Way too early analysis - GT v. Alcorn

Minawreck

Ramblin' Wreck
How does Alcorn compare as a team to Wofford from last year?
personally i would say similar to slightly better. The SWAC is just not a good football conference, but Alcorn was very good in it and returned nearly everybody especially on O.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I am glad we won, but I walked away a bit disappointed. I know we played a lot of Freshmen, but we have some fundamental things (ball security, coverage) to work on. Alcorn was outmatched from a talent perspective, but they left a lot of yards out there. Marcus Marshall has a lot of speed, but I was more of a Skov fan tonight. I am not sold on Marshall taking block after block when a defense takes away the dive like a Days or Laskey.

We have a ton of talent. It is still raw, but we have more speed/ability than we have had in a while. I was impressed with the DL, they controlled the line as I hoped. JT is still JT.

Hopefully we improve our fundamentals next week, we are going to need to be much sharper when we go up to ND.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Sorry, I thought it said it all.
His body his primed.
Confidence looks high
Snatched that TD catch differently than I have seen him catch before (made it look easy)

Keep in mind, he averaged less tha 4 yrds/catch last year (for a variety of reasons)

"Looked like a different guy"

I disagree with your assessment of what we've seen from Summers. I wasn't surprised by that catch at all. You may not want to refer to statistics in your posts until you understand them better.

Minawreck

Ramblin' Wreck
Sagarin ratings........Alcorn State #201, WCU #161, Presbyterian #206, Elon #202....sound pretty similar to me
This is not the correct method of comparison, not to mention Sagarin ratings are comparative ratings so where teams are at the beginning of this season has little bearing on how they'll finish.

You can't compare 2015 Alcorn State with 2015 WCU, Pres, and Elon.
In 2011 Western Carolina finished 217
In 2012 Presbyterian finished 240
In 2013 Elon finished finished 211
In 2014 Alcorn State finished 158 and returned several starters from that team.

Last edited:

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
My one random observation was that Jeune looked a lot bigger than I expected. Also, the MM TD run immediately following the AlcornSt DT's sack-dance whilst trailing by eleventy-billion points was just so fitting.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
Great game, I would've liked to see more pressure from the DL, but we won't know what we really have until ND. The guys played fast, and it is great that football is back.

I just have one side note that drives me crazy with multiple guys on this board: when you refer to something being "additional" "very" or "excessive", please for the love of all good things use the word "TOO", not "to".

Techster

Helluva Engineer
You guys know I'm a big fan of Shamire...he did well to stay in there and not sub out, but he had some moments where he went to cut his guy to the ground and whiffed. Sorry, that's just me wanting to see Shamire reach full potential...NOW!

AJ Gray looks the part. He's taking some false steps (which is bad for a safety), and his reading of the game isn't clean...but physically he looked really good.

Thought Taquan Marshall looked great for his first game action, and Searcy looked slippery...something I expected from BJ Bostic. Our ABs also looked really good in the passing game. I think we'll lean on our ABs more in the passing game this year given the inexperience at WR.

Marcus Marshall...you don't want to make too much out of what he did against Alcorn, but it's tough when his first touch goes 40+ yards for a TD, and he gets 180+ yards on EIGHT carries! It's only Alcorn, but you can tell from his ability to cut and get by defenders on the first level that he's going to be special. It was quite the dichotomy in style going from Skov's bruising style, to Marshall's subtle elegance.

PJ Davis...wow. That's a grown *** man playing football right there. Played like you'd expect a JR coming off 110+ tackles a season ago. He's was really good last year, and looks to have taken it to the next level.

Stewart had a funny moment. On that pass to him, it looked like the guys all expected him to catch that 50/50 ball much like we've seen from his highlights, and even JeT gave it a long look in his direction like he thought Brad should have it pulled it down. Think Stewart was laughing about it afterwards.

Just my initial thoughts. Don't want to read too much into this game given the opponent, just glad to have game tape (or ESPN3) of a real game to over analyze.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
I didn't think I could get more excited about this season, after last night ... well WOW !

Realizing they are an FBS (1-AA) team and putting that into perspective, but I'm pretty sure in the pre-game I heard the announcers say they averaged 44 points per game last year and had all 11 starters back.

They did nothing against our 1st string defense ...

slugboy

Staff member
I wonder if playing an FCS team is a bad idea. I'm glad the benches got experience. Maybe a tougher opponent would have been a better experience for our guys and better preparation for the other games on the schedule.

Overall, we kept the game in control and gave a lot of reps across the board. I'd have liked more passing to get the guys some reps there.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
How about Freddie Burden? Dude was mauling LB’s before the BB ever touched the ball.

Was also very impressed with how well Ricky Jeune was blocking. Obviously took notes from Smelter and Waller last year.

Skov and Marshall should be fun to watch. Marshall obviously has the big play ability but Skov is more like Laskey and Days last year where you know he won’t be going down behind the LOS.

Defensively: Thank you Brendan Douglas.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Marcus Marshall is legit. Wow.
Marcus Marshall
11199215.jpeg

Class: Freshman
Hometown: Raleigh, N.C.
High School: Millbrook
Height / Weight: 5-10 / 200
Position: BB

High School: Younger brother of Georgia running back Keith Marshall … Set school’s season rushing record with 2,198 yards and 31 touchdowns for Millbrook HS … Scored all 12 of Millbrook’s touchdowns in state playoffs … 2014 Conference Offensive MVP … Named all-conference and all-Raleigh Metro as senior … Also academic all-conference selection … Ranks third on school’s career rushing list with 3,165 … Holds Millbrook school record for most points scored in season (186) and rushing yards in game (350 vs. Jack Britt in 2014 playoffs) … Tied brother’s record for most points scored in game (30) … Has 4.3 GPA.

jwsavhGT, Jul 31, 2015 Report
#149 Unlike + Quote Reply
You, tech_wreck47, COJacket and 2 others like this.

Many of us were saying he was the running back in this class that we were most excited about. Nothing has made me change my mind.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
My takes:
  • Feels great to be in-season. Awesome to get a win...hungry for more
  • The 69 points need to be taken with a grain of salt, but it's better than the alternative
  • Justin looked good when he played, got out exactly when we needed him to. Should have thrown the ball away on the scramble, but without that mistake Marshall doesn't have a 49 yard TD
  • The B-backs looked very impressive. Skov will be unstoppable at the goal line, and Marshall provides big play potential that we haven't had at this position in a long time. I'm kind of glad he fumbled (almost twice) when we had a big lead. I'm hoping that gets him focusing on that going forward
  • Didn't see much from the receivers, but we didn't really need to. Summers made a great snag in the end zone. Would have liked to have seen Brad catch tbe ball that came his way, but I'm a bit worried the site would have crashed if he'd have come down with it. I'm still a little worried about this position, but the Summers catch was encouraging
  • Our starting defense looked very good. I don't think Alcorn had a first down until somewhere around the 11 minute mark in the second quarter, and I don't think this was our full starting defense any more