VT Postgame

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
JT did look more explosive to me as well. The extra rest definitely helped him. I was also hoping to see more midline bc their DT was killing us. I thought that might have given him some more opportunities for big plays.

Now that we don't have a shot at a bowl game, I would consider giving Justin this week off to let Jordan get some reps and let Justin get as healthy as possible for the dwag game. That's the only one that matters at this point.
I appreciate your point about running mid-line. I haven't finished the film, but I did see it run, although not much. Personally, I feel our failure to run mid-line well (and QB follow for that matter) this year has been a major reason for our struggles. The mid-line could quiet down a lot of the blindly crashing the A Gap by the DTs from a wider position ( I don't have the TECHNIQUE chart in front of me). Basically, they were daring us to dive and taking it away with early movement by the DT and we couldn't cut them off with the OG, who has to wait for the snap. Another advantage is that we have had a devil of a time getting to the deep MLB flying to the outside and getting him blocked. Well, if you run mid-line, probably one of two things will happen: the MLB will fly to the outside on early AB motion only to find that he ran himself out of the play when the AB turns up into the hole as a lead blocker, or the MLB is lead straight into the AB trying to make a tackle, resulting in us at least getting a hat on him. The mid-line, I believe, would be a great counter, and a perfect tool to slow down the MLB from getting to the outside with reckless abandon. The problem is that mid-line isn't really JT's thing. He doesn't have a feel for it and physical running on the inside is not his forte'.

I think it has been a positive getting the dump offs out wide when the pass pro breaks down. It should help a lot in the long run. They have to go wide, as most teams are spying JT and that spy could blow up the short dump over the middle.

We grew some in this game, even if in small ways. However, running mid-line really well would be a huge help and we just haven't done it.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
I appreciate your point about running mid-line. I haven't finished the film, but I did see it run, although not much. Personally, I feel our failure to run mid-line well (and QB follow for that matter) this year has been a major reason for our struggles. The mid-line could quiet down a lot of the blindly crashing the A Gap by the DTs from a wider position ( I don't have the TECHNIQUE chart in front of me). Basically, they were daring us to dive and taking it away with early movement by the DT and we couldn't cut them off with the OG, who has to wait for the snap. Another advantage is that we have had a devil of a time getting to the deep MLB flying to the outside and getting him blocked. Well, if you run mid-line, probably one of two things will happen: the MLB will fly to the outside on early AB motion only to find that he ran himself out of the play when the AB turns up into the hole as a lead blocker, or the MLB is lead straight into the AB trying to make a tackle, resulting in us at least getting a hat on him. The mid-line, I believe, would be a great counter, and a perfect tool to slow down the MLB from getting to the outside with reckless abandon. The problem is that mid-line isn't really JT's thing. He doesn't have a feel for it and physical running on the inside is not his forte'.

I think it has been a positive getting the dump offs out wide when the pass pro breaks down. It should help a lot in the long run. They have to go wide, as most teams are spying JT and that spy could blow up the short dump over the middle.

We grew some in this game, even if in small ways. However, running mid-line really well would be a huge help and we just haven't done it.

Great points. Midline is definitely not his forte, just another reason not having Byerly this year has killed us. I'm sure the defense would play a little differently with him at QB, but having his physical presence throughout the year would have been very beneficial for our team. I'm glad to hear (or think I heard) he is applying for a medical hardship.

I haven't had a chance to rewath the game either. My observations were from about the 35/40 yard line in real time so I'm sure there are things I missed. 92 was very active and moving a lot pres nap which had to make line calls tough. As you mentioned their MLB was flowing hard and almost beat our abacks to the pitch a couple times. I don't know enough about the nuances of this offense, but is that a time when we could have run the fake toss, counter with the other aback? I feel like we haven't run this play that much this year either. This could be due to our ineffectiveness blocking on the inside.

I will say, I did like the fake toss, boot we ran with JT. When I saw how they were flying play side, I'd hoped we would run it. It just happens that the backside DE for them did a great job keeping contain.

Oh well. Like you said, we grew up some this game. I like that we are getting a lot of young guys some PT. hopefully it will pay off against the dwags at the end of the year and on into next year.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
The coaches didn't play his protection :(71:(

I was surprised we didn't see more of Devine either. Joe was really struggling IMO with 92 for VT. I kept expecting to see Devine get some reps. The only time I remember seeing him was right before an injury or tv timeout.

They ran him on the field. The timeout happened and Joe was back in there. I was disappointed to say the least. I do t know if there is some thing going on, but he was obviously healthy enough to get ran out there so I doubt it's health related.

He may have played some and I missed it. I feel like the whole game was played on the opposite end of the field that I was on.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
........The problem is that mid-line isn't really JT's thing. He doesn't have a feel for it and physical running on the inside is not his forte'. .......

I'm beginning to think that we are never going to get a QB that can execute all facets of the game. It seems too much to expect for any QB we have had to be able to execute the option, run up the middle and pass accurately. Maybe we should be alternating QBs that can mix things up.

I am a b 2

Georgia Tech Fan
I was surprised we didn't see more of Devine either. Joe was really struggling IMO with 92 for VT. I kept expecting to see Devine get some reps. The only time I remember seeing him was right before an injury or tv timeout.

They ran him on the field. The timeout happened and Joe was back in there. I was disappointed to say the least. I do t know if there is some thing going on, but he was obviously healthy enough to get ran out there so I doubt it's health related.

He may have played some and I missed it. I feel like the whole game was played on the opposite end of the field that I was on.
I think I seen him on the field goal sqad.so yeah I didn't see him much.not a good look:(