Wake Forest Postgame Discussion

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
495 yard total offense including 427 yard rushing, zero turnovers, 2/2 FG, 2/3 XP (bad snap), 51.5 punting average.Wake KO return average 24.6 yards, punt return average 5.o yards, 4/11 3rd conversions allowed, 0/3 4th down conversions allowed. All in all pretty dang good games in all 3 facets!

Regarding 3rd Down Conversion Defense. For WF - 1st half they were 3 for 4 on 3rd down conversions... ONLY had 4 3rd downs on four full possessions. That means 1 for 7 on third down conversions in the 2nd half. A heck of a 2nd half for the GT Defense! (and that doesn't include the 4th Down stops!!!)

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Big comeback!

First half, all we had going was ST.

Second half was all D and O.

Most excited that we showed we can FINISH!!! Big run by TaQuon set up by great blocks and Griffin finally got his INT.

Go Jackets!

Stream of consciousness gibberish from notes I made while watching the game.

J. Lee is what he is. Fast, athletic offensive lineman who will occasionally make mistakes. Much better run blocker than pass blocker. Glad he is on our team.

Wake Forest did the shift thing like Miami and UNC before them. Tiresome. I really don't think it makes that much difference. Personally, I think the two gap scheme with a nose man right up on the center makes the most sense against our team IF (and its a BIG IF) said nose man is really good.

Wake played in the "Taco Bell" formation we are accustomed to seeing. They are bigger and much tougher than the old "Weak Forest" of old.

Their offensive line plays right up to and sometimes past the whistle. A physical team all around.

My impression of the first half was that we were flat. They pushed us around and we were fortunate to only be down 4 points. (was it 4? sad I have already forgot)

As always, the Austins impress me with their competitiveness and short field "burst". In other words they can't win track meets down the sideline but boy howdy their tackling is usually form perfect and they generally arrive in a nasty mood.

Step is playing well.

I cannot say that under Coach Johnson we have had a better defensive backfield than this one although the one in 2014 made a bunch of big plays. This one is pretty good.

T Marshall is the best running quarterback we have had. Not the bull that Nesbitt was or the all out sprinter that JT5 was but he is silky smooth and just has a gift for finding the crease. Most of all, it is obvious at least to me that he has the respect of his teammates and he loves Georgia Tech. Good enough for me.

Benson showed his talent and his heart tonight. He got the tough yards and was probably not 100%. He and Jerry will make quite a combo for the next couple of years.

Love the way Swilling and Victor stepped up tonight.

On Wake Forest fourth down attempt that failed in the fourth quarter, was it Branch or one of the linebackers that met that running back head on? Outstanding play that pretty much characterized the entire second half defense.

We easily could of lost this game but someone lit a fire under this team at half time and adjustments were made to stop the zone read or whatever it was.

I think Wake should have been passing more in the second half. I understand that they were concerned about protecting their defense in what was becoming a lop sided TOP battle but their play calling got a little too conservative.

For the umpteenth time, I was struck by how difficult it is to prepare for Georgia Tech. They approach things so differently than what most teams are used to seeing. I know you can practice with a defensive back trying to be an option quarterback, and practice without the ball and practice defeating cut blocks etc. But I am here to tell you it isn't the same. They (Tech) are on you in a New York second coming off the ball. Benson hits the hole and makes his cut so quick that it cannot be duplicated in just a few days of practice. Even the line is different. They all seem to have their weight moving forward much quicker than most teams. It must be a difficult job for coaches to tell players over and over what to expect but what they get in live action is so much faster than in practice. About the worst thing is for an outside linebacker or safety you never get hit by the same guy or in quite the same way. You no sooner think you have it figured out and can defeat so and so block then they have some other SOB coming at you at a different angle.

This edition of Georgia Tech football is pretty different from the others. I really can't explain it but they just seem to have a different feel to this team. Not necessarily better or worse just different.

I miss Smelter and Waller. But Ricky and Brad are pretty tough cookies.

