Was our defense hamstrung in the past?

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Yes, the defense was hamstrung in the past. Reasons:
1. As stated by an active member of the defense in an AJC article (wtte) 'we see the looks in practice that we'll see in games." Further, defensive players sit in on offensive meetings to understand routes and strategies. They could never have done that under CPJ.
2. Not seeing common passing schemes was a disincentive to recruiting defensive talent.
3. Assuming the above are credible, it would help explain why multiple DC's couldn't fix the problem.

And right when I was all set to give all credit to D improvements to CGC. Now I guess I can only credit the change in offense.

biggtfan

Jolly Good Fellow
Not sure why you made your comment. The question was about being hamstrung in the past, not the future. The offense and defense work together. An offense that makes the defense better also makes the offense better. The 3O offense didn't make the defense better when facing RPO teams. It was true in 2008 and no defensive coordinator was able to take the talent we were able to attract and develop what most here would call a respectable defense.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Not sure why you made your comment. The question was about being hamstrung in the past, not the future. The offense and defense work together. An offense that makes the defense better also makes the offense better. The 3O offense didn't make the defense better when facing RPO teams. It was true in 2008 and no defensive coordinator was able to take the talent we were able to attract and develop what most here would call a respectable defense.
You didn’t address the actual assertion of the thread: CPJ sabotaged his defense.

biggtfan

Jolly Good Fellow
You didn’t address the actual assertion of the thread: CPJ sabotaged his defense.

I don't think CPJ intentionally sabotaged the defense but he did hamstring it through the offensive scheme he ran.

Multiple threads over the past 11 years raised questions about teams recruiting against us by talking about cut blocks, not practicing against a passing scheme that top players hope to see in the NFL, etc. The quote from Tre Swilling confirmed (for me) that the previous scheme was a hindrance for the defense and, by extension, affected recruiting which, in turn made the DC's job much harder.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I don't think CPJ intentionally sabotaged the defense but he did hamstring it through the offensive scheme he ran.

Multiple threads over the past 11 years raised questions about teams recruiting against us by talking about cut blocks, not practicing against a passing scheme that top players hope to see in the NFL, etc. The quote from Tre Swilling confirmed (for me) that the previous scheme was a hindrance for the defense and, by extension, affected recruiting which, in turn made the DC's job much harder.
I never heard DJ White complain. I hope Tre’s past issues disappear with the previous offense.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
... sigh...

What did the practice against on October 15th last year?

... sigh squared ...

They Practiced against the scrubs / scouts / walk ons / frosh / dogs/ frogs last Oct 15th. Those people tried to imitate the opponents O

They were not Scrimmaging, under a game like scenario, with the 1s vs 2s and 2s vs 1s. Our 1s and 2s did not imitate our opponents O.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
I kind of hate to resurrect this thread, but I thought this quote (from The White and Gold) was pretty telling. I didn't have a strong opinion before, but leaned towards the 'blaming the offense for defense sounds like an excuse' side of the debate. Now, I'll have to say I underestimated the lack of 1 vs 1 reps.

This spring we installed our whole defense,” Carpenter said. “I feel we’re going to be more prepared this fall as we were in the past."

Curry said, “It’s reps. Now we’re going against offenses we see every single week and the reps just add up. For me, I felt I’ve gotten so much better seeing what I’m going to be seeing this year, it’s helped a lot.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Well I guess this will add some fuel.

“According to Tariq Carpenter, by the spring game last season under first-year defensive coordinator Nate Woody, the defense had only four calls in place. The reasoning behind that was that the defense knew it would never see that specific offense outside of the spring, so why try to find multiple ways to stop it if this was only a month-long endeavor?”

The overlooked effect of Georgia Tech’s offensive transition
https://theathletic.com/966131/2019...effect-of-georgia-techs-offensive-transition/

Milwaukee

Banned

“According to Tariq Carpenter, by the spring game last season under first-year defensive coordinator Nate Woody, the defense had only four calls in place. The reasoning behind that was that the defense knew it would never see that specific offense outside of the spring, so why try to find multiple ways to stop it if this was only a month-long endeavor?”

https://theathletic.com/966131/2019...effect-of-georgia-techs-offensive-transition/

Ya don't say??

*waits for the Gilmore Girls to come in and start bashing Tariq now, but they'll try to disguise is with "well Tariq, bless his heart, just didn't know everything that was going on in the coaches' office"

swarmer

Ramblin' Wreck

Lol four defensive calls after three weeks of practicing. Systematically, CPJ operated with complete focus in preparing his offense. This would be the same as our offense only installing traditional offensive plays all spring/summer; then trying to learn how to run the option when fall camp started two weeks before the opening game.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
Interesting quotes from this year’s guys.

From AJC last year:
“Hired from Appalachian State following Ted Roof’s up-and-down five-year run directing Tech’s defense, Woody had a few objectives for spring practice. One was to establish a two-deep depth chart, though he was careful to clarify that he hasn’t chosen starters. (The players on the two-deep can compete for starting jobs in the preseason.) Another was to teach the base defense against an offense with the quarterback under center, and another was to get a good feel for his players’ strengths and weaknesses.”

I, along with others have long believed the option offense may have limited the defense (including in terms of 1 v 1 reps). The premise of this thread, however, was that CPJ limited the defense, not just by running the option, but by being over controlling and forcing the D coaches to be less aggressive. Not sure any of the recent quotes from this year’s players relates to that and I still think those assertions are a load of crap.

With respect to aggressiveness, CPJ did say this after last year’s spring game: “You’ve got a good nucleus back,” Johnson said. “I mean, we’ve got nine starters coming back on offense. Defensively, if we can create some negative plays and get some sacks, get off the field, who knows?”

Also this:
“We blitzed like crazy (Friday),” Mitchell said with a smile. “We had (cornerbacks coach Joe Speed) on the calls, so, yeah, he sent the linebackers a lot, and we were doing a lot of slanting up front, so I think that helped us to get some negative yardage plays.”

The hire of defensive coordinator Nate Woody from Appalachian State brought the hope of a defense that would create more negative plays than the one led by former defensive coordinator Ted Roof. Friday, it looked the part.

“That’s what we’re looking for, is some negative plays,” Paul Johnson said. “They popped the linebackers a lot.”

Deleted member 2897

I can only read the first few paragraphs, but if the author does not point out that our defense practices against our scout team and not our regular option offense, then she has completely missed the boat on reality.

The issue there is that practicing against a scout team and not your best offense holds you back. But the defense didn’t practice all the time against our option offense. They practiced against traditional offenses.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I can only read the first few paragraphs, but if the author does not point out that our defense practices against our scout team and not our regular option offense, then she has completely missed the boat on reality.

The issue there is that practicing against a scout team and not your best offense holds you back. But the defense didn’t practice all the time against our option offense. They practiced against traditional offenses.

Practiced against scout team offense in a limited capacity. When installing and camp scrimmaging they practiced against the option.