Waffle House Wednesday

IM79

Jolly Good Fellow
"What’s the proper way to butter a @WaffleHouse waffle?"

I'm disappointed in Coach's description of buttering in the middle and letting gravity feed the melt via the waffle ridges to the edge.

I'm more inclined to describe it as a case of laminar flow caused by a higher temperature in the center core of the waffle that radiates outward. And while there is some "gravity" occurring from the melt, he doesn't account for how much butter is penetrating an absorbent substrate (the waffle).

I butter starting in one of the four quads of the waffle and ensure that there is adequate, and even, butter coverage over the waffle. And then ... let the temperature do it's thing. (This is a major reason why I like butter to be served at room temperature vs. chilled in the cooler. It affects melt quality.)

Sorry. I think he blew this one.

Cut him some slack. He was just one of our sidewalk fans (not that there's anything wrong with that) growing up. We need more.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I caught that Friday night and USF comment. But it was pointed out on another site it could be bad editing and was referring to the Sorimg Game. I really need a Friday nite game that weekend. Wife’s family killing me with fall weddings early in the season..... And it’s in Ottawa!

Ottawa? Then they may be forgiven their ignorance. It is established common law in the South which has long held that Football is a religion and Saturday is its holy day. If I were you, I would let them off with a warning telling them not to replicate this offense and let it go at that. Professional courtesy, no charge.

CTJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Regardless of butter distribution strategies, I can see that Coach doesn't put enough syrup on his waffles. If every square millimeter of that thing isn't covered, including the sides, I ain't eating it. When I am done eating a waffle, I still have a plate full of syrup leftover.
Totally agree. 20 years in New England has made me a maple syrup snob though. :LOL:

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Haha! Man do I have a story about that from when we were up there for the bike game lol....unbelievable
A friend of a friend, whom I know, went to Windsor once. When they were coming back into Detroit they were asked do you have anything to declare? His drunk *** said war on your country! Thank god he was blonde and white as Canada snow. Lol. Needless to say they got detained for a while.
Classic example of Michigan States Univ finest lol.
Thankfully this was pre 9/11

Last edited:

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Cgc - w Roddy who is on tv.
Wonder if he will retweet to his followers.

Cgc and Roddy giving props to morpheus AND HAVING AT TABLE AS EQUAL.

Cgc - talking about upcoming events, good old days , his I am home gratefulness, his gt vision.l. W morpheus Cgc is a content machine.

If he can coach a team like he did when he coached defenses that got him 3 broyles nominations, we are looking good.

But since we need to complain , I disagree w his butter on waffle technique. Very sloppy and not symmetric.
The butter is always placed in the center of each of the 4 quarters of pancake. Then each pat is spread a small circle. Pour syrup in a circle that goes over center of each quarter. Not in the center of waffle . Lightly stir and enjoy blending of the swirls of deliciousness .
EAT WAFFLES WHILE HOT .
Ideally eggs come out about 3 minutes later w refill of coffee.
Sorry to be critical

buzz_wiser©

Helluva Engineer
A friend of a friend, whom I know, went to Windsor once. When they were coming back into Detroit they were asked do you have anything to declare? His drunk *** said war on your country! Thank god he was blonde and white as Canada snow. Lol. Needless to say they got detained for a while.
Classic example of Michigan States Univ finest lol.
Thankfully this was pre 9/11
We went over into their fine country with Mr.
Taurus traveling right along with us :)))

They were not happy

IEEEWreck

Ramblin' Wreck
"What’s the proper way to butter a @WaffleHouse waffle?"

I'm disappointed in Coach's description of buttering in the middle and letting gravity feed the melt via the waffle ridges to the edge.

I'm more inclined to describe it as a case of laminar flow caused by a higher temperature in the center core of the waffle that radiates outward. And while there is some "gravity" occurring from the melt, he doesn't account for how much butter is penetrating an absorbent substrate (the waffle).

I butter starting in one of the four quads of the waffle and ensure that there is adequate, and even, butter coverage over the waffle. And then ... let the temperature do it's thing. (This is a major reason why I like butter to be served at room temperature vs. chilled in the cooler. It affects melt quality.)

Sorry. I think he blew this one.

Seriously important. Butter impregnated waffle has a different coefficient of thermal conductivity than dry waffle, which means the antiderivative of the dry melt function plays a significant role in the spreading. We treat this as a nonhomogenous ODE and it becomes clear initial conditions are critically important.

You need a large mass of initial butter planted in multiple seed locations to maximize both the temp delta and the area of diffusion.

Key mistake was starting with only one packet.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
Seriously important. Butter impregnated waffle has a different coefficient of thermal conductivity than dry waffle, which means the antiderivative of the dry melt function plays a significant role in the spreading. We treat this as a nonhomogenous ODE and it becomes clear initial conditions are critically important.

You need a large mass of initial butter planted in multiple seed locations to maximize both the temp delta and the area of diffusion.

Key mistake was starting with only one packet.
I concur. This boils down to a simple rheological and dispersion solution. Butter itself is a shear thinning compound, but under the thermal conditions we can assume that it gains an additional amount of mobility. The trick, as Collins states, is to spread it while it's still warm, otherwise there are too many challenges in dispersal of the non-Newtonian substance in a solid state.

What I think is being overlooked is that while butter is a water in oil emulsion, it still is largely a hydrophobic compound that will allow for greater dispersion (molecularly speaking, of course) in a hydrophobic porous medium, such as our waffle. We can't discount the benefits of butter's fatty side groups in the reptation of the molecules through the micro-porous construct of the waffle, even if it may significantly complicate our model.

Now, as you said, from there we need to maintain applied heat and allow the dispersion coefficient to take place as butter moves from a high concentrated area to a lower concentrated area. Mathematically, we can delve into some of Brigham's work (specifically the 1974 paper I'm sure everyone here is familiar with) to better understand the length scales necessary for full butter-waffle impregnation. However, additional issues arise when you incorporate syrup and generate a tricomponent composite of materials interacting through electrostatic and hydrogen-bonding components competing for spaces within the medium. It may take weeks to achieve full saturation, which will be past the degradation point of the medium (unless properly stored in your fume hood under optimal conditions).

In conclusion, it's not worth it. Just eat the waffle.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
Yall are gonna think I'm crazy, but I take my butter and stick it into the middle of my waffle, while it's still warm, it melts the butter, inside the butter cup, I then drizzle my butter all over my waffle.

Minimal spreading. I like to conserve as much energy as possible lol

Melted butter for the win!