Was our defense hamstrung in the past?

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck
Football has always been an offense dictates sport, while basketball is a defense dictates.

From a purely strategy POV it makes absolutely no sense for a triple option team to have an aggressive defense. Benefit of having a unique offense is limiting the reps that other teams see, and giving them more in game looks slows the other teams defense to adapt and learn for things to exploit. There’s a reason CPJs bowl record and record against teams with 1 or more weeks of prep is what it is. Having an aggressive defense does the opposite of accomplishing that. I mean how many games did we have where it felt like we blew the lead vs made a comeback happen during his tenure? There’s a reason “death marches” exist and a reason people are frustrated about 2013 uga. Triple option works best by getting an early lead the limiting clock on both sides of the ball so the defense doesn’t learn anything to exploit in trying to stop the option.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Football has always been an offense dictates sport, while basketball is a defense dictates.

From a purely strategy POV it makes absolutely no sense for a triple option team to have an aggressive defense. Benefit of having a unique offense is limiting the reps that other teams see, and giving them more in game looks slows the other teams defense to adapt and learn for things to exploit. There’s a reason CPJs bowl record and record against teams with 1 or more weeks of prep is what it is. Having an aggressive defense does the opposite of accomplishing that. I mean how many games did we have where it felt like we blew the lead vs made a comeback happen during his tenure? There’s a reason “death marches” exist and a reason people are frustrated about 2013 uga. Triple option works best by getting an early lead the limiting clock on both sides of the ball so the defense doesn’t learn anything to exploit in trying to stop the option.

Ehh... I’m not sure about this.

If I’m a high powered, ball control offense, as a DC, i want to get the ball in my offense hands. Not passively waiting for my opponent to make a mistake as we a game plan. Far too many times, we made 3rd & long look like a QB sneak for a 1st down. This thought process seems extremely counter intuitive to me

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
He looked fine to me. With the departure of Braun, he’s at RG with Defoors to his right. From all accounts, he’s probably just as strong as Parker and has a better feel on what needs to be accomplished.

Who were the above the line OLinemen?

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Sorry, but I don't believe that any head coach anywhere would "handicap" his defensive coordinators. Why the hell would one? And I do not believe that the D had or has more talent than the O.

The star ratings say the defense absolutely had more talent than the offense, but I know not everyone believes in those. With the additions of Griffin, Ezzard and the possibility of Graham playing, it has evened out somewhat.

I dunno what went on with the defense. We do know that Groh was absolutely miserable and called it a toxic place to work after he left. Whether that was on him, CPJ or a mix of both, I have no idea. Probably a clash in philosophies and personality for sure.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
Oh it’s very true, but im not going to be perceived as bashing the previous regime, so I’ll leave it at that

Respectfully, claims like that made sans real proof just come across as "Throwing Shade". Given your credibility on GT football and what I observed as a fan, I tend to believe you but still - I can't blame PJ fans for taking offense to stuff like this.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
It never ceases me to read the speculations that are expressed as true, with no proven facts to back them up.

To be fair, if we stuck to verifiable facts, we wouldn't be able to talk about much. Speculation is fine if there is some smoke behind it, but none of us are 100 percent in the know here.