Was our defense hamstrung in the past?

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Like the change from Roof to Tenuta........instant dramatic improvement

I’m no Roof apologist but the 2001 defense was 37th and the 2002 was 27th. I don’t know that I’d call that dramatic.

There’s a lot of room for a jump given where we were last year but I don’t think we have the players, especially in the front seven to have a good defense.

I’m all in on CGC but I think 2019 is going to be more painful than a lot of people think.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
There has been speculation that CPJ tied the hands of all of his DCs and dictated how to run their Ds. I haven’t seen much from the DCs to corroborate that but that may be what he’s referring to.

Thats always been odd because CPJ would say something about playing aggressive and our ds were not. That was what he wanted from woody. Plus I have a feeling if that were true Womack would have raised he'll about it.

Oh it’s very true, but im not going to be perceived as bashing the previous regime, so I’ll leave it at that
CPJ obviously micro-managed Roof, and IMO he was justified in doing that. He may have also done the same with Groh, and, if so, again justifiably. But I do not believe that he ever limited a DC as to what he could or could not do. I certainly don't think Woody's hands were tied last year. I saw marked improvement in some areas of the D last year, which I think would have continued, had he been kept. The new DC faces many, if not all of, the same hurdles that previous DC's have faced, and they are all talent-related.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I’m no Roof apologist but the 2001 defense was 37th and the 2002 was 27th. I don’t know that I’d call that dramatic.

There’s a lot of room for a jump given where we were last year but I don’t think we have the players, especially in the front seven to have a good defense.

I’m all in on CGC but I think 2019 is going to be more painful than a lot of people think.

Wow, why did it seem SO much worse than that?

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
CPJ obviously micro-managed Roof, and IMO he was justified in doing that. He may have also done the same with Groh, and, if so, again justifiably. But I do not believe that he ever limited a DC as to what he could or could not do. I certainly don't think Woody's hands were tied last year. I saw marked improvement in some areas of the D last year, which I think would have continued, had he been kept. The new DC faces many, if not all of, the same hurdles that previous DC's have faced, and they are all talent-related.

So you just think it’s coincidence someone like CNW who blitzes like 70%-80%, just decides it would be better to only rush 3 or 4 when he arrived to Tech?

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*

Are we playing Trevor Lawrence for 12 consecutive weeks?