VT Postgame

18in32

Georgia Tech Fan
And I'm pretty sure CPJ took his foot off the gas out of respect to Fuentes. Isn't that how it goes...?
What you call 'taking your foot off the gas' I would call 'protecting a lead by protecting the ball and running out the clock.' Jordan taking the knee on the kick-off recovery is what I would call a classy move.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Well, didn't see that coming.

Great game by the defense. I have to admit, I lost it a little bit when we turned the ball over to start the second half. I started to have visions of blowing 20-point leads again and just saw red...quickly calmed down though with Austin's second pick.

Loved the effort by Marcus Marshall. He had some tough runs we haven't seen from him yet...

Overall, I'm extremely proud of our guys. That's a tough place to go get a W...especially when we've historically had a horrible time running our offense against them and have looked so bad on defense recently.

If we put that defensive effort together in Athens in a couple weeks, we'll beat those guys too.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
VT made a lot of mistakes against us that we tend to make against them. Just goes to show how much parity there is in the Coastal. I think we made two big errors on O, but they made more than us, and we got the win.

I am really happy with the way the team came together and played hard.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
Really proud of the team today, and actually glad to see MJ start today. He definitely has some work to do, we have a few negative yard plays, but the future looks bright. He opens up some new stuff for us, which I could tell VT wasn't prepared for. The D showed up finally. Now with that said, VT made a lot of mistakes, I think this game would have been a lot closer had they not, but it was still a great W for this team

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
What you call 'taking your foot off the gas' I would call 'protecting a lead by protecting the ball and running out the clock.' Jordan taking the knee on the kick-off recovery is what I would call a classy move.

At that point, GT wins the game with sliding down. It would be extremely unlikely, but still possible for VT to score three touchdowns with 30 seconds left. Scoring a TD would have made VT's chance of winning minuscule, downing the ball made their chance zero.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
That move could be called classy, but more than anything it was smart and evidence of good coaching. By putting that knee down, he took away any chance VT had, however slight, to win the game. If he scores there, it puts the ball back in VT's hands. As long as they have the ball, they have a chance. Who knows, had he scored, a KO return for a TD by them on the next play and a successful onside kick to follow........ I know the chances would be remote, but they are a heck of a lot more remote if all we have to do is snap it once and put a knee down.

Do you guys remember a few years ago when CPJ asked our defense to let UGA score in the waning minutes in Athens? Well, they obliged, ran the ball in, went up 8, which sounded good, but it gave us the ball back and we had a last drive chance to score and tie the game. We didn't get it done, but if they just put a knee down past the sticks we had no chance.

slugboy

Staff member
Obviously a trick question... Based upon the stats below, which team won?

View attachment 1995

Proof that turnovers made the difference. :)

What was our average starting position?
Even if the stats didn't show it, turnovers were the biggest factor of all. Even field goals would've changed this game

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
As for Jordan sliding, I understand the point about certain win versus minuscule chance of losing, but a 17 point lead with <30 seconds is pretty safe. I like the classy move story much better.

LibertyTurns

Banned
First off, you X & O's guys on here are just amazing. I watch the game & I see a good play and think "man that was good blocking" or "the Q/A/B Back Made a good cut, etc. Wish I understood the game at the level you all do but that will never happen. Thanks for the insights.

I think our Team came out and rallied around the back up- both sides of the ball. It helps that the back up is capable and helped immensely we got off to a good start. MJ is fully capable of running this offense well. He's got rough spots because he's green but we saw you can obviously put a game plan in with him at the helm and succeed. I had visions of the "Goose is Loose" on his TD run.

This Team established a foundation for next year this weekend. It's going to be a fun ride. I believe we were at the proverbial fork in the road & just went RIGHT.

Go Jackets!

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
This stood out to me like a sore thumb

. (Defensive coordinator) Bud (Foster) is a really good defensive coach and they do a good job. They had changed a pretty good deal of how they played us the year before, and so we had to try to change some things, and then when we did, they changed some things back, but most of it was kind of between the tackles.”

I'm ready to see @Longestday film, but this is the 1st time I remember VT playing this conservative on defense. Not many of their Rovers blitz the weak side b-gap, not any corner fires. Very conventional look with the deep 7-8yd MLB and outside backers stacked on the DEs

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Is that what was going on? I know we had a ton of success with Marshall cutting behind the center on the backside of the play, but I thought he was just reading holes. Was that called?

On the BB touchdown with the LG pulling right you could see the MLB following the pulling G and taking himself out of the play.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I spent about 30 minutes today reading VT forums. I learned that we are an inferior team, an average team, have no business on the field with VT, the QB should be benched for not scoring more on such a terrible D, Bud Foster has no clue, and the HC should be fired.

My HS and college basketball coaches made something very clear to me and my teammates: Never berate the guys who just beat you. Next season, or whenever we might lose another game, lets remember that lesson.

If you took the 14 points in Vegas, you're drinking a good brand of bourbon today. Enjoy. The Hokie fans are miserable.