Was our defense hamstrung in the past?

Not at all. The defense had/has way more talent than the O. If you were going to be passive it was no need to bring in CNW, handicap his scheme and not play complimentary football
Sorry, but I don't believe that any head coach anywhere would "handicap" his defensive coordinators. Why the hell would one? And I do not believe that the D had or has more talent than the O.

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Sorry, but I don't believe that any head coach anywhere would "handicap" his defensive coordinators. Why the hell would one? And I do not believe that the D had or has more talent than the O.

It’s not in intentional handicapping. Think about Paul Johnson. Has he ever struck you as humble? I’d imagine he probably thought he knew more about defense than every guy he hired.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Maybe because he played on D for CPJ! Good reason to believe him.

I think he played for Tenuta actually. But I always find his insight on football, and defense in particular very insightful. His breakdowns have always struck me as unbiased, fair minded, and even handed where he will admit what he knows and doesn’t know regarding what play may have been called versus what players actually did.

Doesn’t mean I always agree with him in all things and haven’t on minor stuff recently.

As to the first hand knowledge he obtained...it all depends on the source.

Regardless of the why (multiple whys most certainly including some attributed to him alone also)...CPJ earned a lot of criticism for lack of performance on the D sude during his tenure.

But herein lies the trouble with quoting unnamed sources.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
It wouldn’t surprise me if CPJ sometimes told his DC to play a little looser especially when we had the lead. Feel like his thought process was to make the other Offense take awhile to score and then we would go on a long drive and score right back making it a 1-2 pocession per quarter game. Only problem is most of the time even without a lead his DC refused to bring pressure and bring the secondary up in press coverage.