GT v. Alcorn

TechTravis

Ramblin' Wreck
There have been past years where our OL couldn't pass protect against inferior teams. Was reassuring and refreshing to see them give Thomas abundant time in the pocket. We looked faster and cleaner in execution than we have in a long time in openers.

GTJackets

Ramblin' Wreck
That's good to hear. Never like putting in a cold QB into a drive unless you have to and while Byerly is bigger than Thomas, 212lbs doesn't really warrant the risk of the switch.

I suspect this had more to do with having to send the offense back out on the field after the review and reversal. If they had correctly called Snoddy down at the one the first time, I doubt you see Byerly come in. But when they had to send the O back out onto the field for what he figured to be just a play or two, I suspect CPJ just told Tim to go finish it off.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
That guy was all over the place. Loved the confidence he played with.

I was like, "Man who's #16 ... wait that's Marshall ... but, no he's a BB ... oh, wait the other Marshall ..."

I was impressed also. Especially on the option route where TM curled in the seam. Good to see the chemistry with JT and WR there this early. Also apparent on the back shoulder throw to Summers.

I absolutely agree @Techster if I see Shamire I might break my TV even though that play was a zone dive

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Let it go dude

Oh, relax. I'm just messin' witcha.

I was impressed also. Especially on the option route where TM curled in the seam. Good to see the chemistry with JT and WR there this early. Also apparent on the back shoulder throw to Summers.

I absolutely agree @Techster if I see Shamire I might break my TV even though that play was a zone dive

That was the moment that caught my eye the most. It looked like such a vet move. Everybody was surprised to see him listed as a candidate for early play over MLD at a-back. Last night gave us a glimpse of why Marshall's out there.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
Speaking of TM and QS, by the time they are Jr. and RsJr., respectively, they are going to be filled out, muscular, speedsters who can carry, run routes, catch, and block LBs and DBs. They are simply a different breed at AB.

Jay Alexander

Jolly Good Fellow
Cant wait for @Longestday vines, especially the 2nd drive with Shamire looking really good

I would love to defensive one also. Rewatching the game, even though Jabari was "quiet" he quite impactful even tho he played a little high. He either caused a double team each play or held the LOS. Also, great unselfish D by Jabari on the 3rd & 3 play where PJ gets the QB hurry on the blitz. Jabari pretty much rag-dolled the Guard out of the gap so PJ can come thru clean

I was watching Jabari specifically on this play. From my view in the west stands, I thought Jabari had come through the line completely clean...had to wait until the players stood up to realize #40 had hit the QB, not #32. Hoping we see lots of this season, and kudos to the Alcorn QB for being able to get rid of the ball.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I was watching Jabari specifically on this play. From my view in the west stands, I thought Jabari had come through the line completely clean...had to wait until the players stood up to realize #40 had hit the QB, not #32. Hoping we see lots of this season, and kudos to the Alcorn QB for being able to get rid of the ball.
PJ flat out beat the OL in front of him. He ducked under the block and was past the OL before he could react. It will be interesting to see how this group progresses as they face increasingly tougher opponents, with quicker, stronger OL's. I'm full of high hopes.

slugboy

Staff member
Before we go all gaga over Marshall, remember what a BB has to do:

- He has to reliably get you four yards on 3rd and 3, and

- He can't fumble the ball.
If he goes 60 on first down, he may rarely see 3rd and 3. Agree he's got to own that ball, though.

Wrecking Ball

Ramblin' Wreck
I am cautiously optimistic; I am now thinking that 8.5 is still the number, but we go 9-3. We are not by any stretch of the imagination a bad team. There are, however, a lot of good teams on our schedule and someone has to lose in every game.

Marcus Marshall may be the best late pickup we've ever gotten.