Was our defense hamstrung in the past?

Animal02

Banned
The idea behind this thread is asinine.

CPJ biggest problem was not that he was sabotaging his own defense. His biggest problem was that he wasn’t great at recruiting and, specifically, he didn’t care about trying to sell his offense. He was naive in believing the results spoke for themselves. Truth is, it was hard to convince kids to come play for the offense even if, over the decade CPJ was here, it was one of the most efficient in the country. The negative narrative was too strong and pointing at the stats wasn’t enough to dispute the narrative. Sounds like politics.
:rolleyes:

LibertyTurns

Banned
The idea behind this thread is asinine.

CPJ biggest problem was not that he was sabotaging his own defense. His biggest problem was that he wasn’t great at recruiting and, specifically, he didn’t care about trying to sell his offense. He was naive in believing the results spoke for themselves. Truth is, it was hard to convince kids to come play for the offense even if, over the decade CPJ was here, it was one of the most efficient in the country. The negative narrative was too strong and pointing at the stats wasn’t enough to dispute the narrative. Sounds like politics.
I don’t know if he didn’t care, but the results are what they are. He & his staff couldn't attract the talent levels required to win at a high level consistently. His scheme was had a neutralizing effect, but not enough of one to regularly overcome the week to week disparities in talent.

crsmp

Georgia Tech Fan
I think the biggest reason the defense was hamstrung was because they were constantly practicing against the triple option and not the opponents defense. I think that is a large contribution as to the reason why they fell short.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I think the biggest reason the defense was hamstrung was because they were constantly practicing against the triple option and not the opponents defense. I think that is a large contribution as to the reason why they fell short.

A common misperception. During the season they practice against a simulation of the opponent's. Just like our opponents practice against the simulation against what we run. Just like our Kunis practice to get to stimulation against what we run.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
A common misperception. During the season they practice against a simulation of the opponent's. Just like our opponents practice against the simulation against what we run. Just like our Kunis practice to get to stimulation against what we run.
And not only did we have to fight misinformation from the media and opponents, we had to fight our own fans spreading the same miss perception on message boards. I wonder what they’re going to say when our defense continues to struggle?

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
And not only did we have to fight misinformation from the media and opponents, we had to fight our own fans spreading the same miss perception on message boards. I wonder what they’re going to say when our defense continues to struggle?
We made a big deal the last few years about teams getting an extra week to prepare for our offense. It was hard to get your scout team up to speed to execute the TO, and they could never be as fast. That same thing follows for our D. Our scout team could never simulate a pro style or RPO offense with any efficiency, so our D was always at a disadvantage.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
cgc spreading mantra to counter those who are spreading misinformation.
Did u work in military intelligence ?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
We made a big deal the last few years about teams getting an extra week to prepare for our offense. It was hard to get your scout team up to speed to execute the TO, and they could never be as fast. That same thing follows for our D. Our scout team could never simulate a pro style or RPO offense with any efficiency, so our D was always at a disadvantage.
So if we had had Clemson's defensive personnel the last decade we still would have sucked on D?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The 1999 Ga Southern defense had to practice against an option offense all season yet it was a great defense.

"GSU may not have been the defensive outfit that it had been in the Erk Russell era, but there was no shortage of talent on the defensive side of the ball during the 1999 campaign.

The Eagles had one of the best nose tackles to ever play for the program, in Voncellies Allen. Allen, a senior, was the anchor of the GSU defense during the 1999 season, as he was an Associated Press All-American. Allen completed the 1999 campaign with an astonishing 22 tackles-for-loss.

Despite the Eagles’ record-breaking offense which garnered most of the praise during the 1999 season, Allen led an unheralded defense. The defense, however, led the league in total defense (317.3 YPG), scoring defense (17.5 PPG) and rushing defense (129.3 YPG)."

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1258384-southern-conference-football-mirror-images

jchens_GT

Ramblin' Wreck

Agree about the misinformation. It is clear that Johnson is a great offensive mind and that his system works at the highest level. I hate it that we could never overcome the false perceptions. I enjoyed having a different type of identity on O, and we had some great years despite the negativity.

