Way too early analysis - GT v. Alcorn

DC Bee

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't read too much into these early games against inferior opponents anymore, as the spread option can make good defenses look stupid and average defenses look horrendous.

So, being a school night and all, and only watching the 1st half in a local watering hole due to the blackout, I'll start this off and look forward to everyone's comments tomorrow.

1. This is a new season of GT love with it's B backs
2. Few GT penalties, only 1 through the 3rd quarter. Perhaps due to lack of stiff competition and team is relaxed.
3. GT DL has given up more yards and ypc on the ground than I would like to see, but AS has some beef on the OL.
4. JT is still JT. Playmaker. Vision. Awesomeness.
5. Secondary is tight on the coverage.
6. Rodwell has sucked tonight, averaging 0 yards per punt
7. I hate seeing a muffed hold on a PAT, but all is good on the other 8 snaps and holds

And so it begins fellow Jackets. GN.

TechnicalPossum

Ramblin' Wreck
Rodwell had 2 for an average of 43 yds. But, it was in garbage time. (after this was posted)

1st string dline was solid. 2nd and 3rd seemed to over pursue. Line seemed to me to get better push than last year.

Shamire showed good stamina.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
There is a physical difference I notice in terms of strength and speed. Some of it is S&C, some of it is the caliber of athlete these freshmen are. It just looks different, and I like it.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
I don't read too much into these early games against inferior opponents anymore, as the spread option can make good defenses look stupid and average defenses look horrendous.

So, being a school night and all, and only watching the 1st half in a local watering hole due to the blackout, I'll start this off and look forward to everyone's comments tomorrow.

1. This is a new season of GT love with it's B backs
2. Few GT penalties, only 1 through the 3rd quarter. Perhaps due to lack of stiff competition and team is relaxed.
3. GT DL has given up more yards and ypc on the ground than I would like to see, but AS has some beef on the OL.
4. JT is still JT. Playmaker. Vision. Awesomeness.
5. Secondary is tight on the coverage.
6. Rodwell has sucked tonight, averaging 0 yards per punt
7. I hate seeing a muffed hold on a PAT, but all is good on the other 8 snaps and holds

And so it begins fellow Jackets. GN.
I built MM up a lot from watching his high school highlights. He met my high expectations of him, just gotta clean up the fumbles.

Skov is gonna be good for us, he runs hard and looks to punish defenders. Let him get in there and wear down the defense on the first couple of drives and throw MM in there while they are catching their breath, bye bye.

JT looked polished and professional, made good throws.

Summers and Juene looked the part. Summers reminded me of Smelter on that TD.

Defense forced 3 and outs what I like to see, not 100% sure but the Dline seemed to be playing gaps mostly and not trying to attack most of the time. PJ, Milton, and Golden stood out to me.

Alcorn was pretty much terrible but really good teams make bad teams look really bad.

A lot better start than Wofford but let's not get complacent.

Beat Tulane and Go Jackets!

cuttysark

Ramblin' Wreck
There was just a different look to this GT team tonight than in prior FCS games the past few seasons. Skov was tailor made for this offense and what a great decision he made in coming out to the Flats.

Sure it was an FCS team, but something was different in the attitude of the team and wanting to put this team away early and get plenty of reps for the new guys. Marshall had quite a first game aside from the fumble. He will remember that moving forward.

Legal Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Any word on Marcus Allen injury?

Not official but my seats are right by where they took Allen for treatment. appeared to be a high ankle sprain. They iced his lower shin for a bit, then wrapped it up. He didn't put on his cleat immediately after the wrap, but it's possible he did later. Based on they way it looked I'd say he misses 2-4 weeks, but thats assuming that it's a high ankle. Doesnt seem to be a season ender

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
There was just a different look to this GT team tonight than in prior FCS games the past few seasons. Skov was tailor made for this offense and what a great decision he made in coming out to the Flats.

Sure it was an FCS team, but something was different in the attitude of the team and wanting to put this team away early and get plenty of reps for the new guys. Marshall had quite a first game aside from the fumble. He will remember that moving forward.

We should all look again at our games vs fcs 2011-2013: 63-21, 59-3, 70-0 & 69-7.

It's not like we weren't taking care of business.

Yet, we pulled our starting qb and ol earlier after scoring more more quickly.

I agree we look better and more focused.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Can't take away too much from games like this. Basically that there was nothing glaringly flawed is the best we could have wanted. One really dumb play by Thomas, but otherwise he looked good. OL, ABs, WRs all did what they were expected to do against an overmatched opponent.

Defense, or at least the guys who will usually be playing this year, played better than I expected against a should be respectable offense. Depth looks like it could be an issue, but we'll have to wait and see on that. Could just be jitters.

Skov is a hoss and will be valuable, but the way he runs shows he's more fullback than bback right now. Head down immediately bracing for contact whether it is there or not will mean he will be leaving yards on the field due to lack of vision. Still valuable, especially in short yard situations, and late game situations where we are looking to burn clock and wear down defenses. I also see no reason we don't just give it to him every time on the goal line. I don't really agree with switching QBs in that situation, and I think Skov behind our OL should get in the vast majority of the time.

Marshall is sort of the opposite of Skov. Great vision, cutting ability, and burst. I think down the line his footwork in the hole will be invaluable for picking up short yardages especially if the OL continues to open up lanes, but with Skov we shouldn't need that this year. Needs to work on ball security, but the positives far outweigh the negative right now. I think we likely see him take over the starting role in a couple of games, and Skov act as a short yardage back, and a closer of sorts.

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
Our b-backs are thunder and lightning and very exciting to watch. JT was great besides his one Johnny Manziel moment. I thought that Milton looked more confident and played the ball instead of being a step behind like last year. I loved when Vic and PJ were in together! Talk about hard hitting. I also enjoyed watching Shamire during most of the drives. I found myself laughing at him(in a good way). He would just lay on the guy till the whistle blew or barely bump him and he would go flying. AJ Gray a true freshman, had some missed tackles, but overall played pretty well. I think T. Lewis should get more snaps with the 1st team over Marcordes. He plays fast and aggressive while Marcordes seems like he is always a step late in coverage and missing tackles. Golden might be the most sound tackler on our team and was the baller he is. Jabari and Gotsis are beasts inside, and I think day 1 or 2 draft picks in the NFL. 1-0 sounds good, and we are 1 step closer to 15-0!