VT Postgame

GTfan4Life

Jolly Good Fellow
What you call 'taking your foot off the gas' I would call 'protecting a lead by protecting the ball and running out the clock.' Jordan taking the knee on the kick-off recovery is what I would call a classy move.

I was being rather tongue in cheek, though I see it was done poorly. I like how we played the game throughout the second half. I, too, think most of the yards VT gained against our D were junk yards and CPJ/CTR were right to move to "protect the lead" mode. However, whenever we get "junk" yards and tighten or keep close in games with other teams (see: Clemson) we're told it's because the other team let off the gas. I just thought it was nice for us to be in a place to do the same.

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
I spent about 30 minutes today reading VT forums. I learned that we are an inferior team, an average team, have no business on the field with VT, the QB should be benched for not scoring more on such a terrible D, Bud Foster has no clue, and the HC should be fired.
For all of the gnashing of teeth we've had over the last 2 seasons, that makes 2 in a row in Blacksburg. What makes it even more enjoyable, is knowing my Hokie neighbor got to witness the *** kicking first hand yesterday.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
The Hokie fans are miserable.

The VT that showed up in yesterday's game was flat, emotionless and robotic. One of the game announcers had said in the broadcast that they walked the VT bench and observed zero interest in the game.

Hard to blame the opponent under such conditions. A lot of success in life is often just due to showing up.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
For all of the gnashing of teeth we've had over the last 2 seasons, that makes 2 in a row in Blacksburg. What makes it even more enjoyable, is knowing my Hokie neighbor got to witness the *** kicking first hand yesterday.
My wife & I attended the game with our good friends who are Hokie grads/fans. He congratulated me on the win, but changed the subject to discuss where we were going for dinner. My wife pinched me before I could change it back.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
For a few years now you could see that Bud Foster had a set of keys he would read on defense, one of which was going with our pulling guards regardless of the direction of the play. Well, CPJ had a trick up his sleeve today, running behind the back side of his pulling guards. Priceless. The game was won with turnovers AND traps (as described)on the interior. We also screwed with their timing of the snap with fake AB motion.

The trap is the companion play to the counter option. Here's JD running it in 2009 against Wake Forest:

If you watch Marshall's long TD run the safety and LB's overrun the play because they think it's counter option, running to where they think the playside is. The subtle, little thing that springs it is Jahaziel's play. He first slips through the DE and avoids contact and then gets just enough contact on the safety to spring Marshall free. The same thing happened on Jordan's long run; Kenny Cooper slips through to the second level and gets just enough of his man to keep him from bringing "Jordan Matthews" down.

It's nice to see great blocking, but it's also nice to see that the subtle things went our way this game.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I suppose not.
I disagree completely. The VT fans around us were definitely "in the game" and the team was very lively in warm-ups. I don't buy the story about them not paying attention. Maybe the 14 point odds made them over confident and I would buy that as the people around us were talking serious trash to me in my GT cap. "You might wanna consider leaving at the half, it's a long drive back to Atlanta and the game will be over by then. You won't miss nothing." At the half, I turned to one really nice guy, winked and asked him if he was leaving. Jordan had just scored and the crowd around us was very quiet.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I disagree completely. The VT fans around us were definitely "in the game" and the team was very lively in warm-ups. I don't buy the story about them not paying attention

Sorry. I was not at the game. But what I shared is what the on field announcer said when he walked the VT team bench. He was referring to the VT players, not the fans.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Sorry. I was not at the game. But what I shared is what the on field announcer said when he walked the VT team bench. He was referring to the VT players, not the fans.
I saw the replay on ESPN today, but did not hear that. At about what point did the announcer say that?

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
I saw the replay on ESPN today, but did not hear that. At about what point did the announcer say that?
I think just after the second FG, or MJ TD run. I don't he said they weren't interested in the game but that the sidelines was dead and nobody was trying teammates pumped up.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
We punched them in their mouths. I honestly think they thought they would just show up. Hard for a team not to just turn it on unless you have Alabama on your jersey.
Yesssss. Apparently, a whole lot of teams (Clemson, Michigan, Washington) has pretty much the same problem.

Now all we have to do is get our team to not act the same next week against UVA. The Snobs haven't won many games this year, but they've been there in most of them. Let's hope that our win at Blacksburg doesn't go to our heads. I'd show this for the rest of the week:

True, how true.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Turnovers were key and our guys made some great plays getting them. Getting a lead on them early and playing from out in front was such a welcome change. Haven't done that a ton this year and I think that made VPoly press a bit. Hope we can do the same in our last 3 games.