Does the O affect the defense in practices? I dunno. Possibly it has an effect, but talent on defense negates that for the most part in my opinion. It disappoints me, but after a decade, it was clear that we weren’t going to get over the recruiting hump on our current path.

After some hesitation at first, I’m really glad we are trying something new. I hope CGC’s different approach helps us take more steps forward as a program. Our recruiting ceiling probably wasn’t much higher under the old staff even with increased funding, mostly due to perceptions of 18 year olds. This new staff seems promising with more money, more marketing savvy, and a new system. Like most folks, I look forward to giving this new staff a chance to see how they coach on game day and develop our players over the long haul. Thankful for the past. Looking forward to the future. Go Jaquetas.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
The 1999 Ga Southern defense had to practice against an option offense all season yet it was a great defense.

"GSU may not have been the defensive outfit that it had been in the Erk Russell era, but there was no shortage of talent on the defensive side of the ball during the 1999 campaign.

The Eagles had one of the best nose tackles to ever play for the program, in Voncellies Allen. Allen, a senior, was the anchor of the GSU defense during the 1999 season, as he was an Associated Press All-American. Allen completed the 1999 campaign with an astonishing 22 tackles-for-loss.

Despite the Eagles’ record-breaking offense which garnered most of the praise during the 1999 season, Allen led an unheralded defense. The defense, however, led the league in total defense (317.3 YPG), scoring defense (17.5 PPG) and rushing defense (129.3 YPG)."

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1258384-southern-conference-football-mirror-images
Just a number note for the young guys on the forum.
Was the 1957 Auburn defense hamstring by its offense? Auburn won natty and won every game ? In first 6 sec games the offense scored 35 points and in final game against Ala they scored 40. 75 points in 7 games. The allowed 0 points in those 7 games. By the way they did not play bend but dont break.

So were dl way better than Clemson?
I would say not close but they were very good and had good scheme.

I hope we are going to play aggressive defense till we have that scheme down. It may be painful for a while. Not being able to come out of bend but dont break and get the ball back has been painful to watch.
For people like most on this board watching the offense has been a joy. With the way it used clock the games were short. But for people in the stands who have to contend w heat and long commercial breaks and had no idea of the precision of the offense , watching us give ground on defense was confusing .

How to not get Jimmie and joe? Play passive defense. Jimmie and joe want to play aggressive football

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer

Just a number note for the young guys on the forum.
Was the 1957 Auburn defense hamstring by its offense? Auburn won natty and won every game ? In first 6 sec games the offense scored 35 points and in final game against Ala they scored 40. 75 points in 7 games. The allowed 0 points in those 7 games. By the way they did not play bend but dont break.

So were dl way better than Clemson?
I would say not close but they were very good and had good scheme.

I hope we are going to play aggressive defense till we have that scheme down. It may be painful for a while. Not being able to come out of bend but dont break and get the ball back has been painful to watch.
For people like most on this board watching the offense has been a joy. With the way it used clock the games were short. But for people in the stands who have to contend w heat and long commercial breaks and had no idea of the precision of the offense , watching us give ground on defense was confusing .

How to not get Jimmie and joe? Play passive defense. Jimmie and joe want to play aggressive football
Don’t know if or how much our old offense impacted our defense but also don’t know why a reference to a team from 1957 has anything to do with the discussion.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer

When our defense continues to struggle? So you are just certain that it will?

We wonder what some of you will say if it improves substantially.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer

I don't think anyone actually believes that we only practiced against the 3O. I think it is fair to say that it would be tough for us to simulate opponents' offenses effectively because they are just so foreign to what our guys are used to doing. There wouldn't be enough time or coaches to teach our scout team how to effectively run a college spread.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I don't think anyone actually believes that we only practiced against the 3O. I think it is fair to say that it would be tough for us to simulate opponents' offenses effectively because they are just so foreign to what our guys are used to doing. There wouldn't be enough time or coaches to teach our scout team how to effectively run a college spread.

Practicing against the tripleO for all of spring and fall ball is not insignificant, plus our scout team composed of kids recruited for tripleO was probably pretty ineffective at replicating a decent passing and pass blocking scheme for our D to prepare against.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer

Duh....Blame CPJ and his offense