Wake Forest Postgame Discussion

katlong

Jolly Good Fellow
The broadcast team on ESPN actually brought up our WR blocking. I think it was Anish (?) that mentioned a Q&A with CPJ and what his spiel was recruiting wide receivers. He said that CPJ hears from the NFL coaches that they know a WR from GT can block. (Take that, buttcliffe!)

This was probably the best non-GT crew I've heard in a while (thank you Roddy!!!!!) It sounded like the two guys in the booth actually made an effort to understand our offense this time. They even dug up a stat on Heisman I hadn't heard before, though probably some of y'all have. (I didn't know he was the first paid college sports coach.)

It was odd to hear interesting and GOOD facts about GT from the television announcers for a change. I was at the game and had recorded it and an SEC game...(Ole Miss/LSU) I finished the SEC game and was complaining about how all these other games were updated in the SEC game I watched that was on at the same time as GT and never mentioned GT, making the point that no one ever talks good about us or considers us a factor or interesting, etc. And then they they did talk good about us. The whole game. Wow. I'm confused. :)

Really enjoyed the excitement in this game, although it was way too close for comfort. I think Wake is a better team than Miami, although Miami has some good athletes and of course a lot of luck on their side that will eventually run out. :)

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Fun Fact: Clemson and Tech both beat Wake by 14 points
28-14 (Clemson)
38-24 (Tech)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another fun fact. Wake didn't have ther starting QB available vs Clemson.

We will compete. Should be another good game. I expect it to be a close one win or lose. We have to clean up some of our sloppiness. Hope our guys are healthy going into it.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I think there was a definite hangover from the Miami game. It was clear to me that Wake was determined and we were questioning in the early going. They were moving the line of scrimmage (LOS) on both sides of the ball in the first half. The LOS is where games are won or lost. In the second half, our guys nutted up and started carrying the fight to Wake.

On offense, Benson was a huge weapon in the second half. He is a hard man to tackle and delivers a lot of punishment with each run. I am concerned that he is also wearing down from the continued battering. We really need to get Howard totally ready to play so we can have a 2 headed monster down the stretch. Howard must be fumbling a lot in practice or I am sure CPJ would have already played him much more. We have to get this in play if we hope to be successful down the stretch. Marshall is still hot and cold. He looks lost on some plays and like a Heisman winner on others. Really need more consistency. His passing is very hot and cold as well. Got to get way more toward the hot side if we want a strong finish. The O line is solid in the middle and when we play Bryan at Tackle and Shamire at guard it gives us our best line up. The other Tackle, whoever we put over there is a liability. Losing A. Marshall was a huge blow in that regard. Lee has the potential to step up and solve that concern, but for now also too inconsistent. Sewak needs to light a fire under his butt. We just can not afford any injuries here down the stretch. The receivers are not getting used for much more than blocking which is their primary job, but it would be nice if Marshall would look for someone other than Ricky. Can Jalen Camp catch the ball? Will we ever find out?

The defense has the potential to be great and they need to be if we hope to really make a statement the rest of this season. The Wake game was a perfect illustration of how attitude controls the outcome on defense. We played the first half uninspired, getting knocked off the LOS pretty consistently and missing tackles left and right. In the second half it was just the opposite. We owned the LOS and tackled efficiently. We still need more penetration from anyone on the field. That is what disrupts offenses and creates negative plays. I think losing B. Mitchell really hurt us but Swilling is growing up fast and I think he might be legit by the end of the season. I hope we can get Brant back but we continue to play Bruce. (It is a similar situation to Howard playing more on offense) The defensive backfield is beginning to play better. I think they have been underperforming up to this point, missing turnover opportunities and allowing too many long play conversions on third down. When you start stuffing offenses on third and short and fourth and short, you demonstrate that you have the balls to whip the other guys butt. That was on full display during the second half. If we can build on that our defense is going to be damn good.

Special teams has some problems but Coach needs to trust his place kicker and let him succeed or fail on his own merit. We can not continue to be afraid to kick a 35 to 50 yard field goal. Your team sees that and it affects their confidence. King has the ability and you just need to give him more opportunities. Our punter is a monster and kick coverage is not great but we can improve that with more practice.

In any event, we will have a chance in every game left but we have to continue to progress in all the above areas to have the kind of finish we all can take pride in. Our guys must play inspired football.

Go Jackets!

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
Was it the UNC game a few years ago where we did the WR reverse?
Yes, and in that case Smelter should've fallen down at the 30 yard line (I'm not kidding). I was hoping that he would get tackled sometime before he scored. That was truly one of those plays where as soon as we scored (and took the lead), I knew we were toast with as much time was on the clock.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I think there was a definite hangover from the Miami game. It was clear to me that Wake was determined and we were questioning in the early going. They were moving the line of scrimmage (LOS) on both sides of the ball in the first half. The LOS is where games are won or lost. In the second half, our guys nutted up and started carrying the fight to Wake.