I changed my mind about Wake. They are a pretty good team and they are tough. They won't back down from anybody

I am glad we won and I hope we do not have anyone seriously injured on either team. It was a fun atmosphere well worth the money.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
They used that tired cliché phrase 30 years ago during Oklahoma games then Billy Sims or J.C. Watts would bust a 50 yard run on 3rd and 8:LOL::ROFLMAO:

Sick of hearing it. What team is "made for 3rd and long"? Wake was what? 1 for 7 or something like that in 3rd down conversions. This may be one of the biggest areas of improvement on this team compared to last year. We are much, much better defending third downs this year. It is almost like watching an entirely different team but in actuality it is much the same players which is a testament to their improvement over the past year.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Sick of hearing it. What team is "made for 3rd and long"? Wake was what? 1 for 7 or something like that in 3rd down conversions. This may be one of the biggest areas of improvement on this team compared to last year. We are much, much better defending third downs this year. It is almost like watching an entirely different team but in actuality it is much the same players which is a testament to their improvement over the past year.
(y);)

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Jazz Lee had a lot of trouble pass blocking, but that DE is a hell of a player.
One play, we left Vonte in to help and he ran past both of them, to hit TM.
I think the kid had 3 sacks in the first half.
Lee should have overplayed the outside rush because he had KB inside to help on a double. Instead, he committed the cardinal sin of letting the rusher go by him on the outside. TM never saw him coming. Lucky it wasn't a fumble or injury hit.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Lee should have overplayed the outside rush because he had KB inside to help on a double. Instead, he committed the cardinal sin of letting the rusher go by him on the outside. TM never saw him coming. Lucky it wasn't a fumble or injury hit.

QL is struggling in pass Lee continually didn't block him on passes and gave up sacks.Also he had a penalty trying to get a start.. he had a sack giveup last wk.good run blocking but needs real improvement on pass blocking.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I was talking about this one (1:10):

I was pissed at Lee during the game, but in hindsight, he is a converted DL in a system that runs 90% of time. Therefore, we don't practice pass blocking nearly as much as we need to get good at it. Also, I bet that DE for Wake runs around plenty of OT's that pass block the majority of the time. I'll cut JL some slack and put money on the prospect of him improving a good deal throughout the season. Additionally, Lee had a few key run blocks that broke huge plays including 2 tds (reference post above this one). Overall, he's doing pretty good.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I was pissed at Lee during the game, but in hindsight, he is a converted DL in a system that runs 90% of time. Therefore, we don't practice pass blocking nearly as much as we need to get good at it. Also, I bet that DE for Wake runs around plenty of OT's that pass block the majority of the time. I'll cut JL some slack and put money on the prospect of him improving a good deal throughout the season. Additionally, Lee had a few key run blocks that broke huge plays including a td (reference post above this one). Overall, he's doing pretty good.

I watched Lee a lot during the game. Actually started watching him because he had a temper tantrum on the sideline late in the first half (iirc) and I couldn't tell if he was pissed at coach, or at himself, or at....?? I guess when you zero in and watch any player, you'll see some good and some bad. It was interesting as most of the time, like any other football fan, I follow the ball with my eyes. When I watched Lee, there were some plays when he never touched anyone (running plays) where it left me shaking my head, and then other plays where he clearly made wonderful blocks and opened things up for a nice run. He tried to cut the DT opposite a few times with very little success, but that may be a credit to the WF D lineman. I noticed both sacks where dressedcheeseside and ibeeballin were talking about...the first sack Lee got beat badly to the inside resulting in a sack on the 4th down play in the 2nd quarter. Seems to me he was then trying to protect against that move next time, and got beat to the outside instead.

I then watched Parker Braun and Shamire Devine for a few plays each. Both seemed much better to me in that I never saw a play which left me wondering why they didn't hit anyone. Both had plays were they simply blew their opponent off the LOS. May be a difference between tackle assignments and guard assignment though, to be fair.

Overall, I am not judging (I don't know enough to do that) and appreciate the hard work and effort all our O linemen put in. If anyone knows why JL was so upset on the sideline, I'd appreciate knowing more.....

Deleted member 2897

Jahaziel Lee seems to get a false start every game. BUT, it also never appears to be one of the 'I forgot what the cadence was'. Its just his being super aggressive. I am okay with that. His being upset was probably just the flow of the game at that point. In the second half after one of our scores he was just lit - like seriously he could have spontaneously combusted at one point, just completely turnt up. I think he is just super passionate. I'll take him and the rest of our line all day.

When Vic hit that sack in the video, that may have been the loudest I've heard Bobby Dodd since the Florida State blocked kick.

Our downfield blocking is world class. I mean seriously. All year once our guys get to the second level, the safeties are rendered completely impotent. Even across the field - like that last run where Brad Stewart chased his guy blocking all the way across and down the field.

I love our team and wouldn't trade for anybody over them.