On offense, Benson was a huge weapon in the second half. He is a hard man to tackle and delivers a lot of punishment with each run. I am concerned that he is also wearing down from the continued battering. We really need to get Howard totally ready to play so we can have a 2 headed monster down the stretch. Howard must be fumbling a lot in practice or I am sure CPJ would have already played him much more. We have to get this in play if we hope to be successful down the stretch. Marshall is still hot and cold. He looks lost on some plays and like a Heisman winner on others. Really need more consistency. His passing is very hot and cold as well. Got to get way more toward the hot side if we want a strong finish. The O line is solid in the middle and when we play Bryan at Tackle and Shamire at guard it gives us our best line up. The other Tackle, whoever we put over there is a liability. Losing A. Marshall was a huge blow in that regard. Lee has the potential to step up and solve that concern, but for now also too inconsistent. Sewak needs to light a fire under his butt. We just can not afford any injuries here down the stretch. The receivers are not getting used for much more than blocking which is their primary job, but it would be nice if Marshall would look for someone other than Ricky. Can Jalen Camp catch the ball? Will we ever find out?

The defense has the potential to be great and they need to be if we hope to really make a statement the rest of this season. The Wake game was a perfect illustration of how attitude controls the outcome on defense. We played the first half uninspired, getting knocked off the LOS pretty consistently and missing tackles left and right. In the second half it was just the opposite. We owned the LOS and tackled efficiently. We still need more penetration from anyone on the field. That is what disrupts offenses and creates negative plays. I think losing B. Mitchell really hurt us but Swilling is growing up fast and I think he might be legit by the end of the season. I hope we can get Brant back but we continue to play Bruce. (It is a similar situation to Howard playing more on offense) The defensive backfield is beginning to play better. I think they have been underperforming up to this point, missing turnover opportunities and allowing too many long play conversions on third down. When you start stuffing offenses on third and short and fourth and short, you demonstrate that you have the balls to whip the other guys butt. That was on full display during the second half. If we can build on that our defense is going to be damn good.

Special teams has some problems but Coach needs to trust his place kicker and let him succeed or fail on his own merit. We can not continue to be afraid to kick a 35 to 50 yard field goal. Your team sees that and it affects their confidence. King has the ability and you just need to give him more opportunities. Our punter is a monster and kick coverage is not great but we can improve that with more practice.

In any event, we will have a chance in every game left but we have to continue to progress in all the above areas to have the kind of finish we all can take pride in. Our guys must play inspired football.

Go Jackets!
Agree with just about everything. Taquon is really struggling in the passing game after looking great against Tennessee. He’s really struggling to hit guys open down field. I think it was the 2nd 2pt conversion where he missed a wide open player in the endzone. Still seems to be missing some option reads too. Maybe some of these are called runs and not true options though. Hard to tell on those sometimes.

I still don’t get why we didn’t try the 47 yard FG in the 2nd half. King’s first FG looked like it had the leg. Even if CPJ didn’t want to give up 7 yards on a miss, we ended up giving up 15 on a sack. Only thing I can think is he was afraid of a block returned for a TD from a low kick.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Yes, and in that case Smelter should've fallen down at the 30 yard line (I'm not kidding). I was hoping that he would get tackled sometime before he scored. That was truly one of those plays where as soon as we scored (and took the lead), I knew we were toast with as much time was on the clock.
I don't think there was a single excited soul in the swarm chat on that TD.

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
Ok I'm stumped (case of the Mondays?). In Which game were we up late where taking a knee to run out the clock would have been better than Smelter scoring??

'09 against VT. Nesbit scored with a little over a minute left on a run down the sideline. As soon as he scored, I knew VT would score and we'd have to recover an onside kick to win. VT scored in 3 plays IIRC and we recovered the kick to hang on.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
If you want to see a team built for 3rd and long, look at some of the SEC schools like Florida. I don’t think they could make 3rd and 8 if the other team left the field.

I watched a Gator game a couple of weeks ago and had to restrain a friend from throwing a porcelain vase through the TV.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
The broadcast team on ESPN actually brought up our WR blocking. I think it was Anish (?) that mentioned a Q&A with CPJ and what his spiel was recruiting wide receivers. He said that CPJ hears from the NFL coaches that they know a WR from GT can block. (Take that, buttcliffe!)

This was probably the best non-GT crew I've heard in a while (thank you Roddy!!!!!) It sounded like the two guys in the booth actually made an effort to understand our offense this time. They even dug up a stat on Heisman I hadn't heard before, though probably some of y'all have. (I didn't know he was the first paid college sports coach.)

He coached more than just football. He was the baseball coach as well.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Cheap shot into the back of a GT player about 15 yards towards the center of the field as the play was almost over and at the sidelines.

Completely away from the play and totally unnecessary. The Wake coach alluded to it in his post game presser as one of the things that got them beat.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Agree with just about everything. Taquon is really struggling in the passing game after looking great against Tennessee. He’s really struggling to hit guys open down field. I think it was the 2nd 2pt conversion where he missed a wide open player in the endzone. Still seems to be missing some option reads too. Maybe some of these are called runs and not true options though. Hard to tell on those sometimes.

I still don’t get why we didn’t try the 47 yard FG in the 2nd half. King’s first FG looked like it had the leg. Even if CPJ didn’t want to give up 7 yards on a miss, we ended up giving up 15 on a sack. Only thing I can think is he was afraid of a block returned for a TD from a low kick.

Anyone would be struggling given the inadequate pass protection. He is jittery thinking about how little time he has. He has to learn to trust his line and look for more than one receiver. Easy to say as a fan. Hard, very hard, to do as a quarterback with some 250lb defensive end barreling down on you after a matador block.